The Sewing Place

Back again

supergran

Re: Back again
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2020, 22:06:31 PM »
@Diane I also bought the pineapple trim tool, and it's fabulous for keeping the block accurate. The only thing I would say is that it can be rather wasteful of fabric, all that trimming away on each round, but apart from that it works very well. I got mine from Amazon and was marketed by a company called Yicbor but it looks to me to be exactly the same as the creative grids one except it isn't as thick as theirs are. It's perfectly adequate though. Good luck and I hope you enjoy using it as much as I have done.  :thumbsup:

Iminei

« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2020, 07:21:57 AM »
Interesting to hear about a template to cut the pieces ... Anita in her Traditional Blocks Made Simple ... brilliant class on Craftsy ... uses a paper template which you stick on a few layers of fabric and cut apart ... I must say it worked for me.

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

If you fancy a nose into AGS's method, click on the link .. Bring the first pic up to full size and click on the i icon to bring up the commentary/explanation/destruction to the right of the pic...

Pineapple Quilt
« Last Edit: June 15, 2020, 07:26:00 AM by Iminei »
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

supergran

« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2020, 10:32:14 AM »
@Iminei . The pineapple tool isn't a template as I think you are imagining it and you don't end up with lots of titchy little pieces to sew together. Basically you cut a square then sew on strips, not unlike a log cabin, then you use the ruler to cut to shape. That's where the waste fabric comes in as you're cutting off the corners on each round. Missouri Star and Shabby Fabrics both have tutorials on it if you're interested.

Iminei

« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2020, 13:55:59 PM »
Ooooh Yeah ... lottttts of waste ... but relatively easy I think ...

Tho' Jenny Doan is centering very bizarrely ... but I suppose its for video, rather than how you would do it in real life.

Thanks for that Supergran xxx

Actually I would be interested in one of these ... now theres an admission!!!
I love the P quilt but it was a lot of work ... with one of these ...?????
« Last Edit: June 15, 2020, 13:58:54 PM by Iminei »

supergran

« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2020, 14:05:28 PM »
Yep. Easy peasy.  0_0

Iminei

« Reply #20 on: June 15, 2020, 14:25:01 PM »
But jenny quickly worked out to sew only as far along the strip as she needed leaving the waste to dog ears (admittedly big dog ears!!!)

supergran

« Reply #21 on: June 15, 2020, 15:11:24 PM »
This is the first one I did. There are 4 10 in squares, and I'm doing another at the moment, for the garden chairs outside, hence the size of them. I fancy doing one in ombre fabrics, and maybe get the smaller ruler to do it with.
You could probably do the first block and write down the measurement you think you need for each round, or put the ruler on the bit you've done and calculate how long the strip needs to be for the next one? Might have a go at that as I played safe and only added the strips a few centimetres from the edge.  :thinking:

Diane

« Reply #22 on: June 15, 2020, 16:36:43 PM »
This is the first one I did. There are 4 10 in squares, and I'm doing another at the moment, for the garden chairs outside, hence the size of them. I fancy doing one in ombre fabrics, and maybe get the smaller ruler to do it with.
You could probably do the first block and write down the measurement you think you need for each round, or put the ruler on the bit you've done and calculate how long the strip needs to be for the next one? Might have a go at that as I played safe and only added the strips a few centimetres from the edge.  :thinking:

I love the cushion and the choice of fabric, very striking, i also like the way you’ve only done free motion just on the white areas, it really enhances it.

I can’t wait until i get to the point of having all my blocks done, not sure how many i need but I’ll measure the bed later, i know i need quite a few. The creative grids template is great and I’m glad i purchased it along with the mini one although they were quite pricey but you only have to buy it once  and they are very good quality so should last. I’ve done three blocks so far and I’m really enjoying it and it’s taking my mind off things.
I’m a fabricholic on the road to recovery. Just kidding. I’m on the road to the fabric store.

Janome Memory Craft Horizon 9450QCP, Janome 4300QDC, Overlocker Brother 1034d, Husqvarna Viking Designer Topaz 40

Diane

« Reply #23 on: June 30, 2020, 12:18:52 PM »
Well I’ve finally managed to start my blocks  :sew: I’ve done six so far and I’m really enjoying it. I’ve done 8 rounds and squared them up although they probably need a bit of pressing which i can do later on. It certainly keeps my mind busy during this furlough period.

« Last Edit: June 30, 2020, 12:20:37 PM by Diane »
I’m a fabricholic on the road to recovery. Just kidding. I’m on the road to the fabric store.

Janome Memory Craft Horizon 9450QCP, Janome 4300QDC, Overlocker Brother 1034d, Husqvarna Viking Designer Topaz 40

Lilian

« Reply #24 on: June 30, 2020, 15:04:17 PM »
Wow @Diane they are lovely!  :)
Willing but not always able :)

supergran

« Reply #25 on: June 30, 2020, 15:35:11 PM »
That looks lovely @Diane .  So far I've stuck to just 1 colour and background but I think I'm going multi coloured after seeing yours.  :thumbsup:

Diane

« Reply #26 on: June 30, 2020, 15:42:52 PM »
Thanks Ladies  :thumbsup: i love the random pastel colours and I didn’t want it to be too uniform. I’m thinking of using cream sashing when i piece it together.

Elnnina

« Reply #27 on: June 30, 2020, 15:46:26 PM »
Diane I am not a darksider, but I do like your lovely pastel blocks, there is just something about them, soft and pleasing and of course the colours and fabrics are gorgeous.

Diane

« Reply #28 on: June 30, 2020, 16:01:21 PM »
Diane I am not a darksider, but I do like your lovely pastel blocks, there is just something about them, soft and pleasing and of course the colours and fabrics are gorgeous.

Thankyou, i love the colours as well, they feel really relaxing and soft.

Diane

« Reply #29 on: August 01, 2020, 07:22:15 AM »
Morning all

Well i've managed to get twelve pineapple blocks done and i'm loving how they look, now i'm back at work (furlough period over), there seems little time to do them so i've been  :thinking: that i now need to turn my supposed king size quilt into something more manageable (you were right Iminei) so there was me dreaming big, huge quilt and getting over excited at the thought of how it would look on my bed, has now turned into a lap quilt for those chilly evenings later on in the year.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2020, 08:07:10 AM by Diane »