The Sewing Place

I need inspiration

Lowena

I need inspiration
« on: June 17, 2020, 16:32:12 PM »
I want to make a double bed quilt and I need help.
Nothing I'm seeing gives me inspiration. I need a block or blocks which are not too fiddly but will look impressive.Colours, dark blue, teal and a variety of oranges.
Can you give it your best shot and enthuse me please.
I made Kenoras (I think) final block but found it dreadfully fiddly.
Simple (ish)  and striking... Not bland and boring!!!  I'm stuck  :thinking:
Triumph of hope over experience :D

wrenkins

Re: I need inspiration
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2020, 16:40:09 PM »
Would you prefer traditional or modern @Lowena? I've been watching back to back quilt videos on You Tube.
Angela Walters, Donna Jordan and Jenny Doan have been my constant companions during lockdown. I find Donna's voice a bit grating but I like the way she works. Lots of nice wee tips.
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

Iminei

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2020, 16:56:42 PM »

Blues and oranges ... lovely!!!
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Lowena

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2020, 17:07:17 PM »
Thanks girls, @wrenkins I am not a visual learner so YouTube is no good for me I'm afraid.
That pattern certainly looks effective @Iminei showing I'm on the right lines for colours.
I'm open to either modern or traditional just want it to have a certain amount of impact  :D

wrenkins

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2020, 18:05:09 PM »
Your woman Donna shows the pattern and tells you where you can get the words. I have two jelly rolls to use and I fancy one of her ideas for them. When I say fancy I mean I ordered the other fabrics about an hour ago.  :[
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

supergran

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2020, 19:17:41 PM »
She often has free patterns to download as well.

StitchinTime

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2020, 19:33:09 PM »
I made this quilt using only squares and three colours, however, the background is very scrappy (I used over 25 different fabrics) so you might need a good range of FQs in one colour.

There may be a pattern for it somewhere, but I worked out my own as there were only two blocks needed (one scrappy and one for the “diamonds”. I could write up some instructions and diagrams if you were interested.

wrenkins

« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2020, 19:35:50 PM »
I should have remembered that @supergran. I may even have downloaded some several of them.

Lowena

« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2020, 19:37:09 PM »
Thanks,I don't download stuff.

Pearl

« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2020, 20:07:26 PM »
How about a shadow quilt?  Not fiddly but impactful.  I love this example with grey "shadows".

Or Ohio Stars on point like this:-

« Last Edit: June 17, 2020, 20:14:29 PM by Pearl »

Lowena

« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2020, 20:10:21 PM »
Very nice :D

BrendaP

« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2020, 20:59:50 PM »
Rail Fence is one of the easiest blocks to make, just 3, 4 or 5 strips sewn together to make a square but the ways of arranging those squares is so varied.  For maximum 'pop' I suggest mostly blues and teals with just one bright orange strip per square.

Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.