The Sewing Place

Hot weather clothing and bedding

SewRuthieSews

Hot weather clothing and bedding
« on: June 22, 2020, 15:59:00 PM »
Later this week is due to be quite hot, and since I already run a bit hot in the torso since I'm just into the menopause I am dreading it a bit, especially night time.

I am open to suggestions!

I like very thin cotton PJs with an adjustable waist on the trousers and sleeveless top.
Cotton bedding on the bed, and no duvet just the duvet cover.
Shut the curtains in the daytime and open the windows in the evening.

Loose viscose shirts and elasticated waist culottes in the daytime.
Drink water, use fan (and I have a mini swamp cooler).

Then by the next week its normally cooled down again and I am really relieved.

Missie

Re: Hot weather clothing and bedding
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2020, 17:07:56 PM »
Cotton bedding all the way (and only white; the kids can have what they want, but mine has to be white cotton!) and in the summer cotton PJs.  I'm quite fancying the more retro style currently and have downloaded Gertie's free pj pattern (on her Charm Patterns website).

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2020, 17:10:28 PM »
I sleep naked, and a lot of the time with the duvet pushed off. the window is always open.  Sometimes I do wake up quite cold...

sewingj

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2020, 17:14:47 PM »
You can get cooling pads which are sold for dogs but work pretty well for ladies of a certain age.  They have a gel in which cools down under pressure.  I had a fairly small one which I placed under the back of my neck

Ooh - I`ve found one that is actually intended for humans

https://www.amazon.co.uk/2X-KEPLIN-Cooling-Gel-Pillows/dp/B07TW8QCSS

Efemera

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2020, 17:16:19 PM »
Another naked sleeper.. can’t be done with stuff wrapping itself around you in the night.

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2020, 17:35:58 PM »
Another one that sleeps with nothing on.  So much comfier.  Pure cotton sheets and like @Missie they have to be white.  Big windows will be open all night when it gets hot later this week.  We have a 1 tog quilt which is useful.  But if it’s very hot then it’s just the duvet cover. 

Something we have found works well is to open up the loft hatch.  If we have a good summer it can be open for weeks.  As hot air rises it seems logical really. Can’t remember where I heard it but does make a difference.  We also take down our curtains and put up a pair of voiles.   It lets the air through a bit more.  Alternatively pull the curtains back some way to allow the air in.  As we're on our own we also have the bedroom door wide open.  And the door to the en-suite is open and the window is open in there. 

Hope that gives you some ideas.  It’s miserable when you can’t sleep and you’re hot. 

Acorn

« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2020, 17:43:00 PM »
It is quite important to have more than one window open, without a door or barrier between them, so that the air will move properly.

When it's hot and I can't sleep I get up, run the cold tap until the water is cold, and then hold the inside of each wrist under the flow of water for around 15 seconds.  It really works.
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

BrendaP

« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2020, 20:40:47 PM »
White cotton flat sheets all year round.  When it's really warm one sheet on top is enough, not the two layers of a duvet cover, and a loose cotton or viscose nightie.

By day a cotton dress, preferably loose fitting.  Just the thought of wearing trousers in very warm weather makes me feel hot.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

jen

« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2020, 21:05:08 PM »
In really hot weather if I can't sleep I wipe my skin over with cold water, pulse points, face, back of the neck, arms, legs, and let it air dry,

snoozi soozi

« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2020, 21:14:31 PM »
Fill a hot water bottle with water and freeze, take to bed with you and cuddle it. Bliss  ;)
Let it sew, let it sew, let it sew

Helen M

« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2020, 21:44:13 PM »
I find a nightdress to be cooler than pyjamas, sort of midi length.

Also think about turning off your waterheater for a few days and switch on only when you need hot water.
Stash Busting 2024 - Goal: 25 metres
So far:  1.5 metres  ------ Donated : 0 metres
Items decluttered: 55

Mick

« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2020, 22:12:33 PM »
You can get cooling pads which are sold for dogs but work pretty well for ladies of a certain age.  They have a gel in which cools down under pressure.  I had a fairly small one which I placed under the back of my neck

Ooh - I`ve found one that is actually intended for humans

https://www.amazon.co.uk/2X-KEPLIN-Cooling-Gel-Pillows/dp/B07TW8QCSS

My wife suffered from really bad night sweats when she was going through the menopause. She got something similar to and always said that it helped a lot.

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2020, 01:42:21 AM »
Hmm. I'm now picturing everyone naked.  :scream:  ;)

I use a nap blanket which is simply about a 1 ½ yard length of cotton fabric with a little hem at each end. It leaves my feet exposed to the fan and I stay cooler. Or a king sized pillow case. Just covers the torso and upper thighs.
Hey Bill! Read the manual!  Hehehe.

Catllar

« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2020, 09:54:10 AM »
We sleep in the buff. Haven't been under a sheet since we got here! All the bedding here is pure cotton ( And there's a duvet on the bed too!!!)  Doors fully open to the garden and fan going.

Loose dresses are cooler than pants of any sort - remove any constriction round waist.

Found that my European hot weather clothing is not up to this tropical heat so I bought some light  handkerchief weight linen dresses and a couple of rayon jobbies.

Here the temperature dropped to a chilly 29  yesterday morning  as it's now  almost what the Balinese call winter, and they're all wearing hoodies and gloves and sweatshirts!

Keep well hydrated. I drink easily 3 litres of water  a day, helps avoid night cramps.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2020, 09:59:21 AM by Catllar »
If life gives you lemons, add to gin and tonic !

Missie

« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2020, 11:30:42 AM »
Pure cotton sheets and like @Missie they have to be white. 

Hurrah, I'm not alone.  Most people look at me weirdly when I say only white bedding will do! 0_0