The Sewing Place

THINK PINK ... 1/7 - 31/7

Manuela

Re: THINK PINK ... 1/7 - 31/7
« Reply #120 on: July 30, 2020, 15:42:37 PM »
Does this mean we have to choose a coordinating face mask now before leaving the house?  :P A new modern day pressure!  0_0

@Sheilago, I actually do that  :thumbsup:

StitchinTime

« Reply #121 on: July 30, 2020, 17:41:25 PM »
StitchInTime’s Entry

A tunic and matching mask in Liberty Jersey
  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

The jersey was from eBay and the pattern was from @annieeg, though I made quite a few changes to the pattern. The length was shortened and the hem changed to a hi-lo one; only the upper part of the sleeve pattern was used and this was extended to bracelet length; the neckline was changed from scoop to vee.

This was the first time I have made an overlap v neckband, but thanks to some some clear instructions found online, no unpicking was required.

As seems to be norm these days, I made a matching facemask with the off cuts. Unfortunately even the mask can’t hide my frowny/squinty expression from looking into bright sunlight.

BrendaP

« Reply #122 on: July 31, 2020, 13:17:18 PM »
BrendaP's entry
A dress for myself with matching mask and tote bag

Pattern used
The dress is Simplicity 2249.

The mask is just pleated with elastic going over the head, as per tut on my website

The bag I made up as I went along. 

What  fabrics you used
Main fabric is a batik from Doughy's, the pink is a fat quarter from stash and the grey is the last of three duvet backs given to me by DD.

A short description on how you made it/problems overcome/etc.
Dress:  A TnT pattern.  I did make a pink tab for the front but it didn't look right and so I have removed it.

Bag: I was helping @Iminei get the right size triangles for a BOM tut.  As you can see the two blocks are not quite the same size, the front has a slightly wider border.  The handles are plaited like hair.  If there is a lot of weight in the bag plaited handles are more comfortable to hold.  There's a Suffolk Puff with a button in the centre to hide less than perfect points.  Sandwiched and quilted in the usual way.  Same fabrics on both sides even though the photos look different.

Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Puzzler

« Reply #123 on: July 31, 2020, 13:38:48 PM »
@BrendaP, is that pink hair I see? Lovely ensemble.

Lachica

« Reply #124 on: July 31, 2020, 14:09:15 PM »
Pink on blue - if it's not pink enough then disqualify me! This is the lovely cotton/viscose fabric which I made the toile for - hated the look of that - so have gone with an old faithful Prima pattern for tunic. This time I cut 14 on the shoulders (this pattern runs a bit smaller than their usual) and gave myself a bit more underarm coverage with an extra couple of cm on the bust but keeping the 14 armhole. I cut the armscye for sleeves but just made a half -sleeve, like a cap sleeve, the lower armhole is bound. The facing is made from polycotton dyed with Procion Raspberry. The colour came out perfectly for this print, a paler result due to the poly.   [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]    [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]    [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  
Mary
2020 stash: not gonna count, not gonna feel guilty.

Sheilago

« Reply #125 on: July 31, 2020, 14:15:20 PM »
Lovely @BrendaP and @Lachica . Both beautifully made and perfect for summer. Hope you’re getting more sun than we are here!

BrendaP

« Reply #126 on: July 31, 2020, 14:22:56 PM »
@BrendaP, is that pink hair I see? Lovely ensemble.
Yes! Lockdown pink.

It needs to be done after every wash, takes about 7-8 minutes each morning, so no roots to worry about and I've had quite a few compliments about the colour.   0_0
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.

BrendaP

« Reply #127 on: July 31, 2020, 14:25:09 PM »
@Lachica I love your handmade label - and the top.

Lachica

« Reply #128 on: July 31, 2020, 14:31:51 PM »
 Lachica's 2nd entry : matching dresses for my daughter & granddaughter.
Fabric is cotton with a bit of poly, seersucker type with a slight crinkle. Grey, white & pink striped. Bought last year in Spain.
Pattern taken from a dress she already loves. Bodice very fitted, I made a toile & posted it to her, luckily it fitted. This was a first time doing shirring on the back, it was easier than I feared. Deep pockets added, as requested!  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

Little version, bodice again copied from one which fits. Self-lined bodice. Shirring across back. Pockets like mummy's.   [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]    [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  
Mary

toileandtrouble

« Reply #129 on: July 31, 2020, 20:53:34 PM »
Toileandtrouble's Entry

Set of face masks from different patterns for comparison on fit. All pink!  I need to organise a group photo and a list of the patterns I used for them, along with fitting comments.  Things still messy here, but should get myself together in a week.
I just found another pattern to try, but it won't be done in the competition time.  The aluminium strips I ordered were posted on Monday (they said) but have not turned up yet. The sewing is all done though and the strips are supposed to be adhesive, so can go on afterwards.
Yarn down:  1000g
Fabric down:  29m

Lachica

« Reply #130 on: July 31, 2020, 21:37:17 PM »
@BrendaP your dress is lovely. The tabs on the sleeves are a nice addition. I also like your pink hair.
Mary

Manuela

« Reply #131 on: August 01, 2020, 00:31:37 AM »
Toileandtrouble's Entry

Set of face masks from different patterns for comparison on fit. All pink!  I need to organise a group photo and a list of the patterns I used for them, along with fitting comments.  Things still messy here, but should get myself together in a week.
I just found another pattern to try, but it won't be done in the competition time.  The aluminium strips I ordered were posted on Monday (they said) but have not turned up yet. The sewing is all done though and the strips are supposed to be adhesive, so can go on afterwards.

@toileandtrouble, I put the entries into the voting thread as they appear here. Could you please put your entry post up once you have the pictures? That would save me a lot of trouble flicking back and forth true the pages here, and I don’t run the risk of forgetting or overlooking an entry.
Thank you  :)

Kenora

« Reply #132 on: August 01, 2020, 14:17:29 PM »
Kenora's Second Entry

Leopard Print Stretch Jersey Top

The pattern I used is Simplicity 8376 which is a very simple t-shirt top styled for stretch knits. The fabric is a single jersey with about 45% stretch, bought from Flamingo Fabrics. It was fairly expensive at about £17/m but the quality of the jersey is excellent.

I made a few changes to the pattern - brought the shoulder seams forward quite a bit to allow for a rounded back, narrowed the shoulders as well, straightened the side seams, and altered the curve of the neckline. I also redrafted the sleeve to something a little more comfortable for me.

I sewed all the seams with a standard sewing machine first, using the super-stretch stitch on my machine, then overlocked everything for neatness, and finished off the hems with the coverstitch.

The photos don't do the fabric justice but I love this simple little top as it makes me smile when I see the fabric.
Minding my P's & Q's in Portreath

Lachica

« Reply #133 on: August 01, 2020, 19:13:29 PM »
That's lovely @Kenora. Flamingo fabrics do have some lovely prints: I have the hummingbirds waiting for me to pluck up courage to cut it.
Mary

Manuela

« Reply #134 on: August 02, 2020, 00:45:48 AM »
Yay, so far we far we got 11 entries, please make sure yours is up by August 7th.