The Sewing Place

Sewing machine for sale at exorbitant price anyone!

KayK

Sewing machine for sale at exorbitant price anyone!
« on: June 09, 2020, 16:41:43 PM »
I have never seen so many requests for 'sewing machine for beginner' adverts on Facebook!  It's good that folks are thinking of rekindling old skills or taking up new ones, but I fear a lot of them are in for a big disappointment! 

Adverts seem to now be of 2 types - those after a basic machine and being 'sold' a real cheapie toy machine (new) costing about £70, or those who have found their Nan's old Singer and are trying to sell it for around £300!  I have seen many an old hand crank Singer up in excess of £150 (the type with the shuttle and no bobbins!)

My favourite are those who have found an old electric zig zag, with what appears to be dire electric bits, no attachments or feet, with smashed and broken cases with and want to know what it's worth.  Now there is nothing wrong at all with a vintage machine, provided it is safe and working, but there is a nasty rash of all sorts going on out there!   There are souls who ask 'does it work' and the reply is often 'dont know'.......eek!
I have learnt by my mistakes: Sewing machines now are Bernina 720, Bernina 1008, Bernina 801 from 1981, Brother overlocker, ancient but works well

Gernella

Re: Sewing machine for sale at exorbitant price anyone!
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2020, 18:13:32 PM »
I saw my old  Janome Memory Craft 7000 for sale on Ebay for around £450 this morning, which I sold for £25 to a student around 2009 (purchased around 1990) .  Nice machine but if the mother board died, that was it. £50 was too much even if in good condition.   

But, they only need one buyer who is a novice and doesn't do their homework.
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

Kwaaked

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2020, 22:46:03 PM »
Here in the US I can't give them away, and I have about 15 in good working order from 1970s Kenmores to plastic wonders of the 80s and every brand in between.

datcat23

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2020, 23:04:51 PM »
I am noticing a rash of vintage and antique machines on my local gumtree ...... treadles for over $500 (not prisitine either), and the metal body 70's models for over $300.  Far more being offered than I have seen before.  I figure that people are in financial uncertainty, and selling unused items, because they need the cash.  Its frustrating though, because it inflates the market, and makes other believe that a vintage machine (of which probably millions were produced) are some sort of gold mine. 
The barefoot seamstress:  smelling vaguely of lavender and mothballs, and desperately craving chocolate.
2024:  Mending:  2  | Fabric used:  2.5m | Items made:  1  |  Quilts:      |  Fabric destashed:  25m

Morgan

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2020, 13:53:29 PM »
Here in the US I can't give them away, and I have about 15 in good working order from 1970s Kenmores to plastic wonders of the 80s and every brand in between.
Thread Segway -
Kwaaked, if you are unable to sell your machines and (in the future) want to pass them on for purposeful use, might you be able to connect with a charity in your area that hooks into the same network as a UK based charity called Tools for Self-Reliance?  (It's an enabling project.  Decent quality, mechanical machines that can be repaired are practical.  De-stashed fabric and habby is also welcome)  https://www.tfsr.org/support/give-tools/

Kwaaked

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2020, 16:25:13 PM »
@Morgan We don't have things like that here that I have found, and I live too far out for charities that do take it and the cost of shipping is prohibitive for me to take on.  All the local ones only want hand cranks or treadles (which I have upset because in my shop I have 3 working ones I use for actual work...and won't give them my machines).

Even before the shutdown, charities where I am have always been hard to donate to, regardless of what it is.  It takes months to get a return call, they only accept certain things, you have to deliver (and I have a house full of furniture to donate but no way to get it to anyone)...even clothing.  When my mom died, after several months of trying to contact 9 different charities, I gave up.

I can get my own branded stuff out because I have hang tags and can present it as new, which is what they would rather have.

KayK

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2020, 16:00:52 PM »
Found this today - didnt know whether to laugh or cry!

'Brother sewing machine. Works well but sometimes can be temremejtal in the stitching. Great for a beginner.'

I'm sure a beginner would love a temperamental sewing machine!  Guaranteed to put you off for life!
I have learnt by my mistakes: Sewing machines now are Bernina 720, Bernina 1008, Bernina 801 from 1981, Brother overlocker, ancient but works well

Gernella

« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2020, 10:40:56 AM »
Reminds me of my 21st birthday sewing machine, I thought it was a New Home, but it was a Brother.  I went out and changed it for a flashy computer one on a whim and a clear piece of plastic because it was acting up. 18 years later I dragged it out because I'd seen a request on Freecycle.  I threaded it up, put my foot down and it went like a rocket and without the benefit of oil, which thinking about I don't think I ever did oil it.  Obviously it had not been threaded properly before.

I think my sister-in- law has a Jones, which has been updated (to electric). Being a lot more frugal than I am she still has it.  I suppose really for all the bells and whistles you just want a nice stitch sewing.

Which takes me back to my Pfaff Expression yesterday which didn't like what it was  sewing (too fine), I switched to mechanical, perfect.  I don't lose my rag very often but I was getting very hot and bothered.  For a beginner, temperamental would put you off sewing for good.
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

Sewbusy

« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2020, 12:21:59 PM »
For a beginner, temperamental would put you off sewing for good.

Well at least if the new sewers/sewists/whatever rely on GBSB another Facebook group knowledge and standards, they won't appreciate how poor it is because so many happy members have recommended it. Blame themselves for lack of knowledge? Heck no. Everything is always somebody else's problem,. Never theirs.

Sara-S

« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2020, 13:39:01 PM »

I had 2 I wanted to sell. I didn’t use eBay, because shipping would be too costly. If you are willing to do in-person sales (i.e. local pick up) check the letgo app. I used it and sold both machines in the space of a week. Obviously, there are safety considerations (which they go over) but they are surmountable. 

For both my transactions, I met the buyers in a supermarket parking lot, where there were plenty of other folks around.  Before meeting, we each gave a physical Description of our appearance and clothing.   
You can't scare me. I taught high school for 32 years.

KayK

« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2020, 22:30:00 PM »
Having a little smile to myself - On a Facebook selling page there has been advertised an absolute dreadful old machine - very rusty, I reckon it was a shed/garage find.  They were originally asking £300 for it, then £200, - dropping incrementally until today, it's now advertised at £20!.  It would probably make a good boat anchor, looks like it would be impossible to restore, and really not worth it!

datcat23

« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2020, 23:14:20 PM »
Having a little smile to myself - On a Facebook selling page there has been advertised an absolute dreadful old machine - very rusty, I reckon it was a shed/garage find.  They were originally asking £300 for it, then £200, - dropping incrementally until today, it's now advertised at £20!.  It would probably make a good boat anchor, looks like it would be impossible to restore, and really not worth it!

I am not sure if there is an equivalent in Britain, but here we have the phenomenon of the "dump shop".  This is where the waste transfer station, has a shed where you can leave usable items, rather than dumping them with the rubbish.  It employs people on job creation programs, and usually charges minimal for the items.  My brother is forever checking it out, and often sends me photos of shed finds that are beyond redemption.  He knows I collect them, but has no concept of the simply millions that exist out there in the world, therefore making one rusty, broken down one, worthless.  Obviously the shop managers don't either, because they will often be ridiculously priced.   
The barefoot seamstress:  smelling vaguely of lavender and mothballs, and desperately craving chocolate.
2024:  Mending:  2  | Fabric used:  2.5m | Items made:  1  |  Quilts:      |  Fabric destashed:  25m