The Sewing Place

Fabric Ideas...

Acorn

Fabric Ideas...
« on: June 28, 2020, 13:55:05 PM »
Mr Acorn has a very old pair of trousers that he loves.  They are, however, on their last legs, and he has been trying to replace them for several years.  They're the sort that feel like wearing pyjama trousers, but look like proper trousers, so he wears them in the evening and isn't bothered about answering the door if necessary.

So, naturally, I'm thinking that I should make him a new pair.  The pattern is no problem - a combination of lounging trousers and the pattern of the originals will be fine.  The fabric, however, is difficult.  They're fairly lightweight, but heavier than, say, poplin.  Probably cotton, maybe with some poly in there.  Lighter than canvas.  Linen would be nice, but the creasing less so.

If I could go and have a good browse I could find something myself, but I'm going to have to get something online.  What do I search for?  And where?  I think Croft Mill are quite good at giving the weight of fabric, but are any others?  And does anyone have a reference for comparative weights of woven fabrics?
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Starryfish

Re: Fabric Ideas...
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2020, 14:01:07 PM »
Croftmill is very good,even has a section for trouser fabrics. Fabworks online divides cotton fabric by weight. I don't know of any others atm.
A day without sewing is a day wasted.

Acorn

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2020, 14:23:49 PM »
Thank you @Starryfish - Croft Mill had the perfect fabric, but in absolutely the wrong colour (bright emerald green), but Fabworks have a camouflage fabric that they are recommending for making scrubs, which sounds pretty good.

BrendaP

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2020, 18:56:18 PM »
Suitable for scrubs covers a multitude of fabrics.

My scrubs sewing started with very thin lightweight 80/20 poly cotton.  The next batch was much heavier, and I think about 60/40.  The next lot was the best quality (for nurses in the local GP practice), almost like the old gabardine macintoshes I wore to school, but would have been too heavy for hospital use under full PPE.  After that it went to new bedding 50/50 poly cotton and then to lightly used poly cotton sheets/duvet covers.

MyFabrics
always give the GSM of fabric.

Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Sewbusy

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2020, 22:55:26 PM »

Ploshkin

« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2020, 10:01:50 AM »
Lightweight denim?
Life's too short for ironing.

sewmuchmore

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2020, 18:42:20 PM »
@Acorn this blog has an article on fabric weights.
It's not easy being this perfekt

Janet

Acorn

« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2020, 00:21:09 AM »
Thanks @sewmuchmore   :)

Puzzler

« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2020, 11:50:39 AM »

Kwaaked

« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2020, 12:51:00 PM »
6-8 oz french twill might be a good choice, too.