The Sewing Place

A blast from the past, the first pattern I ever bought

wrenkins

Re: A blast from the past, the first pattern I ever bought
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2020, 18:12:05 PM »
Think yourself lucky @KayK. When I started grammar I could walk down the corridor and under the wall mounted fire hoses.
Then one September I couldn't.  :faints:
My mum made me a pale blue with white polka dot, seersucker dress with a ring pull zip. I can remember her carefully explaining why the fabric was bumpy and what it was called.  :loveit:
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2020, 19:33:05 PM »
@KayK I’m the same!   Little and good as they say.  Yeah right! :rolleyes:

BrendaP

« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2020, 19:41:24 PM »
I can't remember the first pattern I bought, but I do remember making a couple of shift dresses by drawing around an existing dress to use as a pattern.  I think it might have had a bust dart but that was it, just straight up and down.  To make the waist go in they had a tie belt.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Surest1tch

« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2020, 19:56:05 PM »
I think I was about 14 when I made my first proper wearable garment. It was a heavy crepe white trouser suit because I adored John Lennon, I couldn't tailor then so instead of a jacket I made a sleeveless vee neck tunic top to it. I loved that suit so much and wore it until it literally dropped to bits.

Catllar

« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2020, 04:00:17 AM »
1963  I was making shift dresses from a Simplicity pattern and Bushbaby fabric in dark colours.  Fisheye darts, long back zip and faced neck and armholes. Made them up in the afternoon and wore them that evening. I keep looking in vintage patterns but have never seen one I recognise.

Oh bushbaby fabric - I remember that! Can't remember my first pattern but my first non-school sewing class garment was a  black gathered skirt with laces and ribbons round the bottom for dance class - tarantella! I was so proud of that skirt.

I will also never forget the garment that started my life-long back problems - I was  16 and cutting out on the floor a dark purple and black checked wool, skirt, jacket and trousers. Being lazy I couldn't be bothered to get up and move round so I over stretched and my back went ping. I was in the house on my own for 4 hours till mum got back from work and from there I was 6 weeks in hospital. Start of a lifetime of problems cos I'd been misdiagnosed and incorrectly treated for slipped disc when it was really a dislocated hip.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2020, 04:04:39 AM by Catllar »
If life gives you lemons, add to gin and tonic !

Gernella

« Reply #20 on: May 31, 2020, 10:39:04 AM »
I do remember one that I made for Christmas, it had loads of fabric in and puffed out, I felt like the Queen.  Mum washed it and all the 'stuffing' out of it, it went all flat and not nice at all.   Then there was the shirtwaister dress with a lurex thread through, that got a lot of wear.     

The year before I had to give up hairdressing I went on a course to Germany part paid for by Wella.  I have a photo of me somewhere holding up my colouring certificate.  Every now and again it turns up when I have a sort out and I get waves of nostalgia (for my youth).  Where has the flipping time gone?     
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included