The Sewing Place

birthday banner

annieeg

birthday banner
« on: June 21, 2020, 12:54:33 PM »
I have the attached quilting pattern and I want to try and make the birthday banner. 
The letters are drawn on both sides of a sheet of paper and presumably I need to:
(a) trace the letters off to separate paper (do I just use plain printing paper)?
(b) Transfer those letters to fabric which has a fusible backing?
(c)  cut the individual letters out on the fusible fabric?
(d)  fuse (press) the letters on to the front of the banner ?

Please can anyone edit/correct the steps above as necessary and - most important - direct me to what paper I should use for tracing off? 
(I have Swedish tracing paper - could I use that?)

thanks in advance for the expert TSP input :D
annie

Deafoldbat

Re: birthday banner
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2020, 20:52:31 PM »
That sounds about right. Just make sure you end up with them the right way round!

BrendaP

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2020, 21:12:12 PM »
The paper letters are just a pattern, you could use any sort of paper although if you are tracing you need to be able to see through it.

You can either apply a large piece of something like Bondaweb to the back of the fabric (leave the backing on) and use the paper letters to cut out the shapes from the fabric.   Remove the backing paper and fuse to the base fabric.
or
Use the paper patterns to cut out the letters and then apply bits of Bondaweb (or similar) to completely cover the backs of each letter.  Remove the backing paper and fuse to the banner

First method is easier but could be wasteful, second method is fiddlier but uses less of the expensive Bondaweb.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

annieeg

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2020, 22:01:06 PM »
I really admire the patience of quilters!   :faints:
I cut out a few letters (paper and then fusible fabric) this afternoon and it took me 2 hours :facepalm:
It makes cutting out a garment seem like a breeze.
I'm wondering if you can buy ready made lettering where you only have to fuse it on the background fabric but I suppose you'd need to know what colour scheme you wanted to work to.