The Sewing Place

Oh dear Vogue!

Greybird

Re: Oh dear Vogue!
« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2020, 21:04:42 PM »
I think they were all working from home because of the virus, leaving only the caretaker and the security guard to make up the garments.

Tamnymore

« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2020, 21:12:49 PM »
Haha. It's a nice pattern but that sample dress wouldn't convince you to buy the pattern - quite the opposite!
'One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art.' Oscar Wilde

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2020, 22:55:59 PM »
Anybody want a job?   ;)

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2020, 03:56:07 AM »
As always Vogue has been a beacon, leading us forward to fine craftsmanship and superior garment construction.

Sorry. Can't write any more. Laughing too hard. Gosh that's horrible. The band is eased on.
Hey Bill! Read the manual!  Hehehe.

Sewingsue

« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2020, 17:26:47 PM »
Or if you like, this link shows the offending dress on the Vogue site.  It is definitely Vogue's sample.       :scream:

Looking at the different angles it looks like a possible case of 'wrong fabric choice'.
Bernina Aurora 440QE, Brother BC-2500, Singer 99K (1938), Juki MO-654DE overlocker, Silver Viscount 620D overlocker.

Acorn

« Reply #20 on: June 13, 2020, 17:46:40 PM »
I think you're right.  The recommended fabric chocies on the pattern envelope are 'Linen, Cotton Blends, Sateen.'  That may conceivably be sateen (in which case a good press would do wonders), but I don't think so.

What on earth is the point of releasing sample images if they don't follow their own recommendations?!?  But then, what is the point of releasing those images if they're trying to attract people to the pattern?!?
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

sewmuchmore

« Reply #21 on: June 14, 2020, 17:32:01 PM »
I think this is an old pattern or a rehash as i remember making this for a pregnant friend 12 years ago. She didn't realise that front opening was  going to be so low so ended up making her a modesty panel as well. i remember making it in a crisp cotton poplin and it did look nice (even if i say so myself)
I did get this pattern with the Love Sewing Mag and will probably make it from some linen/cotton i have.
It's not easy being this perfekt

Janet

UttaRetch

« Reply #22 on: June 14, 2020, 18:59:20 PM »
It may be old, but it has not been discontinued.  Fortunately, the coral sample is not on the envelope front.

BriarRose

« Reply #23 on: July 21, 2020, 16:46:36 PM »
Old, ill-made, un-ironed, poor fabric choice... Imagine the rush at Vogue that day: "Oh, dear lord, we forgot the photo for this dress! Quick! Pull it out of the stack, drop it over a model's head, take the photo, and get it to the publisher before closing time in fifteen minutes."

I have a pattern of that style from the late 1960s or early 1970s. Had a similar one from the 1980s, plus the giant shoulders popular then; not sure the latter survived The Great Pattern Purge of 2015.
It's just fabric. We can out-think it.

Esme866

« Reply #24 on: July 24, 2020, 21:26:50 PM »
Just saw this thread. What a hoot.

Their sample makers are dreadful at times. The dress in question actually looks like the tension needed adjustment to me. A real newbie error.

Can't remember the pattern or number, but 2-4 years back, they featured an interesting jacket over a coordinating dress. The left side of the jacket or sleeve - can't remember now - wasn't hemmed. Raw edge hanging and not a "design element". Just shoddy work.