The Sewing Place

Wax Tracing Paper

charlotte

Wax Tracing Paper
« on: June 25, 2020, 12:23:08 PM »
I am absolutely desperate for some white wax tracing paper. Yellow would also do at a push. You only seem to be able to buy it in the US... the most reasonable shipping cost to the UK I have found is the $27 from American Sewing Supply but they aren't shipping orders at the moment - I have an order pending with them because there is nothing to tell you this on their website, but I've been waiting since March. I really don't want to pay $50+ for shipping which is what it seems to be from other retailers. I thought $27 was steep enough! I will even accept it folded, which is not ideal but better than nothing.

This is the stuff I'm looking for.

Any ideas?

sleepingwolf

Re: Wax Tracing Paper
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2020, 12:37:54 PM »
The best affordable wax tracing paper I have found is this from Burda.  The sheets are folded not rolled but in practice I find it makes little difference.  I tend to use the yellow rather than the white because my colour discrimination isn't great but both work perfectly well.

Lilian

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2020, 13:19:01 PM »
I can second the Burda wax paper, have used it and it works well  :thumbsup:
Willing but not always able :)

charlotte

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2020, 13:57:30 PM »
Thanks for the link and the second recommendation @sleepingwolf and @Lilian ! It's reasonably priced and has next day delivery so I will order some to give it a go, but I don't think it's what I'm after.

It says carbon paper rather than wax paper. The wax paper I like to use leaves a very solid permanent line, whereas carbon paper I have used previously (can't remember if it was burda or another brand) left a very chalk-y faint line that tended to disappear under the sewing machine needle or the iron. Obviously great if you want to have a line that disappears on your finished garment, and probably what most people want, but I am looking for something to permanently mark my underlining with no risk of vanishing.

annieeg

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2020, 15:22:53 PM »
@charlotte
Try looking for Saral on Amazon.

Missie

« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2020, 15:28:59 PM »
A few of us on the old site got together and split an order of this.  I might have some yellow, if I can remember where I put it.  Let me have a little look around.  I'm not a fan of it, so if I can find it, you are welcome to it @charlotte

charlotte

« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2020, 15:35:23 PM »
That would be amazing @Missie 

If you find it and you definitely don't want it I would be more than happy to buy it off you.  :D

charlotte

« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2020, 13:03:06 PM »
Ooh apparently my pending order fro. American Sewing supply has now shipped so it looks like it’s on its way to me!! After three months I should have just been patient for two more days!

Missie

« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2020, 18:32:58 PM »
@charlotte and I've found my yellow wax paper, not where I thought it was, but found nonetheless.  Let me know if you need mine, you are welcome to it.

charlotte

« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2020, 15:07:34 PM »
@Missie thanks so much but mine is apparently on its way now, so I shall wait for that! :)