The Sewing Place

Back again

Diane

Back again
« on: June 02, 2020, 09:03:41 AM »
Well I’ve been lurking for an awful long time on here, reading all the posts but not having any urge to sew anything  :'(. Since my sister passed away which is a year ago this week all my equipment has laid dormant, well I now finally have the urge to make something so I thought why not move across to the darkside  :ninja:.
I know I would like to make a quilt, I’ve never made one before, although I have done a few blocks in the past and I’m not even sure what pattern I will be doing. I do quite like this one, aunt grace it’s called
  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

Through the week I’ve been ordering fabric in the form of jelly rolls & mini charms etc so once all this arrives I can have a play and see what I can come up with.....Watch this space
« Last Edit: June 02, 2020, 09:06:11 AM by Diane »
I’m a fabricholic on the road to recovery. Just kidding. I’m on the road to the fabric store.

Janome Memory Craft Horizon 9450QCP, Janome 4300QDC, Overlocker Brother 1034d, Husqvarna Viking Designer Topaz 40

Efemera

Re: Back again
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2020, 09:27:00 AM »
That looks lovely..look forward to seeing your progress.

Lowena

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2020, 09:54:36 AM »
Welcome and good luck with your new project
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Acorn

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2020, 10:09:40 AM »
That is really nice - I look forward to seeing your progress.  Isn't it lovely when the urge strikes, and you start planning and gathering fabric!   0_0
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Pearl

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2020, 10:17:53 AM »
Lovely quilt, @Diane.  The pattern is very jelly roll/charm pack friendly.  The first instruction, “cut 412 squares,”  :faints:

Puzzler

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2020, 10:23:13 AM »
I am sorry to hear about your sister. Quiltmaking is good therapy. Enjoy the process. Darksiders are great enablers.

Lisalou1965

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2020, 10:37:01 AM »
That is a lovely pattern. Will look forward to seeing your progress
If you see me with a seam ripper, now is not a good time

Diane

« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2020, 16:06:25 PM »
Thankyou ladies,

I’m awaiting all of my fabric and I cannot wait to get started. I just wish I’d thought of this a few weeks ago as I’ve been on furlough for the last ten weeks and I’ve hardly seen a soul, it would have kept me busy.
I’m a fabricholic on the road to recovery. Just kidding. I’m on the road to the fabric store.

Janome Memory Craft Horizon 9450QCP, Janome 4300QDC, Overlocker Brother 1034d, Husqvarna Viking Designer Topaz 40

Diane

« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2020, 18:41:27 PM »
Well I’ve finally got all my fabric ready to start my kingsize quilt, I’m not sure how much fabric i will need but i certainly have enough to get going. I’ve been searching for a pattern and finally settled on the pineapple block, a bit like this green one but I’ll be doing mine in pastel fabrics and white. Whilst I’ve been waiting i made myself a pressing block to keep beside my machine so that i can iron as i go. Made it out a bread board covered in tinfoil and ironing board wadding and finished off with a cotton cover.

Sara-S

« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2020, 19:24:09 PM »
@Diane I am so sorry for you our loss. I hope the quilt proves to be therapeutic and enjoyable for you.
You can't scare me. I taught high school for 32 years.

Diane

« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2020, 19:47:03 PM »
@Diane I am so sorry for you our loss. I hope the quilt proves to be therapeutic and enjoyable for you.
Thankyou Sara, it was a year ago last Thursday but it feels like yesterday, i need to get my head in another space, hence the quilt project.

Iminei

« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2020, 07:46:11 AM »
The first instruction, “cut 412 squares,” 

Please dont !!!!!
You will be left with hundreds of cut pieces that will immediately start fraying and feel completely overwhelmed.

A kingsized quilt is quite a project even for a seasoned quilter and I soooooo dont want you to become disheartened and fall at the first hurdle.

Why not try some of the BOMs we have done in the past, or even join in with this years BOM ... using gash fabrics to see how you get on with the techniques find out which blocks you like and practice your accuracy in cutting and sewing.

I know you already sew ...which is a big bonus .... but please dont start on your beautiful new fabrics until you've got a feel for P&Q.

I had a wonderful pineapple block pattern (from Anita Grossman Soloman) when I first started P&Q in 2013but quite rightly decided it was too advanced for me at that time ...

I came back to it in 2018 and was able to make it then ... Pineapple Quilt

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

Lots of help and advice here ... just ask!

The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

wrenkins

« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2020, 09:32:43 AM »
Welcome back @Diane.

What Imi said! I have a box containing several million coupla hundred 2.5" squares.... :( Some day I will make bigger pieces with them but there are sooooo many that the task seems too daunting. I was thinking about them yesterday in fact... :[

Maybe start with a few blocks cut and pieced. That way you have achieved something and it'll pull you along. Of course we'll be pushing too...  :thumbsup:
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

Bjay

« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2020, 10:06:17 AM »
I wish you well witha quilt.
as a newish Darksider wo had quilted before i would recommend the bOM's I have learnt so much - new techniques and presentation.
I mae a king size quilt on a domestic machine. I have sworn never to do an other one - well ot yet anyway.
Why not start witha quenn siz - far easier to handle

I look forward to seeing your progress and that quilt pattern is lovely
Trying to find my way on the Dark side

Diane

« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2020, 14:10:35 PM »
Thanks for all the advice ladies  :thumbsup:

I now have a lot of purchased precut Moda fabric, be it squares, jelly rolls and honey buns, i plan to do one block out of some scraps that i have and then I’ll move on from there. I also bought the creative grids pineapple templates, large and small sizes so i have everything that i need. Through the week I’ve been watching lots of tutorials on YouTube and just love the design, just need to decide what size block to do but I’ll see how big i want to go as i put it together.
I will be checking in with you lovely ladies so you can see how I’m doing with some progress pictures of course.