The Sewing Place

Junes BOM - Ohio Star

Iminei

Re: Junes (late) BOM
« Reply #120 on: June 14, 2020, 15:44:20 PM »
Quick Recap 6 months in (ish) ...

As ever, if I have missed your block ... please let me know!
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Kenora

« Reply #121 on: June 14, 2020, 18:08:17 PM »
Made a start on layering and quilting this afternoon. Remembering how to use the embroidery module and setting everything up took most of the time!
  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

It's definitely not quicker than doing the quilting myself on the sewing machine but it is a lot less painful. :)
Minding my P's & Q's in Portreath

supergran

« Reply #122 on: June 14, 2020, 19:03:47 PM »
Oh, that's lovely Kenora. It makes me want an embroidery module just to do things like that.  :rolleyes:

Flobear

« Reply #123 on: June 14, 2020, 19:58:44 PM »
I tidied away my accidental QSTs this morning then decided to use them up this afternoon!
The block only measures 11.25 ins as it stands. Not going to make any decisions about it until I have the whole picture with all the 2020 BOMs

Proud new owner of Elvistoo !!

Kenora

« Reply #124 on: June 14, 2020, 20:27:33 PM »
Oh, that's lovely Kenora. It makes me want an embroidery module just to do things like that.  :rolleyes:

It's the main reason I bought the embroidery module, back in January, @supergran . I'm still learning to use it - on this block I'd forgotten to switch off the auto-tying off at the beginning and end of the motif (don't know the proper terminology). I prefer to bury my threads in the quilt, so will do that on future blocks. :)
Minding my P's & Q's in Portreath

wrenkins

« Reply #125 on: June 14, 2020, 20:43:00 PM »
Today I have been wasting thread free motion quilting. Yes you heard me. There are squiggles. :faints:
I'm not very good at it but it's not much worse than my not free motion stuff. I watched a lady who has been doing it for 15 years and has been professional for 10 of those. She does big stitches and wee stitches and misses lines and all the things I was doing so I feel a bit better after my 15 minute stint.  0_0
Since I am totally devoid of artistry I shall copy her. She also says useful things like 'don't compare your worst to someone else's best'.
I won't!

@Kenora that is really pretty. Your quilt is going to be my favourite.  :loveit: Wanna swap?  0_0
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

Acorn

« Reply #126 on: June 14, 2020, 21:14:00 PM »
Good!   :D

Variegated thread in a colour close to the quilt colours is very good for hiding variation in stitch sizes.
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Iminei

« Reply #127 on: June 15, 2020, 07:40:04 AM »
Ahhh  ermmm Yes @Flobear ... the whole picture  :\  -<

Flobear

« Reply #128 on: June 15, 2020, 08:11:43 AM »
Ahhh  ermmm Yes @Flobear ... the whole picture  :\  -<

S'ok, I can wait  :)
Proud new owner of Elvistoo !!

wrenkins

« Reply #129 on: June 15, 2020, 19:39:09 PM »
It may not be perfect but it's mine. My first attempt at FMQ. I'm thrilled to bits. It's so much better than I thought it would be.  :faints: I just did black on the front so you can't really see it.  8)
The gold stars are terrible, the thread was terrible, I was terrible. Care not a jot!  0_0

Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

Pearl

« Reply #130 on: June 15, 2020, 20:59:11 PM »
Woo, hoo.  Go, Wrenkie!  I  <3 the gold stars.

Lisalou1965

« Reply #131 on: June 16, 2020, 08:57:49 AM »
Well, I love your quilting @wrenkins ... specially the gold stars!!! So much so that I might steal that idea for my star quilt....
If you see me with a seam ripper, now is not a good time

wrenkins

« Reply #132 on: June 16, 2020, 09:36:34 AM »
Top tip. Don't use metallic thread! Leave it for the big girls.  :S

Iminei

« Reply #133 on: June 16, 2020, 09:38:41 AM »
If you have problems with Metallic thread shredding/breaking ... Place it in a cup to the side/rear of your machine or use a thread holder if you have one  and run the thread from that ... the thread unkinks itself on the slightly longer journey to your needle ..

wrenkins

« Reply #134 on: June 16, 2020, 09:48:28 AM »
It was pulling through to the back Imi but no-one noticed due to my cunningly placed and subtle disguise. The more astute among you  8) may have noticed a tiny patch of black polka dot plonked on top till I can come up with a better plan. Do you see it now when you go back and look? Hmm?  :ninja: Sneaky eh?
I just couldn't wait to photograph it.  :[ :|