The Sewing Place

Elephant Head (Simplicity Pattern 1218 / discontinued)

Tiggersew

Elephant Head (Simplicity Pattern 1218 / discontinued)
« on: June 11, 2020, 10:30:41 AM »
So I had finally managed to get my hands on a copy of this pattern, and made my first elephant a few weeks ago during lockdown.
I looked at the suggestions for the fabrics, and it does say fleece, but I wanted something a bit more than a soft toy look to the head as it is hung in the dining room.
My Friend Pat very kindly gave me some 100% pure wool, and a piece of Grey 100% Pure Silk from her stash.
I made a few alterations to the pattern as I went along.  The front of the trunk I felt would look better with the embroidered details to look like wrinkles, and I lined the ears in the Silk for a very distinctive look.  And used a lightweight interfacing on all the pattern pieces to stop the wool from stretching and distorting while making up and during the stuffing process.
I did struggle with the tusks, as I had wanted to make them from cream leather due to the texture they would have, but physically attaching them proved very difficult.  I again altered the pattern to make opened facings at the tusk points, so that the tusks could poke through, and be attached from the back.  Again this was very difficult with the limited space available to get my rather large Man hands into.  So I switched to a piece of much softer cream suede for the tusks.
Said Friend Pat suggested that I make a head dress for the elephant, and I happened to have a sample book of pure silks, which had the perfect color match for the dining room wallpaper used on the feature wall.  So with some glass beads, some Indian style mirror embellishments and a fair bit of hand stitching, I made the head dress.

I have now copied the pattern and enlarged it to 150% (I did try 200%, but from measuring it would have been over 4ft across ear tip to ear tip) and I plan to make another in a darker grey wool, Might use silk again for the ear lining.

The plaque that I mounted him to is an offcut of MDF I had in the garage, cut to size, painted per, then I used gold leaf I already had and some gilding paste again from my crafting stash.  The stuff I used, was from 2 old cushions that had seen better days, so washed, and dried the inserts, and the stuffing was re-cycled.

All in all I've very happy with the finished Head.

I will post pictures, but didn't realise that I have to subscribe in order to do that now.  (Been a while since I logged into the site and wanted to post pics) so will do that, and add pics in a bit

Acorn

Re: Elephant Head (Simplicity Pattern 1218 / discontinued)
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2020, 10:50:30 AM »
I do hope you will subscribe, but you can add pictures even as a non-subscriber.  There is a tutorial here.

He sounds gorgeous, and I look forward to seeing him in the fluff!
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

wrenkins

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2020, 11:01:11 AM »
Can't wait to see this masterpiece!!!  :o
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

Sandra

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2020, 11:06:42 AM »
Can't wait to see this masterpiece!!!  :o
Same here.

I just looked the pattern up to see what was being talked about and it sounds fabulous.
Your version sounds even fabulouser  0_0

Sandra.
xxx

Tiggersew

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2020, 11:45:02 AM »
4 pictures, showing as much detail as I can

wrenkins

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2020, 12:24:26 PM »
Now he is very smart!  :loveit:
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

Efemera

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2020, 12:40:05 PM »
He looks fabulous with that wallpaper.... I love wallpaper!

Sandra

« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2020, 12:43:34 PM »
Bravo for a job well done.  :loveit:  He's stunning.

Who could have known I'd need an elephant head to hang on the wall.  0_0

Sandra.
xxx

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2020, 12:46:33 PM »
He’s fabulous.  Goes so well with the wallpaper.
 Nice to see you here again. 

Sewbusy

« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2020, 14:38:06 PM »
I have to say that the elephant looks even better in the flesh (so to speak).

Can't wait to see the next size up version. Going to need a large expanse of wall to show it at its best.

Colour for decoration and embellishments? I'm not privy to that, yet.

snoozi soozi

« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2020, 14:40:09 PM »
Wow, that's stunning. I think we all need one. And a lion head, and a moose head and ........ oh stop  :loveit:
Let it sew, let it sew, let it sew

SkoutSews

« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2020, 15:38:24 PM »
Love it!

Elnnina

« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2020, 16:04:27 PM »
Lovely to see you on here again Tiggersew, you have been missed.  Your Elephant is absolutely gorgeous, and it is lovely to learn that Sewbusy has helped you out with some fabrics.  The elephant is beautifully sewn, and everything is just right - well done.

Iminei

« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2020, 16:30:51 PM »
THAT is stunning and I would (buy one)
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2020, 21:04:25 PM »
Oooh, he's rather splendid!!