The Sewing Place

Sewist.com

charlotte

Sewist.com
« on: June 05, 2020, 17:52:39 PM »
Not sure if this has been posted before, but it is new to me and I am very excited!

I found Sewist.com by clicking on the header on the Lekala website. At first glance it looks like a sort of Ravelry/Sewing Pattern Review wannabe site, with much less posted on there, however, on closer inspection it provides an online CAD tool, seemingly totally for free whilst in beta! All I can find regarding this is that they may have to restrict downloads in future for non-subscribing members. There is a really clear manual explaining all the coding, and as a non-coder I found it relatively straightforward after a bit of playing.

You can draft off their standard measurements or input your own, and change the size at the click of a button, even when you are mid-draft! I can't work out how to input anything other than height, bust, waist and hips, so I assume it just works everything else out from that (there is a list of over 100 different body measurement) but if you define the measurements in your code, you could use an infinite number of specific measurements.

It can automatically add seam allowances to your pattern pieces and it will even generate a cutting layout for you. There are pre-set standard ease measurements, although I haven't used these yet.

Having previously been prepared to pay for CAD pattern drafting software, before discovering I really did not have the budget for it, I am very happy to be up and drafting now. It is so much easier than doing it by hand.