The Sewing Place

THINK PINK ... 1/7 - 31/7

Lowena

Re: THINK PINK ... 1/7 - 31/7
« Reply #45 on: July 02, 2020, 15:14:02 PM »
Think of a project for me too please @Pearl  I'd quite like to join in with something this year
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Pearl

« Reply #46 on: July 02, 2020, 18:39:10 PM »
Think of a project for me too please @Pearl  I'd quite like to join in with something this year

No  :D :D :D

Sorry, @Lowena .  I can't think of one project.  I wonder if  :woof: would like a laminated pet feeding mat.

Lowena

« Reply #47 on: July 02, 2020, 18:56:11 PM »
 :P @Pearl  we'll have to put our heads together

Lilian

« Reply #48 on: July 02, 2020, 19:18:13 PM »
An apron and chefs hat or something different  :thinking:???
Willing but not always able :)

BrendaP

« Reply #49 on: July 02, 2020, 21:01:21 PM »
Well, I made a good start with the pink and grey batik and got an invisible zip in at first attempt and it looks pretty good but downhill after that.  :'(

First of all the overlocker started playing up.  I'm doing plain seams with 3 thread overlocked neatening but after the first couple of passes it started misbehaving - felt almost as though the feed dogs weren't doing their job properly, didn't sound quite right and the needle thread kept breaking.  After threading and re-threading the whole lot several times, walking away muttering rude words and again rethreading several times I changed the needle (it was already a new one for this project and first time in ages that it had been changed) and fingers crossed it seems to be better now.  It must have been a rogue new needle from Schmetz!.  In the process of doing all that I managed to catch the fabric into the overlocking for a couple of inches! but miraculously it missed the knife and I got it all unpicked without damage :faints:

Then the facing went pear shaped :scream: 
Note to self.  When a pattern ahs two options for front neckline it does not work to cut two different sets of front facings and expect them to fit.  It need one front and one back.   :headbang:
I didn't realise until I'd sewn them on and done the understitching.  Aaaagghh!
Fortunately I had enough bits of fabric left so pulled them out of the P&Q box and started again.

I think I can rescue it.  It's all pinned together ready to stich but will be tricky because I've already snipped the notches :S

Off now to have another session with a dress which should have been finished by now.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Lowena

« Reply #50 on: July 02, 2020, 21:55:53 PM »
I can't join in as I can't think of anything to make so I've put the pink fabric away again

Acorn

« Reply #51 on: July 02, 2020, 22:04:43 PM »
I have a piece of nice pink and cream jersey in a William Morris type design.  It would make a lovely t-shirt, but I'm so indecisive these days that I reckon the deadline will have passed before I've chosen a pattern.
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Celia

« Reply #52 on: July 03, 2020, 08:09:02 AM »
I have this fabric but not sure what to do with it, I bought it years ago when I wanted to start quilting, it didn’t happen and since then I have sort of kept it for that special one day ??  Any ideas?

I have no idea how far this fabric will go, what could I make
« Last Edit: July 03, 2020, 08:11:24 AM by Celia »

wrenkins

« Reply #53 on: July 03, 2020, 08:48:57 AM »
@Celia there's a channel on You Tube called Cozy Quilt Designs and she has produced a strip design quilt every month for something like 15 years. While she doesn't give the measuring details, a lot of her designs have been done by Donna Jordan who talks you through the details (and you can stop the video to count the squares for cutting). You could of course buy the pattern if you weren't a tight git like me.  0_0
If you don't pick up some strip designs there I'll eat the quilt that I am making right now. It's called double dipping and it's a Cozy Quilt design to use a strip set that I don't know what to do with!  :)  You will probably need a background fabric and possibly a small bit of accent depending on your chosen pattern. Cozy Quilts patterns have many sizes from lap to huge and the details of yardage are given on the back...which Donna helpfully waves about.  ;)
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

Iminei

« Reply #54 on: July 03, 2020, 09:00:02 AM »
Anything that requires a jelly roll (which is what that is) or 2 1/2" strips or cuts thereof ... Dont open it unless and until you are ready to sew it .. it will start to fray!

Jelly roll lone star

Summer in the Park

Jelly roll ribbon star

There plenty of tutorials out there ... All I would say is Please DONT make a jelly roll race ....
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Lowena

« Reply #55 on: July 03, 2020, 10:21:37 AM »
I second that! Never do a jelly roll race.
Lots of strip / square ideas on Pinterest. I love precuts an it shouldn't fray if it's a good quality brand.

BrendaP

« Reply #56 on: July 03, 2020, 10:33:24 AM »
I have this fabric but not sure what to do with it, I bought it years ago when I wanted to start quilting, it didn’t happen and since then I have sort of kept it for that special one day ??  Any ideas?

I have no idea how far this fabric will go, what could I make

A jelly roll is (usually) 40 x 2.5" strips across the width of the fabric.  If you just sew them together with 1/4" seam allowances the strips end up 2" wide.  40 x 2" = 80"= 2m x width (which is likely 112-115cm)

If you chop the strips into pieces for patchwork you will loose finished area in the seam allowances.  The biggest quilt you'll get from a single jelly roll is about 48"-50" square, but if you just join the strips (sew in alternate directions to avoid fabric creep turning it into a banana) the 2m of fabric would be enough for a skirt, or possibly a short sleeved top, but remember that it would need to be either lined or underlined because of all those seams.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

wrenkins

« Reply #57 on: July 03, 2020, 10:37:20 AM »
What's wrong with jelly roll races? I've seen a nice one here.
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #58 on: July 03, 2020, 14:10:01 PM »
I can always think of way more things to make than actual time (and ability) to execute them.
I do find the fabric speaks to me quite loudly sometimes.

I have fabric for
tee shirts/cardigan, a linen shirt, PJ trousers, a dressy occasion outfit (that ones not happening obviously), casual trousers.

I lack the skill for quilting, but do make small non clothing items like drawstring bags, cushion covers, fabric masks, folding shopping bags, pillow cases, peg bags etc etc

I do find nightwear can be a great way to use colours and prints I don't want to wear out e.g. panda print, semi sheer shirting etc.

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #59 on: July 03, 2020, 14:14:57 PM »
I'm now confused by all the posts - is this a patchwork competition?  I thought it was dressmaking as it's not on the "darkside"?