The Sewing Place

Labels?

Efemera

Re: Labels?
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2020, 08:33:11 AM »
You don’t like pockets? :scream:... pockets are fabulously seditious things..

https://medium.com/verve-up/the-bewildering-and-sexist-history-of-womens-pockets-1edf3a98117

wrenkins

« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2020, 08:45:44 AM »
A young friend of mine had a fairy tale wedding on the island on Lake Bled followed by a reception in the castle. It was fabulous and one of the things I noticed apart from the glorious weather, the flower bedecked boats, how happy they all looked...his Mrs had pockets in her wedding dress.  :loveit:

You must have the labels Effie.
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

Acorn

« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2020, 09:55:06 AM »
Pockets mean freedom from handbags!
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

UttaRetch

« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2020, 09:57:44 AM »
@wrenkins, somehwere to keep the valium to stop a total meltdown at the alter.

BrendaP

« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2020, 10:14:49 AM »
So she tries to sell me my own coat I don't even like back.  All I can do is laugh, open my jacket with the same label in it (because I made them both) and was like "Oh I know!  They're such a great company!"

That's the best use of a label that I've heard of.  :thumbsup:  They have their uses, if only to tell me whether a charity ship shirt is 100% cotton and so worth buying for P&Q stash, but so many of them fade in the wash and as for the scratchy things sewn into the back of jumpers  :ninja:  I've cut so many of them out!

As for pockets - they are necessary in coats and jackets because that's where gloves live, but they are not necessary in other germents - even on jeans they are only decorations.  All the other bits and bobs go into a bag - if I don't want to carry one I use a bum-bag around my waist though I prefer the actual bag to be at the front or sitting on my hip.

Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

wrenkins

« Reply #20 on: May 31, 2020, 10:15:57 AM »
 0_0 I don't think so Utta. She was marrying the only person on this planet I would trust with my life. A small tissue perhaps to dab her eyes when she read the love letter he wrote her on her wedding day and included with the necklace and earrings wedding gift that matched her engagement ring. Or the USB stick containing all the photographs they had taken at Lake Bled when they had travelled there years earlier as teens with the little Island between them in the background.
It really was sick making!!!!  :faints: 0_0 0_0 0_0
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

Lowena

« Reply #21 on: May 31, 2020, 10:23:24 AM »
I hate labels in clothing and on quilts
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Ellabella

« Reply #22 on: May 31, 2020, 12:12:46 PM »
I nearly bought some for DH, they read ‘this is the back’

Efemera

« Reply #23 on: May 31, 2020, 12:57:01 PM »
I love pockets in absolutely everything....

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #24 on: May 31, 2020, 13:23:32 PM »
I couldn't live without pockets - where would I put my tissue, my phone, my dog treats, my keys when I go out??

Fabric Lover

« Reply #25 on: June 02, 2020, 00:16:41 AM »
I also hate labels and cut them out of RTW clothing. Also what I don’t understand is why manufacturers put black labels inside a light coloured top - or vice versa? Very irritating!  ><
Stitching in Staffordshire with Style! (Well hopefully anyway)

Kwaaked

« Reply #26 on: June 02, 2020, 01:14:56 AM »
You don’t like pockets? :scream:... pockets are fabulously seditious things..

https://medium.com/verve-up/the-bewildering-and-sexist-history-of-womens-pockets-1edf3a98117

I knew all that, still...don't get the desire for pockets on everything, everywhere.  As a feminine sign, I get it.  As a OMG this has pockets and I am going to tell everyone!  I don't get it.

We sew.  You don't like the pocket, you fix it.  You want a pocket, you add it.  If you can't sew...don't buy it or get it altered.  But even in men's clothes their pockets are also becoming smaller and less useful, so it's not entirely a woman's sphere now.  It's a garment industry is cheap problem overall.

Some of my clothes have pockets, some don't.  Some are useful, some aren't.  Some I've taken out.  I wear a shop coat when I work  to put stuff into those pockets because even if my clothes has them, I am not putting sharp, pointy things in them.  Same reason I use and apron and those pockets: I don't want the stuff I need from one room to another in my nice clothes.

Without the politics, I don't generally find pockets to be more then a place to shove my hands in when I have to talk to people.  Which is rude.  I carry an agenda as a wallet and WTF am I going to do now item, which doesn't fit into a pocket on a good day, I don't care for the feeling of a phone on my bum and I really don't need to carry cigarettes in my pocket because I'd likely break my antique cases if I did that.  I'm OCD about money, so shoving that in my pocket is not happening, and credit cards have a chip that the lint can damage and make it hard to use...so no, I don't get them really.  (To be fair, I don't get men having a wallet the size of a baseball either, or having to sit on it all day, every day and ruining their stuff, too.)

Tiggy

« Reply #27 on: June 02, 2020, 06:54:36 AM »
I put labels in the clothes I make for my GD.  Specifically so that her mum knows where the back is!  (Shorts etc). I bought a roll of ribbon labels from Dunelm which say ‘made with love’ which is suitable for a toddler.  Then the toddlers DAD complained that I didn’t put a label in the shirt I made for his Christmas Present.....  so either her wants a ‘made with love’ label, or, he can’t tell which way round the shirt goes...
Pfaff Creative 4.5 ,  Babylock Gloria
Janome 3800QE

snoozi soozi

« Reply #28 on: June 02, 2020, 07:19:40 AM »
Well, I'm tight, I don't put a label in the back I stitch in a short piece of ribbon.  :rolleyes:

Of course, this is also good for hanging purposes
Let it sew, let it sew, let it sew

Tamnymore

« Reply #29 on: June 02, 2020, 07:44:25 AM »
Yes I always add pockets if there are none on the patterm. Where else do you keep your snot rags?
'One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art.' Oscar Wilde