The Sewing Place

How would you quilt this?

justpottering

How would you quilt this?
« on: January 02, 2021, 16:57:31 PM »
I’ve made this not sure how to quilt it yet, what I mean is i know how but I don’t know which quilting style/stitch to do recommendations appreciated
Ta

It’s a 40” square
JP
Dressmaker - but first......tea

fajita

Re: How would you quilt this?
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2021, 17:01:48 PM »
I think I’d just very boringly stitch 1/4” inside the black lines.

It’s a very nice quilt.  :toast:

Efemera

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2021, 18:12:44 PM »
Diagonally?

Deafoldbat

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2021, 19:20:51 PM »
Are you planning to hand quilt it or machine quilt/fmq?

It depends on how much time/effort you want to invest in it. I'd be inclined to get a chalk marker and draw a few curves in the rectangles and see what it looks like - you can rub it out if you don't like it. Play about with ideas and see what you like. and then decide.

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2021, 21:43:56 PM »
I'd be inclined to stitch down the middle of the black "leading" of the stained glass sections. The colored panels are small enough to not need quilting to hold the batting in place.
Hey Bill! Read the manual!  Hehehe.

mudcat

« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2021, 22:15:10 PM »
I would also only quilt the black part to preserve the stained glass look.

Iminei

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2021, 09:29:46 AM »
How big are the batik oblongs?
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

BrendaP

« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2021, 10:23:10 AM »
I agree with following the black sashing, but not down the middle, I'd stitch in the ditch on both sides of the black - which actually means outlining each coloured block.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2021, 14:57:02 PM by BrendaP »
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Lowena

« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2021, 10:26:29 AM »
I agree with Brenda
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Iminei

« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2021, 11:28:45 AM »
I was thinking of a Serpentine stitch through the middle of the black strips. Make it as wide as the strips ... will look nice methinks!

You could also, or instead of, stitch three rows of serpentine stitches through the some of the 'panes' of glass using the same coloured thread ... which would make it look like old floated glass ... slightly rippley   -<
« Last Edit: January 03, 2021, 11:32:15 AM by Iminei »
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Elnnina

« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2021, 11:54:21 AM »
Just love the colours and the design - well done, now go and enjoy the next stage of stitch in the ditch or whatever you choose to do.

justpottering

« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2021, 12:09:09 PM »
Thanks everyone for your suggestions I made one before and just went with the option of stitching the ‘leading’ (my daughter liked it and it suited her ‘reading corner’ so I sent it to her) I just wondered if there was a different way but also don’t really want to do anything to change the’glass’ panels

Hoping to do it this afternoon then bind the edges probably Wednesday as I’m working next two days, then I can start my next project which will require a trip to the fabric shop  :ninja:
JP
Dressmaker - but first......tea

twopence

« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2021, 12:11:37 PM »
I would draw a wavy chalk line from just below one corner to just above its opposite  Then draw lines following it a set distance apart to one side. Go back to the original line and draw another wavy line at right angles to the original. You can either repeat this line across the whole remainder or in only half and take a different line for the remaining quarter. The closer the lines the stiffer it will be. It is quick and easy to do as you stitch of the fabric onto the wadding as you turn at the end of each line and follow over your original line for the second lines.

William

« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2021, 16:03:12 PM »
Well Done! Love the colours contrasting with the black.

To answer, stitch in the ditch.

William David
...it was a Hobbit hole, and that meant comfort.