The Sewing Place

Official Japanese Sewalong

Lizzy777

Re: Official Japanese Sewalong
« Reply #405 on: June 28, 2017, 19:43:15 PM »
Thank you everyone ...The truth is obviously that I cant really sew!

It is packed and on its way to Deepest Darkest Hampshire first thing tomorrow

.... and now I can stop being a fool and get back to the Darkest Depths of the Dark Side where I belong!

Good tut Lilian, thank you, just a lil too late!
Makes me feel such a fool! (that I can't do something that she makes look so simple)

You can sew otherwise you wouldn't have go as far as you did with the jacket. You just need someone to show you how to insert the sleeves and then you will be fine doing it on your own. You're not a fool, you have done a pretty good job so far with the jacket and I have enjoyed reading your posts and watching the jacket come together.  I would have finished the jacket off for you if syrinx couldn't do it and sent it back to you.  It's important to get the measurements right at the outset and then to keep to seam allowances you decide on right from the outset. It's too easy to lose sight of that I think sometimes?

Sandra

« Reply #406 on: June 28, 2017, 21:52:50 PM »
Oh, Iminei...how disheartening for you. :(

Agree with Lizzy777's comments....It was coming together beautifully.

Now,(wags finger :))... no more nonsense like.... 'I can't really sew' ....Everyone gets something which just won't go together as we'd hoped. (That's why most of us have UFO's piling up)....And, you were working towards a deadline for the sewalong, which has made you feel more under pressure to get it finished.

Hope you'll feel tempted to join in with another sewalong sometime...

Sandra.
xxx

Iminei

« Reply #407 on: June 29, 2017, 07:23:47 AM »
Awwww thank you girls...... but I just don't feel the love when I'm sewing clothes.

I mean I liked the fabric very much and, even with all the french seaming and the ever increasing Iminei, it fitted well; though I was sceptical about the sleeves from the off.

I suppose I was trying to run before I could walk, making a reversible jacket out of one layer of fabric. If I try hard and think back, Im sure my lovely B&W chinese jacket that I had all those years ago was double fabric...well it had to be didn't it, black one side, B&W patterned the other....D'OH!!!

Anyhoo ... must remember to tell Syrinx ....
The seams have been done 1/4" wrong sides together, trimmed down and then 1/4" rights sides together.
Sewn down on the inside (red side)

Hope you'll feel tempted to join in with another sewalong sometime...

I will, when its A Dark Side Sewalong ... that I haven't organised!

My mysteryquiltalongathon quilt has been finished since February you know ... just saying!
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Jo

« Reply #408 on: June 29, 2017, 08:26:29 AM »
Imi, it's ok, we all like different things. I for one can't/don't want to do patchwork. Don't have any love for it. Clothes making tho...different matter. I usually do a muslin (or three) for every new design I try. Sometime I get so frustrated I don't pass the muslin stage, but I just drop it and come back after a while with new ideas and less frustration and can usually make it work.

Lizzielogs

« Reply #409 on: June 29, 2017, 08:53:37 AM »
Awwww thank you girls...... but I just don't feel the love when I'm sewing clothes.

My mysteryquiltalongathon quilt has been finished since February you know ... just saying!

I don't feel the love for clothes sewing either cos I'm a scaredypants but if you ever run a Quiltalongathon for Dummies where the finished quilt is as big as a face flannel with about 10 pieces I might be tempted to have a go!

wrenkins

« Reply #410 on: June 29, 2017, 09:28:50 AM »
I'm afraid of sewing clothes. I started because I was skinny with enoooooormous knockers and couldn't get anything to fit! I successfully made loads of things but that was 100 years ago and now I can't remember how.
When I picked up my needle again a few months ago to go to the dark side I found a UFO which was to be a pair of soft heathery pink wool trousers. The pockets were in and the invisible zip half done. I could have wept. If I didn't know for a fact that I did them I wouldn't have believed it!
Then there was the skirt that I decided didn't need a kick pleat! I was half way along the street when I realised that it really really did.  :|
You live and learn!
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

Missie

« Reply #411 on: June 29, 2017, 09:48:28 AM »
Now,(wags finger :))... no more nonsense like.... 'I can't really sew' ....Everyone gets something which just won't go together as we'd hoped.

