The Sewing Place

My mum's sewing machine has died...

JudyN

My mum's sewing machine has died...
« on: May 30, 2020, 19:59:38 PM »
My mum's sewing machine is another casualty of Covid-19 - it expired while she was making facemasks. She doesn't think it's worth trying to fix it as parts of it are already held together with Sellotape. I was wondering if anyone had recommendations for a replacement, please?

She doesn't want 'fancy stitches' - really just wants straight stitch, reverse & zig zag, though I've told her that she probably won't find one of decent quality that doesn't have a few bells & whistles. She'd want to buy mail order as she's in her 80s and probably best avoiding shops even when they do reopen. Ideally she'd order one from John Lewis though they only have two in stock for under £300 - I don't think she'd want to pay more.

I don't suppose anyone has any experience of John Lewis own-brand machines such as this one? https://www.johnlewis.com/john-lewis-partners-jl111-sewing-machine-blue-ditsy/p3330101

Any other suggestions would be welcome too - if I know a specific model I can hunt round for reliable places to order it from.

Thank you :D

I've not done any sewing for ages, thanks to my OH working from home and taking over my sewing table. And at this time of year, the garden tempts me more.

Efemera

Re: My mum's sewing machine has died...
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2020, 21:30:20 PM »
I may be wrong but I think their machines are made by Janome,

Acorn

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2020, 21:31:27 PM »
That was my thought, but I wasn't sure.  That is a very pretty machine anyway!
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

JudyN

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2020, 21:48:55 PM »
That rings a bell now, Efemera - I'll have to see if I can find any more reviews for it.

The bricks-&-mortar shop I bought my Juki from sells online now and has my model in stock so I suggested she might want to consider that one (so she can blame me if she doesn't like it :S), though she doesn't really want to spend that much.

Helen M

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2020, 22:02:15 PM »
I'm not sure but I think this is the same machine (different colourway) to the lovely pink one that @Manuela has/had. Maybe she could confirm. There are a couple of others that are Janome on their website that are a little bit more expensive, a friend of mine was given one and was pleased with it. I can't recall the number but it wasn't the 725 and had a top loading bobbin. I'll try and find the details and come back.
Stash Busting 2024 - Goal: 25 metres
So far:  1.5 metres  ------ Donated : 0 metres
Items decluttered: 55

Helen M

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2020, 22:08:26 PM »
I'm not sure but I think this is the same machine (different colourway) to the lovely pink one that @Manuela has/had. Maybe she could confirm. There are a couple of others that are Janome on their website that are a little bit more expensive, a friend of mine was given one and was pleased with it. I can't recall the number but it had a top loading bobbin. I'll try and find the details and come back.

PS have checked and it was the 7025 but it looks to be out of stock at JL so not much help to you. It has gone up in price though since her daughter and I checked it out!
Stash Busting 2024 - Goal: 25 metres
So far:  1.5 metres  ------ Donated : 0 metres
Items decluttered: 55

Vezelay

« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2020, 22:09:45 PM »
There's a bit of a review of the John Lewis machine (the JL111) here. She says it's really the same machine as the JL110 which is reviewed here

All the specs are in the product description in your link @JudyN. Someone else here was looking for a beginner's machine and they could certainly do worse than this.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2020, 22:12:17 PM by Vezelay »

wrenkins

« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2020, 22:17:34 PM »
That was @Jabandmove. What 12 year old wouldn't like that?  :loveit:
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

Iminei

« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2020, 07:31:46 AM »
Very pretty but if I recall correctly (and I do as I gave Luke, neighbours husband the details) my neighbour was given a cute JL branded SM for Christmas a few years ago .. It was pocket money prices similar to the one in the first post and it was a pocket money throwaway machine ... very fast, very flimsy ... not a good machine at all, I think Lucy used it once or twice then gave up!

If she only wants simple ... few stitches etc  I would look for a good reconditioned old Singer ... The one her mum probably had!

They look beautiful, they sew beautifully ... Whats not to like
« Last Edit: May 31, 2020, 07:33:23 AM by Iminei »
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

JudyN

« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2020, 07:44:43 AM »
If she only wants simple ... few stitches etc  I would look for a good reconditioned old Singer ... The one her mum probably had!

That's what she used to have, and then passed on to me - the classic 201k! I only got a new one because I wanted to be able to sew stretch fabrics. A reconditioned good-quality Singer would be ideal, but she wouldn't want the faff of finding one online, ensuring it was guaranteed, and so on.

So many machines are out of stock. I wonder if this is because of limited production or problems with the supply chain, or if everyone's talkingup sewing because they have time on their hands.

Ploshkin

« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2020, 08:35:26 AM »
I believe it's the last one - there has been a massive increase in sales of sewing machines.
Life's too short for ironing.

JudyN

« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2020, 09:33:41 AM »
With any luck, assuming she doesn't want to wait until stocks return to normal and she's allowed out, the lack of choice will make the decision-making process much easier :thumbsup:

StitchinTime

« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2020, 09:47:20 AM »
I don’t how far you are from your mum and the sewing machine shop, but would it be worthwhile ringing them to see if they have any second hand machines that they have taken in as part exchange. These probably won’t have their boxes and so may be collection only.

JudyN

« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2020, 09:55:11 AM »
That's a good idea, @StitchinTime Unfortunately, she's about 2.5 hours' drive away, and the shop's about half an hours' drive from me too. So not being a senior government advisor, that's not something I'd be happy to do right now ;)

JudyN

« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2020, 13:45:13 PM »
The JL one is now out of stock too. She seems to want a Singer as that's what she's always had, and is looking at this one:

https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/home-appliances/sewing-machines/sewing-machines/singer-start-1306-sewing-machine-white-10207680-pdt.html

It looks a bit small to me, and maybe 4.3 kg is a bit light? My Juki is 7.1kg.