The Sewing Place

Christmas Craft 2020

datcat23

Christmas Craft 2020
« on: June 07, 2020, 01:01:05 AM »
 :scream:  She said it  ..... she really said it!    :faints:

Well people its that time again.  Time for datty to scare the bejesus out of everyone, by saying the "C" word, way too early.

We have have had plague, sadness and civil unrest, and in Australia, we have also had a summer of fire.  The economy and our collective sanity, are taking a battering. 

I am a bit rudderless this year.  I am in a different job, and the usual excessive gift giving I do, isn't required.  I will still be sewing for my previous manager and office mates, but not the extended group that I used to.  And at this point, I have no idea what I might do. 

For my nephews, I think I am going to find a golf club cover pattern, and embroider them some covers.  I might also pull my focus back, and look at sewing more for my immediate family.  Maybe the traditional xmas pj's, something I have never done before.  And I am going to encourage hubby to resurrect his HP keys 3d printing project.  I have an organza embroidery file for a xmas tree angel - I might work on that.   

And gift bags ..... definitely gift bags. 

Don't be scared, a little bit of planning won't hurt ..... I promise. 
The barefoot seamstress:  smelling vaguely of lavender and mothballs, and desperately craving chocolate.
2024:  Mending:  2  | Fabric used:  2.5m | Items made:  1  |  Quilts:      |  Fabric destashed:  25m

Catllar

Re: Christmas Craft 2020
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2020, 05:56:20 AM »
Can you sew us an aeroplane to go home with please Datcat?
If life gives you lemons, add to gin and tonic !

Vezelay

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2020, 07:17:47 AM »
How very sensible to plan ahead Datcat. How much last minute angst and panic that would avoid. Every year I sew at least 7 or 8 gifts, and every year despite best intentions everything is down to the wire. I don't have an idea in my head yet but let's see if 2020 can set a new trend.

@Catllar you do realise that means you'll be there til Christmas?

BrendaP

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2020, 10:06:13 AM »
Methinks @datcat23 is right to start planning for Christmas.  I also think that thre will be a lot more last-minute panic than usual.  So many people have become lethargic with cabin fever during extended periods of shielding, quarantine, self isolation or whatever and all of a sudden it will be mid December.

No idea what I might sew, but gift bags seem likely  if I can find some suitable inexpensive fabric.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Kitten

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2020, 10:18:09 AM »
I don't feel so strange sewing a Christmas tree skirt now.
Thanks @datcat23  :thumbsup:

wrenkins

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2020, 12:31:37 PM »
Are you even earlier than usual @datcat23? I thought the excrement usually hit the ventilation system in July...I might be wrong.  0_0
A couple of our Stateside pals have been C*******s sewing a couple of days every month, or started to. Last year I cancelled C*******s 2020 but of course it's reinstated.  :[
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

Efemera

« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2020, 15:38:00 PM »
I usually start around the end of the month making for Christmas Fairs... don’t know if I’ll do ant pay this year,

coffeeandcake

« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2020, 18:56:31 PM »
Datcat's DH's 3D printer should do nicely for that.
I agree that it's good to start planning and think the PJ idea will be good.

Sheilago

« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2020, 19:06:25 PM »
Are we sure Christmas is happening this year?  :S

datcat23

« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2020, 00:01:51 AM »

I wish I could,  *hugs* big time for you.

Are you even earlier than usual @datcat23? I thought the excrement usually hit the ventilation system in July...I might be wrong.  0_0
A couple of our Stateside pals have been C*******s sewing a couple of days every month, or started to. Last year I cancelled C*******s 2020 but of course it's reinstated.  :[

Yes I am a month earlier this year.  What can I say?  I am a bit bored.   :devil:

I don't feel so strange sewing a Christmas tree skirt now.
Thanks @datcat23  :thumbsup:

Your welcome

Are we sure Christmas is happening this year?  :S

There is that .... this virus is like slow motion torture.  Here in Aus, we have gone hard early, and its paying off, but there's no knowing what its going to be like in 6 months. 

Maybe the plan should be ...... Plan Christmas Crafts that can be Posted. 
The barefoot seamstress:  smelling vaguely of lavender and mothballs, and desperately craving chocolate.
2024:  Mending:  2  | Fabric used:  2.5m | Items made:  1  |  Quilts:      |  Fabric destashed:  25m

MitchOfTheNorth

« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2020, 04:36:25 AM »
Thank you, datcat - I was starting to think about Christmas stuff but thought I was too early.  It's usually Christmas in July but I have a few ceramic things that need spray sealing.  The weather needs to be good to do that outside.

I think after all that has happened we need something to look forward to - Christmas or Hanukkah or the winter holiday that you personally celebrate fits that description.  I'm looking forward to something that I recognise as normal.
Stashbusting 2022
Goal:  50 meters
Total:  32.5 meters

Lisalou1965

« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2020, 08:13:41 AM »
Totally agree with @MitchOfTheNorth. Everything has been very weird and nobody has any idea if our version of normal will ever come back. We need to learn to adjust, but have something to look forward to. I hadn't thought about it, but I cannot imagine that my eldest will take any notice of any rules if it means she cannot come home for Christmas. She has been shielding with her boyfriend since 13th March, but nothing and nobody will be capable of keeping her away at Christmas. I hope it doesn't come to that. I do, on the other hand, think this is an opportunity for a different Christmas, maybe less stuff and more thought put into it. I think I might call a family meeting on the subject. Maybe enphasize home-made of gifts which come from the heart (I can hear my son composing already, the musician in the family)

:thinking:
If you see me with a seam ripper, now is not a good time

wrenkins

« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2020, 08:42:19 AM »
I have always thought that @Lisalou1965. I was admiring both my favourite gifts yesterday in fact. One is a rusty distressed bird feeding station made from scraps of metal that were lying around the place and a quilt ruler rack lovingly 'crafted' from a chunk of wood found in him indoors' garage during a clear out.  0_0
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

datcat23

« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2020, 12:47:26 PM »
As part of my planning, I thought that I might focus on pj's this year.  And so for my daughter and my niece will be a nightgown and matching robe, in this ancient Kwiksew pattern.

KS nightgown by Dani, on Flickr

My niece will love them in a slippery, shiny satin, but I think I might make my daughter's in a soft lawn. 

jintie

« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2020, 13:40:14 PM »
I picked up some pinecones on my daily penance (walk). When they open up, I will tip them with silver, green and red acrylic paints then pile them in a bowl nearer the time.
Rottweiler with scissors