The Sewing Place

Junes BOM - Ohio Star

Acorn

Re: Junes (late) BOM
« Reply #135 on: June 16, 2020, 10:20:03 AM »
A touch of gold on the back would be a lovely design feature.   ;)

(And yes, I noticed - I kept shaking my laptop, but I couldn't get that pesky ribbon to move!)
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Elnnina

« Reply #136 on: June 16, 2020, 11:04:40 AM »
Well done Wrenkins, you have persevered and just look at what you have achieved.  Now let's apply that to the other little matter of dress fitting  -----Ouch!!!

wrenkins

« Reply #137 on: June 20, 2020, 12:46:05 PM »
Yeah.... Turns out it was beginners' luck.  :[

I can't think ahead fast enough so for every 1 min of FMQ there are 40 mins of unpicking because a fair amount of my wee stitches are stop stitches.  :faints:

Not even exaggerating!

Disappointed but undeterred I shall bog on till my fabric shreds...not long then.  0_0

To illustrate my difficulties here let me explain. I tried to copy a pattern using a pen and paper and couldn't. I really am that artless! #can'tdoaswirlwithapencil.
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

Iminei

« Reply #138 on: June 21, 2020, 07:59:32 AM »
Sorry you're finding it so difficult Wrenkies ... How was the point to point Quilting ???
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

supergran

« Reply #139 on: June 21, 2020, 08:51:29 AM »
I'm rubbish at drawing as well Wrenkins. How about tracing a swirl from Angela Walter's site and then pin it to the block and sew over the tracing?

Acorn

« Reply #140 on: June 21, 2020, 11:01:29 AM »
I have been trying to find continuous line quilting templates - where you trace the line onto your block and then just follow it - but not having much luck.  There are a lot that say they're continuous, but really aren't!
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

wrenkins

« Reply #141 on: June 21, 2020, 13:01:00 PM »
That's what I mean by thinking ahead @Acorn. That previous masterpiece was one continuous line! Maybe I should just do that and never mind the pattern on the front!  0_0
The point to point works fine @Iminei but I set out to make these blocks and try as many different techniques as possible. My unpicking is second to none!  :thumbsup:
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

Elnnina

« Reply #142 on: June 21, 2020, 16:16:23 PM »
Wrenkins what you need is a light box, and no I am not suggesting you go out and buy one.  Think how you can make a temporary one at home.  Take a   sheet of glass, now think of a plate glass cupboard door that is not being used, so the edges are nice and smooth, and build up a little wall for the glass to sit on and put a small table lamp inside and then you can trace away to your heart's content.

When my daughter was a college (studying Art subjects) one of her friends made a light box out of a sturdy wooden drawer a short piece of cable with a light fitting on the end was placed inside the drawer and a piece of thick glass on the top.  I actually have some plate glass cabinet doors (a pair) so I can use these provided I can find something to stand them on and leave room for a light to be placed underneath, or on my sewing cabinet, take the platform down to the bottom of the cabinet and put a lamp on that and then a piece of the glass over the opening at the top.

Failing any of the above why not stick what you are wanting to trace/copy onto a window and put your piece of paper over the top and again stick this to the window and trace away.

Kenora

« Reply #143 on: June 21, 2020, 16:42:55 PM »
Just a teeny weeny warning for the light box. :) My DH made me a great one from wood, perspex and a lightbulb. It worked really well and I spent ages bent over it, tracing templates for an applique quilt. Only problem was ... I had it placed on top of my cutting mat ..... which melted from the heat of the lightbulb. :S

Fantastic idea but be careful where you use it. :)
Minding my P's & Q's in Portreath

Bjay

« Reply #144 on: June 21, 2020, 18:17:43 PM »

Failing any of the above why not stick what you are wanting to trace/copy onto a window and put your piece of paper over the top and again stick this to the window and trace away.

That's my go to light box - masking tape, sharp pencil and daylight! 
Trying to find my way on the Dark side

LouiseS

« Reply #145 on: June 22, 2020, 17:52:38 PM »
That's my go to light box - masking tape, sharp pencil and daylight! 

Another option is to use an Ipad or tablet if you have one as a light box.

wrenkins

« Reply #146 on: June 22, 2020, 18:09:23 PM »
Two sets of my french windows face South!  0_0 They already get covered in snooter prints from dogs and big dopey teenagers so they can't get much worse.  0_0

coffeeandcake

« Reply #147 on: June 23, 2020, 15:36:09 PM »
Here are my June blocks.  I'm running short on some of my colours where I have to cut a decent size but I don't want to go out to buy more so I'm making do.
I do like stars :D

bec

« Reply #148 on: June 23, 2020, 22:22:12 PM »
@coffeeandcake Wow, these are beautiful. I really like the colours you're using, especially the teal.

Iminei

« Reply #149 on: June 24, 2020, 08:33:35 AM »
Are those Kaufmann Dotty batiks in your Ohio Star @coffeeandcake  ???

Lovely set ... run along into the BOMHOF now

:angel:
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again