The Sewing Place

Most useful Bias Tape Maker?

Ann

Re: Most useful Bias Tape Maker?
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2020, 12:49:44 PM »
I have Clover bias tape makers. I bought mine all separately when doing Japanese weaving. I still use the largest one (1") when I made bias tape for doll clothes. Mine don't have the handle thingy on them as they are the ones for adding a fusible strip to the bias tape when doing the strips for weaving.

I enjoy making bias tape and piping. You get unique one of a kind bias tape and piping for your projects. Worth the little bit of effort it takes to make.

I'm not sure which size to recommend. If doing bias binding on potholders maybe the 2". I don't have that size as I have never used one when making fold over bias binding. When I use one, it is only for flat usage only.
Stash Busting 2023
Goal: 50 metres

Kwaaked

« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2020, 08:18:55 AM »
I think making bias tape is one of those weird skills you wind up acquiring because you have to.  Then you wind up doing it so much it's like, meh. 

I used to dislike it, then I had to make something like 100 yards of the stuff for a petticoat that all the edges were bound and of course, I couldn't find the right crap.  At the end of that, well, anything normal is a total non-issue really. 

Marniesews

« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2020, 19:24:26 PM »
The one time I tried make bias tape with a gadget I got a stretchy mess! After that I put a pin on the ironing board and pulled the tape through with one hand while holding the iron in the other.

Not as foolproof as we might be led to believe I found too but I eventually settled on the technique of skimming the gadget lightly over the top of the ironing board while edging along on the on the other end fractionally lifting and pressing my iron. This produced the most consistent fold and kept the stretch in the bias itself.
Hopefully back more regularly! Ballroom sewing may be permanently paused but bag making is the current focus.