The Sewing Place

My mum's sewing machine has died...

StitchinTime

Re: My mum's sewing machine has died...
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2020, 14:00:37 PM »
I think your mum would be disappointed with that machine as it is not full size - it is like the John Lewis Mini machines. I have a JL mini that I used to take to a P&Q club - it was light to carry but very slow and struggled with more than four layers of quilting cotton.

Are there any bricks and mortar sewing shops near your mum that might have second hand machines that they could deliver?

WildAtlanticWay

« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2020, 14:23:20 PM »
@JudyN

This machine always has great write-ups and is metal bodied. I swapped to Brother sewing machines from Singer and haven't been disappointed.

https://www.argos.co.uk/product/4602576

Greybird

« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2020, 14:31:51 PM »
It won't be a Singer either - just an anonymous machine bearing the Singer name. To get a genuine Singer machine it needs to have been made pre 1980 when they went out of business.

Jabandmove

« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2020, 15:07:11 PM »
It was me  :|

I managed to get hold of a Brother machine from a friend who no longer used it for my daughter.

So far so good

That was @Jabandmove. What 12 year old wouldn't like that?  :loveit:

JudyN

« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2020, 19:12:30 PM »
Panic over... She took a couple of panels off, fiddled around, put them back on, and it works again :D Thanks for all the great advice though - I've told her that when she's allowed out again she should look round to get a feel for what she'd like when her machine finally dies. Hopefully she won't just assume now that if it's Singer it'd bound to be good.

I also discovered that the few suitable machines Amazon had in stock were grossly overpriced - e.g. up from £80 to £189 ><