The Sewing Place

Just an idle question...

Acorn

Just an idle question...
« on: June 05, 2020, 18:39:49 PM »
Does anyone actually enjoy layering a reasonably sized quilt?  I enjoy all the other parts of quilt-making (to varying degrees, of course) but I would gladly never have to layer one again.

(Why yes, I have just done one, and I have the backache to prove it.)
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Ploshkin

Re: Just an idle question...
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2020, 19:19:16 PM »
I might not say 'enjoy' but I'm quite happy to do it and I don't dislike it at all.
Hand stitched binding is the best bit and I do like doing that.
Life's too short for ironing.

Deafoldbat

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2020, 19:20:30 PM »
It's just one of the boring things you have to do - the h*******k bit of quilting. It's easier if you have a high table - worktop height - so you don't have to bend over. I got one of the Horn tables quite a few years ago now and it makes it a lot easier, and is a good height for cutting out too.

Lowena

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2020, 19:21:14 PM »
No, layering / sandwich is definitely my least favourite part of the process....in fact.....I hate it!!
Triumph of hope over experience :D

supergran

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2020, 19:50:38 PM »
I hate it as well. I used to manage crawling round the floor, but the old knees will no longer allow it. As I haven't got a big table it has to be QAYG nowadays.

Pearl

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2020, 19:57:21 PM »
It's okay when I can do it at sewing group by putting a couple of tables together.  At home, I have to do it on the floor and, like @supergran , my knees complain.  I'm thinking I might just make mug rugs from now on. 

supergran

« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2020, 20:57:15 PM »
@Lowena Did you ever get to try that noodle layering method, or did the virus stop you getting to it?

Lowena

« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2020, 22:07:57 PM »
@supergran no, not yet,the noodles are at @Stitches house :D
I have to do it on the bed at home because I can't be bothered to clear floorspace...and....if I did I'd never get down and up again :D
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Ploshkin

« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2020, 07:59:00 AM »
I would find the floor a bit trying.  I do it on a 5' x 3' table.  Not huge but ok.
Life's too short for ironing.

Iminei

« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2020, 07:59:25 AM »
Layering is the worst .... UNLESS you can beg, borrow or steal a decently sized table (Rectangular or Square .... not Oval, as mine is, the quilt keeps trying to escape!!!) Then its ok...

I think the thought of layering is even worse than actually doing it!
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

StitchinTime

« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2020, 08:20:38 AM »
Layering quilts has got a lot easier on my back since I got some 6” furniture risers for the kitchen table. I have a piece of MDF slight larger than the table that protects the table top from pins and allows me to peg the layers to the edge.

supergran

« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2020, 09:25:36 AM »
Nope @Iminei , the thought of it is fine. It's the doing it that's a pain.   :rolleyes:

@Lowena please let me know your thoughts on the noodles when you are finally able to get to it.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2020, 09:30:24 AM by supergran »

maliw

« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2020, 12:55:54 PM »
Noooooo, the last one I did was QAYG and was MUCH easier, the latest one has to be layered - not good.
At leisure on the leisure penninsula

datcat23

« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2020, 14:06:16 PM »
I detest quilting anything bigger than a cot quilt.  I usually only produce one or at the most two big quilts a year, and I get those professionally quilted. 

In the past, I quilted 3 single bed quilts, and this was how I layered them up.  Draped over a cardboard cutting board (still folded) laid over my ironing board.  I started in the middle, and worked to the edges, the weight of the quilt draped off the board, was enough to keep all 3 layers taut. 

Basting by Dani, on Flickr
The barefoot seamstress:  smelling vaguely of lavender and mothballs, and desperately craving chocolate.
2024:  Mending:  2  | Fabric used:  2.5m | Items made:  1  |  Quilts:      |  Fabric destashed:  25m

Kenora

« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2020, 14:12:34 PM »
I use the worktop in the kitchen - it's not quite an "island" because it's joined to the rest of the units at one end, but I can walk round three sides of it, and it's a very good height for layering too. :)
Minding my P's & Q's in Portreath