The Sewing Place

Hump jumper advice

sewingj

Hump jumper advice
« on: June 16, 2020, 20:48:06 PM »
I have got a Jean-a-ma-jig which I thought was the only hump jumper you could get.  But when I searched for one for a friend I discovered there is another - so now I can`t decide which to get her.  Any thoughts?

https://jaycotts.co.uk/products/jean-a-ma-jig?_pos=1&_sid=642a67e9e&_ss=r

https://jaycotts.co.uk/products/bulky-seam-aid

Flobear

Re: Hump jumper advice
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2020, 20:56:49 PM »
I would say the Jaycotts one because it has a different thickness each end.  I have one like that which came with my Pfaff. Had no idea what it was until I joined TSP!
Proud new owner of Elvistoo !!

Ellabella

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2020, 21:02:26 PM »
I’ve got the Bulky Seam Aid and use it all the time.

It certainly makes top stitching etc much easier.

It helps to keep the stitch length even when going over seams.

Helen M

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2020, 23:09:45 PM »
Mine is a home made one made with fabric at a Janome sewing class many many moons ago! It's thicker at one end than the other and was made with fabric scraps.
Stash Busting 2024 - Goal: 25 metres
So far:  1.5 metres  ------ Donated : 0 metres
Items decluttered: 55

Vezelay

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2020, 09:16:48 AM »
I have a Jean-a-ma-jig as well as a home made one but I'm more likely to take a hammer to lumpy bits these days. I keep one handy on the sewing room shelf :).

Gernella

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2020, 10:03:41 AM »
.  I have one like that which came with my Pfaff. Had no idea what it was until I joined TSP!

Same here, then when I did want to use it I'd lost the box it was in.
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

Iminei

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2020, 13:00:00 PM »
Both The Splurge and The Splurgess had these with the accessories ... I believe I might have thought they might have been for high shank buttons ... Does that even make sense ????  :facepalm:

But the first time I saw one used was by @Sakar  when she finished the hem on my Father Christmas (December 2018 BOM) 

Lots of layers and TS couldnt cope without making a complete mess ... so whilst I was there (yes thats right ... at her home in Austria ... yeah, those threats to visit YOU aren't as empty as you think ... mwahaha  :devil:) she calmly took out her machines HJ and it was all over before I could register what she had done!!!  :o
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

coffeeandcake

« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2020, 13:35:54 PM »
I'd suggest the second one too. The ones that have come with my Pfaffs also have a needle hole in (in addition to the ones I've made by sewing through them).The hole is useful for sliding the needle into to insert it and remove it from, the machine.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2020, 15:09:35 PM by Iminei »

Elnnina

« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2020, 14:40:01 PM »
Regarding the question about the Humper Jumper – back in May 2017 there was a posting by Dalron(AU) on 29th May 2017 entitled Clearance Plate (also known as the Humper Jumper) and in this post there is a link to a Youtube video  from Australia in which the demonstrator shows you how to shorten a pair of jeans and resew the hem so that they look exactly like they did when you bought them.  She shows you how to use the Clearance Plate – and it is an excellent tutorial on how to use this gadget.

So Chic

« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2020, 14:45:55 PM »
I just use a piece of paper folded up to the thickness needed.
So Chic
Bernina Artista 630, Bernina 800DL, Janome Cover Pro 1000CP and an elderly Singer Touch & Sew 720G as a back up

wrenkins

« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2020, 16:55:51 PM »
Hereit is. Around the 9 minute mark.
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

Iminei

« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2020, 17:03:19 PM »
Brilliant ... thankee wrenkie  xxxx
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Elnnina

« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2020, 17:54:21 PM »
Thanks for putting up that link Wrenkins,  I have yet to learn how to get links put in a post. I watched this Youtube video back in 2017 and was thoroughly impressed with the presentation and of course the gadget in question, and of course I now have this Clearance Plate in my accessory box - a wonderful, yet so simple way of riding the bumps, and by showing this on a double hem pair of denim jeans showed this to perfection. 

In the past  I made myself a little felt wedge and this has worked, but I do like the Clearance plate that has both a thicker and thinner side - we should all have one.

Sakar

« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2020, 19:54:33 PM »
Lots of layers and TS couldnt cope without making a complete mess ... so whilst I was there (yes thats right ... at her home in Austria ... yeah, those threats to visit YOU aren't as empty as you think ... mwahaha  :devil:) she calmly took out her machines HJ and it was all over before I could register what she had done!!!  :o

@Iminei You have to visit us again then I can show you, what I did, how often you want  :devil: