The Sewing Place

Fit and finished

UttaRetch

Fit and finished
« on: June 17, 2020, 09:55:43 AM »
This morning on BBC Radio 4, I listened to fashion industry advisor, Emma Hayes, exploring 'Why the fit of clothes matters'.  It's only 15 minutes long.

Iminei

Re: Fit and finished
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2020, 12:47:54 PM »
Wonderful! Thank you for that @UttaRetch  a really enjoyable half hour!
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Flobear

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2020, 09:00:46 AM »
Very interesting piece. Thanks for the link @UttaRetch .

I always liked Richard Shops back in the day as their stuff, especially trousers, fitted my shape.
Proud new owner of Elvistoo !!

annieeg

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2020, 09:47:11 AM »
I've just listened and it is indeed very interesting, particularly the reference to avatars.
I'm not sure but either Bootstrap or Lekala offer an avatar image when you load your measurements.
FYI Last summer I  bought a RTW button thru dress from the curvy range at ASOS, size 22.  When it came it was HUUUUGE - more like a size 32, but the label most clearly said 22 :scream:
I keep intending to take it apart and recut to fit me.

wrenkins

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2020, 10:57:43 AM »
My favourite pair of trousers EVER came from a Richard Shop. I tried them on but couldn't afford them then went back the next day and bought them.  :[ Fine navy dogtooth with little splits at the ankles.  :loveit: :loveit: :loveit:
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

UttaRetch

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2020, 11:36:10 AM »
I have just listened to the programme and was surprised at the high proportion of returns because of fit issues.  Surely businesses cannot think that a 70% return rate is a sustainable model, especially as the costs of dealing with returns is high.  I read somewhere that it runs into the billions across all sectors who do online business.  I was also shocked to learn that unworn clothing is ending up in landfills.

The industry has a long way to go until it recognises the diversity of the female body and is in no hurry to do so.  However, we who sew know that fit is not an easy thing unless you are fortunate enough to fit the standard body type.

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2020, 12:03:40 PM »
Very interesting thanks @UttaRetch.  It is almost impossible to supply garments that will fit everyone.  There are so many different shapes and sizes.  But I do think they need to look at today’s people a bit more.  We are not the same shapes we were years ago.  Our jobs and way of life has changed that.  Yet garments are still produced the same and so are the patterns. 

sewmuchmore

« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2020, 18:49:23 PM »
Its not just RTW clothes that seem to have fitting problems. I have recently ordered shoes/trainers from Moshulu and Hotter in my usual size, (the size i normally wear from these companies) only to have to return them all as they were massive. At one time shoe sizes did seem to be pretty consistent across all companies so why do they all seem to have made everything bigger?
It's not easy being this perfekt

Janet

UttaRetch

« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2020, 19:54:45 PM »
I have the opposite problem.  I am finding that what used to be wide fitting is nothing of the sort with some brands.  I am also miffed that M&S doesn't have wide fit in store and that a fab pair of their trainers I recently saw, only comes in a standard fit. 

Lollipop

« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2020, 21:17:58 PM »
I get miffed when wide fit shoes start at size 4  :angry: my feet are little squares as they are wide but not long - a bit like the rest of me  0_0
Was Sewnanny

Flobear

« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2020, 21:49:37 PM »
I got miffed when I bought my usual style and size of knickers at M&S and found that they were wearable but on the tight side. I have not changed size or shape so why did they? And it's not the sort of thing you can return.
Proud new owner of Elvistoo !!

Helen M

« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2020, 23:21:46 PM »
I got miffed when I bought my usual style and size of knickers at M&S and found that they were wearable but on the tight side. I have not changed size or shape so why did they? And it's not the sort of thing you can return.

Eversince I did a 'making your pattern fit you' class at Janome UK many moons ago I've always bought knickers in a size or sometimes even 2 sizes larger than I would normally buy. The crotch measurement comes into it and I have a longer than average one so if it applies to trousers it can also make a difference with underwear. Also I think there is more elastane in underwear these days making it cling more when you don't necessarily want it to.
Stash Busting 2024 - Goal: 25 metres
So far:  3.0 metres  ------ Donated : 0 metres
Items decluttered: 72

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2020, 00:32:35 AM »
Shoes. I wear a 10½ mostly now. Some brands don't make any in that size. I was in a store last year that informed me that they don't stock them even if they are available. Was I wrong to be pleased when that chain tanked a few months later?  ;)
Hey Bill! Read the manual!  Hehehe.