The Sewing Place

Practice Dress

sewingj

Re: Practice Dress
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2020, 13:34:22 PM »
I was tempted to say you should go on Sewing Bee - but actually you are far more skilled than any of them and I can`t see you wanting to waste your time converting a shopping bag into a frock

BrendaP

« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2020, 13:37:37 PM »
@charlotte that is seriously lovely,  I'm sure your wedding  :frock: will be stunning. 
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

UttaRetch

« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2020, 13:50:58 PM »
I was tempted to say you should go on Sewing Bee
The sewing bee is all about speed.  It is not the arena for turning out quality work.

Missie

« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2020, 14:02:19 PM »
The sewing bee is all about speed.  It is not the arena for turning out quality work.

I've seen only 1 episode and maybe a glimpse of another and that was my impression.  The children and friends used to tell me to apply but I told them there is no way I could turn out what they want in the time they give.  My work has to look as good inside as it does outside and there is now way that would happen on The Sewing Bee.  I'd hate to see the insides of the stuff they make.

Flobear

« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2020, 14:12:06 PM »
Beautiful work, Charlotte.
I presume you have someone who is able to help you with the fitting. That's what I lack!
Proud new owner of Elvistoo !!

charlotte

« Reply #20 on: June 03, 2020, 14:15:31 PM »
Sewing Bee is my idea of a nightmare! I know someone who made it through to the auditions and they told you to do things like only turning hems up once, leaving a raw edge.  :scream:

For someone who last week spent the best part of a day making and sewing on button loops, the idea of sewing a collared rugby shirt in three hours makes me want to start hyperventilating!!

charlotte

« Reply #21 on: June 03, 2020, 14:24:58 PM »
I presume you have someone who is able to help you with the fitting. That's what I lack!

Not really at the moment! My partner tries his best, but he often declares things like doing up a zip "too fiddly" so asking him to start pinning makes his eyes widen in terror!! (I think he might have a pin phobia, as he gets very cross when he finds random pins around the house... apparently they "could stab him" 0_0) Plus, we decided he wouldn't see the wedding dress toile, so I just had my Mum on FaceTime to help with that!! He has helped a bit with this one, as he doesn't know it's my "practice dress"! I do have a fairly accurate dress form, which helps a lot, but it is definitely not perfect.

Missie

« Reply #22 on: June 03, 2020, 15:24:02 PM »
Not really at the moment! My partner tries his best, but he often declares things like doing up a zip "too fiddly" so asking him to start pinning makes his eyes widen in terror!! (I think he might have a pin phobia, as he gets very cross when he finds random pins around the house... apparently they "could stab him" 0_0) Plus, we decided he wouldn't see the wedding dress toile, so I just had my Mum on FaceTime to help with that!! He has helped a bit with this one, as he doesn't know it's my "practice dress"! I do have a fairly accurate dress form, which helps a lot, but it is definitely not perfect.

Well, you've done a mighty job!

toileandtrouble

« Reply #23 on: June 03, 2020, 16:35:48 PM »
@charlotte  You might try the small magic clips instead of pins. (Like clothes pegs for sewing) He probably won't be afraid of them although they might nip!  I don't know how firmly they would hold when you take the fitted dress off, but he could always put a fabric marker line at the base of each clip- both sides. Then all you have to do it join up the lines.
Thinks -must try and see how firmly they hold under those circumstances.
Yarn down:  1000g
Fabric down:  29m

Iminei

« Reply #24 on: June 05, 2020, 14:40:41 PM »
Glorious!

I used to have covered buttons made for me when I had the waistcoat business!
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Catllar

« Reply #25 on: June 06, 2020, 13:23:05 PM »
Beautiful work. I agree that the waist stay shouldn't be elasticated considering its purpose. I put them in flamenco dresses where there is not a lot of back coverage and a lot of skirt weight. Elasticated just doesn't cut it, I've tried, still had a lot of bounce and a tendency to drop. Especially those having a long frilled train that weigh a dead  donkey!
« Last Edit: June 06, 2020, 13:25:33 PM by Catllar »
If life gives you lemons, add to gin and tonic !

charlotte

« Reply #26 on: June 30, 2020, 15:05:56 PM »
Finished!

It has a hand-picked centred zip, horsehair braid in the hem and is pictured over a poly-organza tiered petticoat (from Amazon, although I will be making the one to go under my actual wedding dress from tulle and dress net).

I got some excellent pattern matching in places, some slightly jarring repeats in others but I am very happy with the overall look.

Elnnina

« Reply #27 on: June 30, 2020, 15:27:56 PM »
Well done Charlotte that looks a pretty good fit and so unusual.  So you are well on your way to start sewing your real dress now - just enjoy every minute of this time.

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #28 on: June 30, 2020, 18:19:22 PM »
Lovely job. 

SkoutSews

« Reply #29 on: June 30, 2020, 18:22:04 PM »
Lovely dress. I'm very impressed that you pattern matched the print.