The Sewing Place

Most useful Bias Tape Maker?

sewingj

Most useful Bias Tape Maker?
« on: June 23, 2020, 13:16:58 PM »
I am assembling a package of "extras" for a friend who has recently returned to sewing.  I thought I would include a bias tape maker.  I`ve got 3 Clover ones of different widths - I think I got the widest one when I had a go at bag making.

If you just had one which width would you find most useful?  And are Clover the best?  I have seen sets of 3 unbranded ones which are considerably cheaper but don`t want her to be put off by trying to use one that doesn`t work properly

snoozi soozi

Re: Most useful Bias Tape Maker?
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2020, 16:01:42 PM »
The one I use the most is 25mm.

I bought a set from Amazon, don't know what make they are  :S
Let it sew, let it sew, let it sew

Tamnymore

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2020, 16:34:51 PM »
Good on you peeps who manage to use these things. The one time I tried make bias tape with a gadget I got a stretchy mess! After that I put a pin on the ironing board and pulled the tape through with one hand while holding the iron in the other. Maybe I should have another go.
'One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art.' Oscar Wilde

annieeg

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2020, 16:54:18 PM »
I bought one of the simplicity electric ones on eBay for £16  -  bargain!
Only thing is it only came with 1 size tape holder 1".
I need smaller size but they are really hard to find ...

Acorn

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2020, 17:23:16 PM »
Good on you peeps who manage to use these things. The one time I tried make bias tape with a gadget I got a stretchy mess! After that I put a pin on the ironing board and pulled the tape through with one hand while holding the iron in the other. Maybe I should have another go.

I think that's he way my gadget is designed to work... it's certainly the way I use it!  Mine is this set.
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Vezelay

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2020, 17:59:45 PM »
Mine is like Acorn's only cheaper but without the nifty case. Plenty of them on Amazon as well, all from China. It works perfectly, very handy. I haven't used the smallest 6mm one yet but I might. The 4 set in a case would make a nice addition to your "extras".

UttaRetch

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2020, 22:34:42 PM »
@sewingj, should you be imposing a bias tape maker on someone you call a friend?   ;)  Making your own bias binding is right up their with stuffing a mushroom.  Life is just too short.

Greybird

« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2020, 22:57:28 PM »
I disagree. I love making and using my own bias binding. Lovely to be able to use matching/contrasting/patterned fabric for it. I have only the 1 inch tape maker and find it useful for most purposes.

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2020, 03:13:56 AM »
@sewingj, should you be imposing a bias tape maker on someone you call a friend?   ;)  Making your own bias binding is right up their with stuffing a mushroom.  Life is just too short.

Thank you. I'll add mushrooms to the shopping list. Cat flea drops and mushrooms. An exciting life...

I enjoy stuffing mushrooms and making bias tape. Go figure.
Hey Bill! Read the manual!  Hehehe.

Kwaaked

« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2020, 05:47:07 AM »
I have the set Acorn listed and I cheat: once I get it started, I set my iron down and pull the tape under it.

sewingj

« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2020, 07:48:50 AM »
@UttaRetch  I think perhaps you`ve been a bit spoilt by living in London!  If I need some bias binding I have to resort to the internet - it`s much easier to make some from scraps I already have

UttaRetch

« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2020, 07:56:13 AM »
Point taken.  It's easy to be flippant when I can walk out of the door and find most of what I need in the shops or on market stalls.

Acorn

« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2020, 09:07:40 AM »
It's also very hard to find bias binding that isn't made out of coarse cotton that fades quickly!

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2020, 11:18:24 AM »
Purchased bias binding is often horrible stuff.  Making your own means you get a decent quality to use.

Acorn

« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2020, 12:10:41 PM »
Seasalt offer ready made bias binding to match some of their fabrics - made from the same fabric.   :D