The Sewing Place

Skirt fit

windthebobbin

Skirt fit
« on: June 17, 2020, 21:01:43 PM »

Thank you for the lovely warm welcome!

SO, I was hoping to get a bit of help with my first sewing project...it's really easy so please don't laugh  0_0

We've used a free online pattern for an A Line skirt to try and make my teenage daughter some cute little mini skirts for summer.

We've got a far as the toile, with a zip, facing, and darts all in without too much hassle (stitching a bit dodgy but that will come heh) And we've worked out how much needs to come of the bottom of the pattern to get the right length. So far so good.  :frock:

However..(and in hindsight we should probably have chosen a more pencil type pattern), although it fits lovely around the waist and hips, my daughter's not keen in how much 'bell' there is at the hem – from the back in particular there's almost too much fabric under her bottom that sort of sticks out.

So is the best thing to do..

1. Take some more in from both sides below the hip (tapering?) and then transferring that to the pattern?
2. Google told me I should maybe do that slash and close thing?  This seems complicated...not sure how far up the pattern to do the slashes, how much to close, and if I do it on both front and back? Argh.

Any help would be gratefully received. I can post a pic too if that helps? In a nutshell...too A LINE!

Acorn

Re: Skirt fit
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2020, 21:21:18 PM »
I would go for 1, no question.   :thumbsup: 
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Efemera

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2020, 21:32:24 PM »
Yes.. number 1

Ploshkin

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2020, 22:29:00 PM »
Try it on inside out and put some pins in to get the shape you want.  It sounds as if you may need to take a bit out of the back seam as well as the sides.  If you only take the excess out of the sides the back may still be wrong or it could pull a bit oddly. 
Life's too short for ironing.

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2020, 22:34:41 PM »
Noooo don’t try it on inside out because your body isn’t necessarily symmetrical and then you’ve got it fitted to the wrong side!   I would pin it with the seam allowances on the outside if you’re going to pin and try it on. 

snoozi soozi

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2020, 08:31:40 AM »
@windthebobbin as you're an eager novice I wanted to point out the pitfall of trying garments on inside out, particularly trousers, but @Ohsewsimple got there before me  :thumbsup:
Let it sew, let it sew, let it sew

Missie

« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2020, 09:24:01 AM »
Try it on inside out and put some pins in to get the shape you want.  It sounds as if you may need to take a bit out of the back seam as well as the sides.  If you only take the excess out of the sides the back may still be wrong or it could pull a bit oddly.

Don't try it on inside out; fitting is always done with the garment the right side out in case of asymmetry in the body.

I would taper in at the side and the centre back seams.  It is likely the back will still stick out more if you just do the side seams.

BrendaP

« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2020, 09:34:57 AM »
Whether or not to taper the centre back seam depends on how that seam is cut.  It it flares out a little yes taper it, but if it is cut straight with the grain of the fabric then don't.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Ploshkin

« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2020, 11:25:05 AM »
I stand corrected.  I wouldn't do any close fitting by trying inside out but just making an alteration to the basic shape  it would be ok. 
Life's too short for ironing.

Helen M

« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2020, 12:08:01 PM »
I stand corrected.  I wouldn't do any close fitting by trying inside out but just making an alteration to the basic shape  it would be ok.

By trying it on inside out you would be able to see if the back seam (if there is one) needed to be altered as perhaps your daughter has a flat backside or even a sway back.
Stash Busting 2024 - Goal: 25 metres
So far:  3.0 metres  ------ Donated : 0 metres
Items decluttered: 72

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2020, 12:36:10 PM »
@snoozi soozi must have been on the ball yesterday.  ;)
@Ploshkin I’m sure you know that  :).  And yep would probably work for basic alterations.  Personally I don’t like pinning anyway. Don’t like all the seam allowances flapping round.  I need to tack it so I can see properly what is happening.

So Chic

« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2020, 12:42:19 PM »
I alter the grain line so that it falls down the centre of each panel and this gives a better fit and the skirt will hang better.  Sandra Betzina has a good tutorial on this.

So Chic
Bernina Artista 630, Bernina 800DL, Janome Cover Pro 1000CP and an elderly Singer Touch & Sew 720G as a back up