The Sewing Place

The pros and cons of the Singer 15, 66, 99, 201 & 185 (or others you favour).

Marniesews

If you follow this board you can't fail to have noticed that the vintage bug that I've been shaking off for a while is getting a strong hold of me! I keep seeing these lovely things everywhere I look - ok, it's not surprising as I keep checking eBay & Gumtree but I keep coming across them in shops now too. One thing that's making it difficult is not knowing the relative merits of some of the models I'm seeing.

I've been reading Helen Howes advice on buying a machine and think her suggestion of starting with a round bobbin machine is a good one. She specifically mentioned the 15, 66, 99, 201 & 185 but I'm struggling to get a grip on how these machines compare, their strengths and weaknesses that would help me know if one or other models would be the more desirable or best fit for me.

This page associated with eBay gave me a few pointers and made me think the 66 might be a good one to look for as it sounds a good all-rounder and I've not a specific type of sewing in mind so the ability to cope with both thick and thin would be an advantage.

Anyone want to offer an opinion or point me elsewhere to improve my research?
Hopefully back more regularly! Ballroom sewing may be permanently paused but bag making is the current focus.

BrendaP

As a newcomer to the old machines I can say that I am delighted with how well my 201 sews, it's now my machine of choice for straight stitching - and buttonholes with the attachment.

I think you have narrowed your choice to the correct models - they all use readily available bobbins and standard needles.

Singer 15 - the oldest model
Singer 66 - set the standard
Singer 99 - ¾ size version of the 66
Singer 201 - top of range for a couple of decades
Singer 185 - youngest

The other model which is sought after is the featherweight, but from what I've seen the asking price always seems to be higher than for other models.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

b15erk

Brenda, you've done all the hard work!!  I have all of the ones you listed - and a few besides, and they are all excellent.

I love the way the 99k sounds, I think it's the daintiest (apart from the Featherweight), but all the old ones sound lovely to me.

The round bobbin ones, on a purely practical level are better as they hold more thread, but that isn't to say that they sew any better.  I have a couple of Jones machines which sew beautifully, but use the long bobbin in the oscillating shuttle.  These are harder to get your hands on.

For straightforward operation the 99k 185k and 201k are very easy, and parts readily available, but then so are the 15k and 66k.....  :)  I really do love 'em all! 

I say, if you love it, buy it, they are all wonderful in their own way.

I'm now very happily sewing regularly with my Singer 611g (my Avatar & similar to the Touch and Sew).

Whatever you choose, enjoy your machine.

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Cheesecake

I use my 'set' of 201's the most, very easy to set up and use, they're very sturdy, work well and I like the larger size.  All the machine  options work well though, I use my 15 type Jones less now though due to taking different bobbins but I like that its easy to adjust the bobbin tension for FMQ etc.  In terms of choosing between them if you can't narrow down preferences I would go by whats available, price, size, decal condition or type and what case/base you are wanting it to have.

With the 99, 66 and 15 if its for regular use I would go for a later one with the numbered tension dial and stitch length and with reverse stitch although the decals are prettier on the older ones.  Another thing is if not going for something set into a table is to get one with a base that either has or can take the little extension tables - I find these a necessity and the later ones sometimes come in bases that don't take them (another reason I don't use my Jones much).

arrow

I have a 99 and a 201, and they are both nice machines. I like the full size of my 201, and it's in a small table which means it very pratcial for maneuvering larger pieces of fabric. The 201 has revers stitch lever, and can lower the feed dogs. All 201s have the same features, even if the later ones look a bit different they work the same way. It's a very smooth running machine. Internally it has tree sets of meshing gears, and a rotary hook. It will stay smooth even if you floor the pedal, the only thing that gets louder is the needle punching through the fabric. The aluminium version 201K23 is noticeably lighter. I have both version, in a cabinet you will not think much of it, but in a portable bent wood case or a suit case type model you will notice the weight difference.

