The Sewing Place

Bias tape question

sewingj

Bias tape question
« on: June 01, 2020, 07:18:05 AM »
Possibly a daft question.  I`ve got a pattern which requires 1/4inch double bias tape. Am I right in thinking that if I make 1/2inch tape with my bias tape maker and then fold that in half I will end up with 1/4inch double tape? 
The pattern refers to the "wider folded edge of the tape" - I`m not sure how to end up with a "wider folded edge"!
« Last Edit: June 01, 2020, 07:36:17 AM by sewingj »

snoozi soozi

Re: Bias tape question
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2020, 07:31:26 AM »
Do you mean 1/2 inch tape?   
Let it sew, let it sew, let it sew

sewingj

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2020, 07:37:15 AM »
@snoozi soozi Yes - now modified!  (serves me right for posting when I`m not fully awake!)

Lachica

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2020, 07:54:44 AM »
Bought tape has one fold wider than the other so that when sewn on in one pass using a binder, both sides are stitched down. The wider fold would go on the underside when binding.
Mary
2020 stash: not gonna count, not gonna feel guilty.

Vezelay

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2020, 08:00:15 AM »
It's the kind of question that I struggled with for a good while.

Bought double fold bias tape usually come with two folded edges which are each less than half the width of the main body - like this:
Inastri 25/5/ 5 mm Acetate Satin Bias Binding, Red 2020 https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00J5BPQDQ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tau_bjk1EbSW08E9P

Sometimes though the folded edges come almost to the centre though and this  is what you will get if you use your tape maker.

In theory one edge is shorter than the other - this is to take account of the width of the fabric edge it is folded over and as Lachica says, to ensure the tape is caught on the wrong side when stitching - but sometimes to me they look so similar I can't tell the difference. You're correct in that your tape maker will make the two fold over edges the same width - this is single fold bias tape. But if the fabric edge you are binding is narrow, not bulky I don't think that will matter.

And yes, your 1/2" tape maker will make 1/4" double fold tape when folded in two.

I hope this helps. It confused me for a long time but I've used double fold tape now on a number of projects so I think I have it straight!
« Last Edit: June 01, 2020, 08:03:37 AM by Vezelay »

snoozi soozi

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2020, 09:43:41 AM »
The way I remember how to know which binding maker to use, each one has a size on it, the tape you should use is double this size. I made some y/day using my 25mm gadget so I cut the binding to 50mm  :thumbsup:
Let it sew, let it sew, let it sew

Kwaaked

« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2020, 09:59:20 AM »
My bias tape makers don't go all the way to the center...and one side is 1/64" larger then the other.  Weird how different brands do weird stuff.

BrendaP

« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2020, 10:08:02 AM »

Bought double fold bias tape usually come with two folded edges which are each less than half the width of the main body - like this:
Inastri 25/5/ 5 mm Acetate Satin Bias Binding, Red 2020 https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00J5BPQDQ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tau_bjk1EbSW08E9P

The description of that stuff says "Ideal for edging a wide variety of fabrics & bunting"   :ninja: :fish:
You do NOT want bias tape for bunting,  It will stretch and because it is cut on the bias any individual (warp or weft) thread in it will only be a few cm long considerably reducing the tensile strength of the strip.  You need plain woven tape for bunting.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Vezelay

« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2020, 18:08:20 PM »
@BrendaP, I just grabbed that picture as the first example on Amazon that showed clearly the shape of the tape I was referring to - without reading the description. I've no thoughts of ever making bunting. :) Sorry if I misled.

@Kwaaked 1/64" is very small, less than half a mm so it's quite conceivable I didn't notice the difference. I'll pay more attention next time!

« Last Edit: June 01, 2020, 18:14:32 PM by Vezelay »

sewingj

« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2020, 18:36:59 PM »
Incidentally, I've just come across Frumble Fabrics who have a very tempting range of bias binding! (I expect everyone else already knows about them)

Kwaaked

« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2020, 06:23:09 AM »
Nah, I'm weird.  My DH is a machinist, so I have rulers for that lying about as well.