The Sewing Place

It needs to be strapless ...

Button Nose

It needs to be strapless ...
« on: June 04, 2020, 09:46:29 AM »
I have problems with my shoulders from time to time when wearing a bra is excruciating/impossible. I ordered a strapless one from Bravissimo but it had rubberised bits which made putting it on as painful as wearing a normal one so it's going back  :(

Can anyone think of something I could make that would give me a bit of dignity support? If it could fasten at the front that would be even better.

BrendaP

Re: It needs to be strapless ...
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2020, 10:01:10 AM »
If a bra fits well most of the support comes not from the shoulder straps but from the band, especially if there are underwires.  Shoulder straps act mainly to stop it from slipping downwards with gravity.  The bra you bought had the rubberised bits to try to stop that.  Look for another style/brand that doesn't have the rubbery grips but go down a band size so that it grips tighter around your ribs, and up a cup size to compensate.  The actual cup will be the same.

What size are you?  Bigger girls generally need more support.

Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Button Nose

Re: It needs to be strapless ...
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2020, 14:10:54 PM »
Thank you, Brenda. According to a fitting I had in Bravissimo a few years back 36 and somewhere in the Gs  :| but I lost weight so the cup size has reduced a bit. The strapless one I tried was an E but it was a tad on the small side so I think I'd need an F.

https://www.marksandspencer.com/al/padded-plunge-set-with-strapless-/p/DSdac348163bd7c94a53d8f6c7d08d4021.html looks like the answer to my dreams at the moment. I might need to have a word with Markies about their sizing on that one   -<

Ah, I've just found the guidance on the sizes - doh!