The Sewing Place

Official Japanese Sewalong

Francesca

Re: Official Japanese Sewalong
« Reply #75 on: May 20, 2017, 19:19:58 PM »
You can only submit one thing as your entry. The exception to this would be if the things you make somehow form a reasonable "set" of items. E.g, bag and purse set, cushion and quilt set, dress and jacket set.

You can of course make multiple things and chat about them during the sewalong, you'll just want to pick the one you want to submit as your entry at the end.

Snowgoose

« Reply #76 on: May 20, 2017, 23:36:46 PM »
You can't really go far wrong with kimono styles Imi, they're just rectangles, originally designed [like most really old, traditional clothes] to be minimal or zero waste as fabric weaving is expensive.

Nothing to fit, you'd only have to consider seam finishes so that the insides are neat too.  Go on, move towards the light!

Please can someone explain the best way to finish the seams on this http://lunenburgartist.blogspot.co.uk/2014/10/plu-size-diy-kimono-sewing-without.html  I understand - I think - how French seams work but, how could these seams be neatened?  I don't have zig zag available nor overlocker (have yet to learn how to use).  I thought binding as I'd like the seams to look pretty and neat because I would like to turn this into a dressing gown for summer, but how to turn the corner under the arm?  I'm so sorry if this is a stupid question but I just can't see how to do it   -<  :(

Francesca

« Reply #77 on: May 21, 2017, 00:27:51 AM »
Please can someone explain the best way to finish the seams on this http://lunenburgartist.blogspot.co.uk/2014/10/plu-size-diy-kimono-sewing-without.html  I understand - I think - how French seams work but, how could these seams be neatened?  I don't have zig zag available nor overlocker (have yet to learn how to use).  I thought binding as I'd like the seams to look pretty and neat because I would like to turn this into a dressing gown for summer, but how to turn the corner under the arm?  I'm so sorry if this is a stupid question but I just can't see how to do it   -<  :(

The problem with binding is that it can add extra bulk, which is why it's not often used on thin, lightweight fabrics. But is there a reason you can't french seam it?

Ploshkin

« Reply #78 on: May 21, 2017, 07:30:28 AM »
This is my fabric.  It is a fine, closely woven cotton.  I had various others as possibilities but as soon as I saw this one I really liked it.
Life's too short for ironing.

Iminei

« Reply #79 on: May 21, 2017, 08:16:43 AM »
Beautiful!

How do you Girls find these fabrics?
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

UttaRetch

« Reply #80 on: May 21, 2017, 08:41:49 AM »
There is a big, wide fabric world beyond the darkside, Iminei.  ;)

Sandra

« Reply #81 on: May 21, 2017, 09:09:26 AM »
There seems to be a lot of interest in this sewalong...some lovely fabrics and ideas.

I'm hoping to make a kimono.

I bought several bolts of kimono fabric a few years ago, off Ebay, (proper stuff from Japan), and I'm hoping I don't get too much 'real' work in to ruin my plans.
(Someone has asked my friend for my number because they have 'some bridesmaids dresses' to alter....I hope they've found someone else to do them).

I've always fancied trying to make a kimono and this is my perfect chance to give it a go.

Sandra.
xxx

BrendaP

« Reply #82 on: May 21, 2017, 09:45:57 AM »
Please can someone explain the best way to finish the seams on this http://lunenburgartist.blogspot.co.uk/2014/10/plu-size-diy-kimono-sewing-without.html

There are several different ways of finishing seam allowances here.  A flat fell seam is possibly the option I would choose for a kimono.  It's often used on men's shirts.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Holly Berry

« Reply #83 on: May 21, 2017, 14:23:02 PM »
I'm hoping to participate in this sewalong.

However I just want to check it's within the rules. For a while now I have been making some Japanese blocks with the intention of turning them into a quilted jacket. I'm going to make a Haori, which I understand is a jacket/coat worn over a kimono. Like a kimono it's made up of rectangles. I've not yet sewn the blocks together and not therefore not done the quilting.

My query is am I allowed to quilt it before the start of the competition or is that considered starting too soon?
Procrastination get behind me

Francesca

« Reply #84 on: May 21, 2017, 16:58:41 PM »
I'm hoping to participate in this sewalong.

However I just want to check it's within the rules. For a while now I have been making some Japanese blocks with the intention of turning them into a quilted jacket. I'm going to make a Haori, which I understand is a jacket/coat worn over a kimono. Like a kimono it's made up of rectangles. I've not yet sewn the blocks together and not therefore not done the quilting.

My query is am I allowed to quilt it before the start of the competition or is that considered starting too soon?

I'm afraid it needs to be made entirely within the sewalong. No fabric cutting prior to the start date. I'm sorry!

Holly Berry

« Reply #85 on: May 21, 2017, 17:14:15 PM »
OK, I just thought that as it's effectively making my own fabric it might have been ok. It would be impossible to do it all from scratch within the time frame.

BrendaP

« Reply #86 on: May 21, 2017, 22:53:03 PM »
I've got two possibilities for this sewalong.

1, I've found a free pattern on Craftsy for Turning Japanese Bag and I've got an off-cut/remnant of blue figured satin with butterflies which I think would make a nice evening bag.

2, I've got a metre of black, white and gold P&Q fabric printed with cranes but absolutely no idea as to what it could make.  Inspiration needed.

Decision made.  I'm going to make the bag because, as per Snowgoose's suggestion, I've spent much of today making a sewing machine cover using the cranes fabric.  The handles for the bag arrived yesterday along with some Vilene Decofil Light and some Vilene Style-Vil] 

On close measuring there was just enough of each of these to make both bag and machine cover.  I've marked out the bag pieces to be sure - but haven't cut them.

« Last Edit: June 05, 2017, 11:59:20 AM by BrendaP »
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.

UttaRetch

« Reply #87 on: May 22, 2017, 09:00:57 AM »
Brenda, your links are broken.  I have re-posted them here and here.

BrendaP

« Reply #88 on: May 22, 2017, 09:51:22 AM »
Thank you. 

Don't know what I did wrong.  Maybe it was the sore finger from the hand quilting I did yesterday over the Style-Vil. 

Holly Berry

« Reply #89 on: May 22, 2017, 12:53:27 PM »
Sadly I'm not going to be able to participate. I've hunted through my stash and don't have any other suitable fabric.

I will, if I may, still make my haori, and post my progress, either here or on a separate thread but not enter the competition.

I've made all the blocks, I've just got to sew them all together to make a single piece of fabric.