The Sewing Place

Christmas Craft 2020

Acorn

Re: Christmas Craft 2020
« Reply #30 on: September 11, 2020, 16:00:48 PM »
That is sweet!   0_0
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Bjay

« Reply #31 on: September 11, 2020, 18:30:49 PM »
I am going to attempt to make a rainbow quilt for a great niece. Mrbeej told her not to hold her brearth as she will probably have it in about 2 years.  rally am  ot that slow!

Last year I bought Christmassy fabric and did not use it so will make a couple of table runners  for daughter and for me. Not planning much and only gift will be rainbow quilt which G niece has chosen the pattern for
Trying to find my way on the Dark side

Sheilago

« Reply #32 on: September 13, 2020, 09:35:06 AM »
Here is Alf the elf. He is off hiding in a cupboard now, until the days get shorter and he knows it’s the right time to start work! 0_0

wrenkins

« Reply #33 on: September 13, 2020, 10:35:19 AM »
I'm in luuuurve.  :loveit: :loveit: :loveit:
Look at his little plump dungarees!  :laughing:
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

Sheilago

« Reply #34 on: September 13, 2020, 14:07:50 PM »
I'm in luuuurve.  :loveit: :loveit: :loveit:
Look at his little plump dungarees!  :laughing:

It is a free pattern in case anyone is interested.  Here is the link

http://www.heartandsew.co.uk/2015/11/christmas-elf-free-crochet-amigurumi.html

I added a little neck tie to hide the neck join and put ties on the shoes rather than fur.

Lisalou1965

« Reply #35 on: September 14, 2020, 07:34:50 AM »
Your little elf is wonderful!!! What a lucky little person to be getting him.

I have to say, I am not particularly enamoured with this "tradition", but I know it is hugely popular in the UK, and a lot of young 'uns have grown up with it over the last ten years or so.

Lx
If you see me with a seam ripper, now is not a good time

Acorn

« Reply #36 on: September 14, 2020, 09:44:48 AM »
I think it's a US thing - I've seen the odd one in shops in the UK, but everyone I know who has one is in the US.  I find it a bit creepy, but I think children are less inclined to see this than adults are. 

I could definitely be converted by Sheilago's little elf though - I think I'd present it as an elf to keep you company in the run up to Christmas rather than one who's spying on you to see if you behave!

Lowena

« Reply #37 on: September 14, 2020, 09:50:59 AM »
Noo! Is that what it's for :S? What a horrible idea :angry:I
I've never heard of it....not do I want to
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Pearl

« Reply #38 on: September 14, 2020, 16:31:02 PM »
They have become very popular in UK in recent years.  I'm not sure they spy on children; they are more likely to be up to mischief themselves. 

wrenkins

« Reply #39 on: September 14, 2020, 16:36:16 PM »
Nowhere does this say that they spy on children. They are helpful and industrious making toys in the run up to Christmas. They don't have time to faff about watching people.  :o They sometimes get in mischief but usually they're too busy.  :laughing:
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

Acorn

« Reply #40 on: September 14, 2020, 16:41:13 PM »
It was friends in the US that told me they were there to spy on Father Christmas's behalf.  Maybe our US members can tell us whether that is the general attitude?

Lowena

« Reply #41 on: September 14, 2020, 16:44:16 PM »
Phew!!! But it still sounds very American to me, like Xmas Eve boxes??!!??
I have several grandchildren and I've never heard them speak of these customs.Still, times move on I suppose
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Acorn

« Reply #42 on: September 14, 2020, 16:45:16 PM »
I did find this on the Elf on the Shelf website.

"The elf on the shelf tradition is a special Scout Elf sent from the North Pole to help Santa Claus manage his naughty and nice lists."

Sheilago

« Reply #43 on: September 14, 2020, 21:28:16 PM »
Elf on the shelf is scary, but this one is the friendly type who helps make toys. :D. I always crochet little first toys for my grandchildren  when they’re born.  As the next one is due in December,  I crocheted a reindeer, which has the advantage of being gender neutral! The elf is really so baby’s 2 year old sister also gets something. I’m not sure about the spy elf tradition either,

Having said that , when I was young we had a fairy on top of our tree and we were told  she was watching to see if we were all good in the run up to Christmas. I remember very conscientiously tidying my dolls‘ house in case she checked! Perhaps I need a fairy checking on me now- with very few visitors, diligent housework seems less important !

datcat23

« Reply #44 on: September 20, 2020, 06:04:26 AM »
Hi all, just checking in on everyone, to see how we are all going?  I have been lacking a bit of sewjo, and so not much of my xmas sewing is getting done.  Still, it is only September.  I have been avoiding starting the satin bedroom set, but I should be braver, I have done it before.

These are some embroideries I am working on.  Eventually these will be golf club covers for one of my nephews.  There is another set to be made.   These are for the fronts, and I am working on the quilted sides in coordinating fabrics.

Golf club covers by Dani, on Flickr

This in an early job.  DD, actually asked me to sew something for her, which is unheard of.  Her classroom is a large open plan place, and as it warms up, she is finding she doesn't have pockets to hold her mobile phone, markers etc.  I plan to make her a proper apron, maybe for xmas, but this is an upcycle from a bib style apron, to get her through the rest of the year.

Teacher apron by Dani, on Flickr

I repurposed one of the aprons I embroidered last year, cutting the bib off, removing the pocket, embroidering on it, and reattaching. I then used the bottom third of the apron to make the full width pocket.  The pocket is lined with a scrap of VanGogh Dr who fabric, for the required nerd factor.  Its a bit of a bodge job, but it will do.

Teacher apron by Dani, on Flickr
The barefoot seamstress:  smelling vaguely of lavender and mothballs, and desperately craving chocolate.
2024:  Mending:  2  | Fabric used:  2.5m | Items made:  1  |  Quilts:      |  Fabric destashed:  25m