My 99 is the older version with the round stitch length knob. It's screws in and out and works perfectly. The bobbin case comes easily out on this machine, for cleaning purposes it's ideal. It is a bit trickier to get the bobbin out on the 201, but when you understand how it clicks into place it's gradually gets easier. The 99 is as mentioned a 3/4 sized machine, for most sewing I don't mind, but for working on jeans and jackets the full size models have an advantage. Model 99 became very popular and long lived (through the 185 too) because of it's size; so for many this is a pro.

The later 99s have a stitch lenght lever with reverse, and there's three vesions of the 99 as far as I know. They are all nice, but only the two later ones have the backtak lever. It's much the same with model 15; it had such a long life it went through all kinds of minor development. The later ones have the same stitch length lever as the 201, which is the only one with true revers; meaning it easily adjust for same stitch length both ways. The backtak on the 99 has a set stitch lenght. I have to admit, I like my 99 with out the revers, the only thing is I have to turn the fabric around to sew the other way. For daring and lots of back and forth I choose the 201.

The 201 originally came with a darning / embroidery foot. It's often missing in the accessory box, but this model works well with several of the modern low shank jumping feet. The 99 didn't come with any foot for this purpose, but a spring to hold the thread in place. You have to choose darning foot carefully for the 99, because the presser foot bar is a bit shorter and act up with some of the new ones. The 99, 66 and the older version 15 uses a feed dog cover, because the feed dogs cannot be lowered. The 15s with the stitch length lever can have the feed dogs lowered.

The all work equally well with the various attachments like buttonholer, and zigzaggers (well for me it's arguably how well zigzag attachments works, but the buttonholers are nice and I like my Swiss Zigzagger). Some of these features are more differences than pros and cons really, some are handy though like the stitch length lever.

Snowgoose

The Singer 201 gets my vote!  I love all Singers but the 201 is just the most beautiful, both to look at and for stitch quality  :). Have you read this about the 201 http://www.sewalot.com/singer_201k_sewalot.htm. It might just sway you towards the one for sale in your village shop  :)  :)  :)

Lilian

201k gets my vote too.  The best machine I have ever owned, it's my avatar!  :vintage:
Willing but not always able :)

arrow

I have to admit, my black cast iron 201 is  my favorite. For free motion quilting and embroidery it looks like model 15 is first choice. I have an eye on an early model 66 in a particular cabinet. I think model 66 was the only one that came in this cabinet, but looks very nice and I know I like how model 66 runs and stitches,  it's very nice and dependable and you can't fault it in any way. There's something wrong with me, because even though I have two 201s; an early 201K2 with the potted motor is on top of my wish list, with exactly the same face plate as in Lilian's avatar.

Lilian

Mine is the 201k 2 with a potted motor  :)  :vintage:

Willing but not always able :)

Marniesews

Thanks for the sewalot link, Snowgoose. I've read this page before I'm sure but not with the same interest as I just did now that I'm so close to getting one myself.  :D

I'm feeling very confident that this is the best possible machine for my introduction to real vintage machines as opposed to my other 'old' ones, granted it's a year younger than my husband but it pre-dates me by a whole 3 years - that's vintage all right!

It's lovely to hear you talk about your 201s with such fondness.

Hopefully back more regularly! Ballroom sewing may be permanently paused but bag making is the current focus.

arrow

Remember the original Singer hand crank is actually sought after and can cost a bit in itself. If you ever feel it's not needed after a convertion to electrical, let someone else have it or keep it near the machine. People hate to pay for these things since they are old and used (we are always looking for bargains  0_0 ) but the quality and durability of them makes them well worth taking care of. These machines are worth much more than the price tag.

Marniesews

Don't worry, Arrow, we've no intention of getting rid of the hand crank - they deserve to be kept together at the very least. Another reason for going for the hand crank instead of waiting to find an electric one is that we can have the best of both worlds. If we have ever have a problem with the electrics or want a machine that will run without power, it can always be converted back to human power with its original wheel.

The only bit we will dispose of straight away is the very rusted enamel cover for the compartment - a real mess, the enamel is bubbled off about a third of the lid with nasty rust underneath. Helen Howes tells me she has a replacement and we've seen them elsewhere too.