Oh yes, my Honig Design Garden Party dress is exactly that!  Can't tell you the number of times I took it (in different places) apart!

I agree with everyone else, you can absolutely sew and you have done a beautiful job of the jacket so far.

Iminei

« Reply #412 on: June 29, 2017, 09:48:45 AM »
Lizzie, you should join in the Mysteryquiltalongathon.....

It is really, really easy and goes together very quickly.
When I made the tut, which of course involves photographing every step, I had a quilt in a weekend...small one I grant you but its very nice, nontheless.

Why not have a quick browse of the thread....http://thesewingplace.org.uk/index.php/topic,426.0.html

Lowena

« Reply #413 on: June 29, 2017, 10:32:53 AM »
Yes Lizzie, I endorse what Imi says. The quiltalongathon is very straightforward and ideal for beginners. Do join in please  :ninja:
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Snowgoose

« Reply #414 on: June 29, 2017, 11:37:57 AM »
I found a good tut on sleeve insertion:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FmO907M0a9Q
 :)

Ooh!  I think I understand this but...could some kind person please, please explain how to neaten the raw edges once the sleeve is set in position and sewn?  Without overlocking?  Would binding work?

Iminei, your jacket is gorgeous - you CAN sew!!!  :)

Iminei

« Reply #415 on: June 29, 2017, 12:28:16 PM »
I think you are meant to finish the edges before the fabric is sewn together with a zig zag or overcast stitch.

Jo

« Reply #416 on: June 29, 2017, 12:35:01 PM »
Snowgoose, I'm just lazy so I use my pinking shears :D I do have an overlocker, but don usually use it for the sleeves as I find I'm not all that accurate.

Holly Berry

« Reply #417 on: June 29, 2017, 13:10:03 PM »
I've just come on to make a comment on how impressed I am that so many P&Q peeps were trying the sewathon.

As someone who does both, I have to say that each discipline has it's own challenges, but in their simplest form it's joining 2 pieces of fabric together. I don't want to come across as patronising but putting a sleeve in, if you use the flat method, which is becoming more and more popular in instructions, is the same as putting two curves together on a quilt.

By the flat method, the sleeve seam and side seam aren't sewn first. The sleeve head is attached to the armsyce, which is just the name given to the curve on the bodice where the sleeve fits, on the flat. This makes it much easier to ease the sleeve head in. You can also clip the curve before insertion by sewing a row of stitching just inside the seam allowance and clipping just up to but not through the stitching. You can also sew French seams, but don't clip the curve. Once it's in, the side seam and sleeve seam is sewn as one.

This method is common for sewing knits, but I have successfully used it on wovens. The only difference on wovens is that I pivot on the seam joining, under the arm, to ensure a more angled seam. Again French seams can be sewn.

Hope that helps. As I said, I don't mean to be patronising, just encouraging  <3
Procrastination get behind me

Lizzielogs

« Reply #418 on: June 29, 2017, 15:15:09 PM »
Lizzie, you should join in the Mysteryquiltalongathon.....

It is really, really easy and goes together very quickly.
When I made the tut, which of course involves photographing every step, I had a quilt in a weekend...small one I grant you but its very nice, nontheless.

Why not have a quick browse of the thread....http://thesewingplace.org.uk/index.php/topic,426.0.html

Noooo - quick someone get the smelling salts, even the thought of it is giving me the vapours!!

Lizzielogs

« Reply #419 on: June 29, 2017, 15:16:10 PM »
Yes Lizzie, I endorse what Imi says. The quiltalongathon is very straightforward and ideal for beginners. Do join in please  :ninja:

One day when I am braver perhaps and have retired from my retirement!