The Sewing Place

New jersey top

Lilian

New jersey top
« on: June 06, 2020, 14:27:10 PM »
After finishing my last lot of scrubs I wanted to make something for myself.  I found a piece of stretch silky jersey that I bought from a remnant bin a few years ago for 50p!  I decided to make a pattern from a well-loved and worn RTW top that I have hade for many years.

I had to unpick some of the binding as I caught some of the front into it.  I was worried I would put a hole in it but luckily I didn't  :)

This is the result, I am quite pleased with it. The picture doesn't do it justice, it looks great on  :thumbsup:

Willing but not always able :)

SkoutSews

Re: New jersey top
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2020, 14:39:54 PM »
Nice top, I like the fabric - an absolute bargain for 50p!

Ellabella

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2020, 14:46:41 PM »
Love the fabric.

Thats one of those simple tops that are so useful, enjoy!

Lilian

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2020, 14:54:11 PM »
Love the fabric.

Thats one of those simple tops that are so useful, enjoy!

It is comfier than the RTW one, I made the sleeves grown on instead of set-in but it worked out well  :)

Vezelay

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2020, 17:13:13 PM »
Lovely - well done. It looks like my "Tesco t-shirts" which were cloned from one I bought for that purpose but never wore. Be great to see it on you. We won't mind the grey roots  :).

Lilian

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2020, 17:15:55 PM »
Lovely - well done. It looks like my "Tesco t-shirts" which were cloned from one I bought for that purpose but never wore. Be great to see it on you. We won't mind the grey roots  :).

I will try to get a photo of me wearing it but I don't have a full length mirror!  :S

Kenora

« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2020, 17:17:55 PM »
That's a lovely top, and such a great price for the fabric. I'm buying jersey at £14.90 a metre so it's definitely not the cheap option as I need 1.5m! :\
Minding my P's & Q's in Portreath

Greybird

« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2020, 17:24:03 PM »
Looks lovely!

Lilian

« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2020, 17:35:41 PM »
@Kenora there was less than a metre. I loved the fabric but didn't know what I could get out of it.  I have some more jersey fabrics I bought from the sewing group I go to and that was all £1 a metre but also remnants, some quite large.  I have much more sewing to do  :vintage: :)

Kenora

« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2020, 17:40:33 PM »
@Lilian - I could get a top out of a metre or less if I didn't put sleeves in it, but unfortunately the fabric I've been using has been mostly one-way designs which require the sleeves to be cut out the right way up! My fault for choosing the fabrics which please me rather than those which are practical. :rolleyes: I can manage with 1.25m but not everywhere sells in quarter metres.  :o
Minding my P's & Q's in Portreath

Lilian

« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2020, 18:51:56 PM »
The best I could do by standing on a stool in the bathroom  :P  Now that shows up a smeared mirror :(

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2020, 18:58:42 PM »
Looks great. Good fit.
@Kenora I can get a top out of about 80cms with sleeves.  I need quite a width at the bottom edge :). But I don’t fold the fabric in half, I fold each selvedge to the middle. 

Lilian

« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2020, 19:08:02 PM »
Looks great. Good fit.
@Kenora I can get a top out of about 80cms with sleeves.  I need quite a width at the bottom edge :). But I don’t fold the fabric in half, I fold each selvedge to the middle.

That's how I cut this one.  The original had a triangular inset piece at the sides but I couldn't get that so just did a bit of flare. There wasn't enough for separate sleeves.

Lilian

« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2020, 19:08:52 PM »
Thanks for your kind comments, I haven't made much with stretch, this was really a first  :o  :)

Lizzy777

« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2020, 20:31:29 PM »
Thanks for your kind comments, I haven't made much with stretch, this was really a first  :o  :)

It really suits you so much and such a good fit too. I love the fabric.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2020, 21:13:25 PM by Lizzy777 »