The Sewing Place

Official Japanese Sewalong

Francesca

Official Japanese Sewalong
« on: May 11, 2017, 10:19:35 AM »
As suggested by DementedFairy, we will be taking inspiration from Japan with its rich cultural heritage in art and fashion. Inspiration and ideas will be presented to help you choose a project, whether it be a quilt inspired by Japanese flora and fauna, or an inventive dress or top from one of the amazing Japanese pattern books with their origami-like shapes and complex techniques, or maybe just a garment for you using a popular Japanese style fabric print.
I'm also bringing the start date forward as there seems to be much excitement  :D

Introduction
In this competition you can produce

Dates
The competition will run from Thursday 1st June - Friday 30th June. You have until 23.59 on the 30th to complete.

Rules
  • Your item must use an obvious, recognisable Japanese inspiration. This is open to interpretation but we would ask you to make it obvious and not too grand a leap. Possible ideas include using a Japanese pattern, traditional Japanese toys, a print with a Japanese-style design, a fabric, or inspiration direct from the country e.g flora and fauna, colours, styles.
  • You MUST NOT cut your fabric until the 1st June. You can only wash it, dry it, prepare patterns, sew a toile etc. You cannot cut your fabric.
  • You must post at least 5 times in this thread to qualify. Please be involved and post updates!
  • You must submit at least three pictures; one of your uncut fabric, one of mid-construction, and one of the finished garment. (These pics needs to be submitted at the end, so they don't have to be posted in-thread unless you want to share).

How To Enter
Please send your finished make pictures (three required, as above) to sewalongs@thesewingplace.org.uk by the deadline.

How To Win
Winners will be chosen by public vote.

Prizes
TBD

Ganbatte kudasai!

Banner

Pop this code in your signature:

Code: [Select]
[url=http://thesewingplace.org.uk/index.php/topic,1033.0.html][img]http://thesewingplace.org.uk/banners/japanese.jpg[/img][/url]
« Last Edit: June 28, 2017, 11:00:27 AM by Francesca »

Francesca

Re: Official Japanese Sewalong
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2017, 10:20:50 AM »
Free patterns, advice, and info on Japanese sewing books at: http://www.japanesesewingbooks.com/

Sellers of Japanese fabric:

MissMatatabi - reasonable shipping cost from Japan
Plush Addict
The Fabric Fox

« Last Edit: May 11, 2017, 11:17:46 AM by Francesca »

Francesca

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2017, 10:21:20 AM »
This post is reserved for FAQs.

BrendaP

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2017, 10:48:00 AM »

The competition will run from Thursday 1st June - Friday 30th June. You have until 23.59 on the 30th to complete.

• You MUST NOT cut your fabric until the 30th June. You can only wash it, dry it, prepare patterns, sew a toile etc. You cannot cut your fabric.

I think you mean that you mustn't cut your fabric until 1st June.

:fabric: :fabric: :fabric: :fabric:
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Francesca

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2017, 10:49:39 AM »
I think you mean that you mustn't cut your fabric until 1st June.

:fabric: :fabric: :fabric: :fabric:

No! Time travellers ONLY.

Mama likes to make

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2017, 11:04:27 AM »
Oh excellent. I have some gorgeous Japanese print cotton I can use to make something for DD.
2018 fabric used 12m.
2018 wardrobe items completed 6.

Lyn-J

« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2017, 15:44:51 PM »
Will this do?
Japan001 by Lyn-J, on Flickr
Love this but not to sure what to make.
I'm not to sure which way up the writing should go, can anyone read it?
It probably says something rude  :S

Francesca

« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2017, 17:19:45 PM »
I'm not to sure which way up the writing should go, can anyone read it?
It probably says something rude  :S

I asked my Japanese colleague for you:

「洋」is a real Japanese word.
The stamp must be showing someone’s name and I cannot read it.
But we use that kind of stamp for your signature.

「洋」
It is not a difficult word but I am struggling to find the literal translation for this word.
It means Western, European, Foreign, etc… (literally opposite word of the word, Japan).

Lyn-J

« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2017, 17:30:12 PM »
Thanks to you and your colleague, Fran  <3

UttaRetch

« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2017, 17:52:53 PM »
Free patterns, advice, and info on Japanese sewing books at: http://www.japanesesewingbooks.com/

Plush Addict

These

from the Plush Addict site are gorgeous.  They are both quite expensive per metre, but you could squeeze out a fitted or A-line skirt or at a pinch, a simple shift.

Vegegrow

« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2017, 18:53:04 PM »
Love the fabric Lyn -J

Can't like so I'm posting reply's which is probably a good thing
"The only place where housework comes before needlework is in the dictionary." ~Mary Kurtz

DementedFairy

« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2017, 18:58:40 PM »
I have no inspiration at all right now.  Oh dear!
C'est moi!

Catllar

« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2017, 00:00:54 AM »
Think I'll take a rain check on this one!
If life gives you lemons, add to gin and tonic !

Iminei

« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2017, 13:31:19 PM »
Errrrmmm...

I'm in.

When do we post the first pic of the ingredients, so to speak?
And can we practice before 1st June ???
« Last Edit: May 14, 2017, 09:48:12 AM by Iminei »
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Catllar

« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2017, 14:54:20 PM »

MissMatatabi - reasonable shipping cost from Japan
Plush Addict
The Fabric Fox

Fran, now just stop it - I've already decided this is not for me then I go and look at stuff and remember how much I like sewing with Japanese double gauze and how lovely it is to wear -....... no , no, no ..AND I'm under the influence of lunchtime drinking, so I'm fragile emotionally at the mo - sob!
If life gives you lemons, add to gin and tonic !