The Sewing Place

Quilts - almost free to good homes

Lilian

Re: Quilts - almost free to good homes
« Reply #75 on: June 30, 2020, 17:57:04 PM »
@Celia I think they are 9-patch squares  :)

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  
« Last Edit: June 30, 2020, 18:01:35 PM by Lilian »
Willing but not always able :)

Iminei

« Reply #76 on: June 30, 2020, 18:09:18 PM »
@Celia ....  please hie yourself down to DDD and I will ease you in to the Darkside.   :devil:
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

wrenkins

« Reply #77 on: June 30, 2020, 18:27:10 PM »
Well hellllloooooooo Miss @Celia  :angel: Come in come in!  :)
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

Lowena

« Reply #78 on: June 30, 2020, 18:39:28 PM »
Only two rules @Celia ......1. Remember Hotel California
                                       2. Don't eat all the Garibaldis  :thumbsup:
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Celia

« Reply #79 on: June 30, 2020, 18:46:58 PM »
@Celia ....  please hie yourself down to DDD and I will ease you in to the Darkside.   :devil:

If only I could I am still in Lockdown due to him indoors and the hospital?? But I hope  you will be proud of me look what I am doing now

Ok I know about the Garibaldis @Lowena  but Hotel California?

And @wrenkins  I think I am being tempted

wrenkins

« Reply #80 on: June 30, 2020, 18:53:39 PM »
Woo Hoo!!!! ....and she's off!  :loveit:
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

Deafoldbat

« Reply #81 on: June 30, 2020, 20:10:08 PM »
@Celia You make 9-patches. Make half with 5 dark squares and 4 light squares, and half with 5 light squares and 4 dark squares. You can keep the same fabric for all the light/dark squares in a block, or mix them up. All you're aiming for is sufficient contrast to show the pattern. When you've made enough blocks lay them out alternating 5 darks with 5 lights (iyswim). Move them around until you're happy with the over all look. Sew them together, layer them with wadding and backing, 'quilt as desired' (always a daunting phrase), bind it and use it. Simples!

Lilian

« Reply #82 on: June 30, 2020, 20:51:12 PM »
@Deafoldbat  There is no label on the 9-patch quilt. Were you aware of this?  If you want to make one and send it to me I will stitch it on  :)
Willing but not always able :)

Celia

« Reply #83 on: June 30, 2020, 23:37:25 PM »
@Deafoldbat thank you for your information on the quilt, I feel really taken with this idea and am going to look at the fabrics I have.

@Lilian thank you for your info and the close up photo helps to

Deafoldbat

« Reply #84 on: July 01, 2020, 19:42:45 PM »
@Celia Down the primrose path you come!

@Lilian There were a couple I forgot to mark. If you have a permanent marker pen, could you just write 'made by'etc in a corner of the back. Ta,  :)

@annieeg I am so pleased to see that quilt on a bed, so much better than lurking in a cupboard, and it fits just nicely too.

Happymrsg

« Reply #85 on: July 05, 2020, 21:35:42 PM »
  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

Here's my beautiful quilt on my spare bed. I may have to buy new bedding to show off the quilt better.

wrenkins

« Reply #86 on: July 05, 2020, 21:48:58 PM »
How good do all those quilts look on beds and chairs?  :loveit:
You can almost see the warmth flooding over them from the people with the big grins behind the cameras  :)

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #87 on: July 06, 2020, 07:29:16 AM »
Do quilts have a mind of their own? The one I received from @Deafoldbat was going to be a topper on the bed but instead has migrated into the study, displacing the fleece blanket (previously used when wfh and feeling a little chilly.)

I've been working from home since the start of the lockdown, and now the company is losing money and we've been told back office (ie IT, finance, HR etc) are going to be heavily cut sometime between now and March next year.
I am finding having the quilt in room a reassuring companion :-)
Thank you

Celia

« Reply #88 on: July 06, 2020, 08:17:40 AM »
  I like the idea of quilts having their own way! It is a reassuring thought.  I do hope you will not loose your job but the worse part about it is the not knowing when or even if it’s going to happen. Do look after yourself and try to stay positive.

Iminei

« Reply #89 on: July 06, 2020, 08:27:25 AM »
Quilts on the backs of chairs are brilliant!!

The (S)Crappy bargello has been on the back of mine for years and stops any draughts getting to me!
and recently September 2017's BOM quilt has made an appearance on the back of the other big chair in the dining room.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2020, 10:45:16 AM by Iminei »
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again