The Sewing Place

Crotch...

Efemera

Crotch...
« on: June 25, 2020, 13:12:10 PM »
Thought this was interesting reading if you’re making trousers.
https://winmichele.com/2020/06/15/pants-fitting-the-crotch/

Ohsewsimple

Re: Crotch...
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2020, 14:35:42 PM »
Very useful. 

Flobear

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2020, 14:50:21 PM »
Catchy thread title @Efemera  ;)

Interesting reading, though.
Proud new owner of Elvistoo !!

Helen M

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2020, 16:11:35 PM »
I follow her on Instagram and found it very interesting. I need to make a cardboard set square!

I'm convinced that the 'underneath bit' is where I need to alter the pattern pieces as I've undone seams on RTW and let them out as far as they can go when I've scooped out the seat. Makes for more comfortable wearing.
Stash Busting 2024 - Goal: 25 metres
So far:  1.5 metres  ------ Donated : 0 metres
Items decluttered: 55

Catllar

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2020, 08:53:33 AM »
This is interesting and worth saving - looks simple enough and the logic makes sense.

I am always surprised more attention isn't paid to the crotch ( unless you are my neighbour's dog) in fitting pants.

Whatever happened to that lady who posted about making sausage shapes out of tinfoil to make the crotch shape your own?

Just thought with the advent of 3d printers would it be possible to print your own crotch ( and no not like the office photocopier) shape to apply to any pants pattern rather than fiddling about each time?
« Last Edit: June 28, 2020, 08:55:08 AM by Catllar »
If life gives you lemons, add to gin and tonic !

Helen M

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2020, 10:48:19 AM »
Whatever happened to that lady who posted about making sausage shapes out of tinfoil to make the crotch shape your own?

Just thought with the advent of 3d printers would it be possible to print your own crotch ( and no not like the office photocopier) shape to apply to any pants pattern rather than fiddling about each time?

Was that the American who made the video about it too with her friend? I forget her name but I'm sure I put a link in my favourites. Will attempt to find it but there are so many I could be some time!

Good idea re the 3D printer.

Starryfish

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2020, 12:12:28 PM »
My DH has a 3D printer, and the largest piece he can print is about 8 inches square. I would not like to think what he would say if I asked him to print mine!
A day without sewing is a day wasted.

wrenkins

« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2020, 20:46:38 PM »
What about one of those bendy rulers that are used to draw graphs? Or maybe two Duct taped together (not sure how long they are).
Like this. They go up to 100cm apparently.
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

Catllar

« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2020, 07:57:44 AM »
@wrenkins and @Starryfish .  I thought you could use these 3D printers to make pretty much anything - live and learn, live and learn.  And yes the bendy thingy could work too.

@Helen M  Yes, come to think of it, I reckon she was an American lady.

dolcevita

« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2020, 16:57:12 PM »
Way back when, you used to get a thing called a flexicurve that was used in technical drawing. Rectangular in cross section, pliable plastic with a metal core. I've often thought how useful one of these (I would need a much longer one than was the standard size!) would be for determining the shape of your crotch curve.

I think I know the American lady mentioned - red hair, as bubbly as it gets and having a hilarious time with her friend whilst fitting. I can't remember her name for the life of me, but I think she had a pattern company as well.

Helen M

« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2020, 17:06:11 PM »
I think I know the American lady mentioned - red hair, as bubbly as it gets and having a hilarious time with her friend whilst fitting. I can't remember her name for the life of me, but I think she had a pattern company as well.

She's the one!

This is the link, she's now on YouTube rather than blogging and my old link that I'd saved refused to copy and paste.
 #1:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iv7F111VHUQ

#2:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EU-OKoV3PAs
« Last Edit: July 03, 2020, 17:18:01 PM by Helen M »

Catllar

« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2020, 11:48:12 AM »
That's the one!

Elnnina

« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2020, 17:21:40 PM »
A long time ago there was an article in Threads magazine showing you how to measure yourself using a flexi curve but you do need a long one and the article on this showed several different lengths, they also showed it's many uses.

The normal length we can get in the UK seems to be  50cm.  However back in the distant pass there was a lady in Paisley, Scotland who imported American sewing notions, and I asked her if she could get them in, and she did, last time I saw her selling off all her stock on e-bay - ill health had taken its toll on both her and her family.   The one she got for me was by Truflex Felexible Curve 40" ( approx 102cm) , it wasn't cheap but it is a useful tool to have in the sewing box.