The Sewing Place

Hello from Bidford on Avon

EdTheMaker

Hello from Bidford on Avon
« on: June 29, 2020, 00:03:21 AM »
Hello everyone!
I'm a 41 year old Manchild who has always loved making things, be it electronics, mechanical or crafty. I convinced my wife to buy a sewing machine a couple of months ago on the pretence of making facemasks for the extended family knowing full well I just wanted to explore a new craft... Anyway, I am now completely hooked!
I've done a few standard projects so far such as lined tote bags, zippered bags, tool roll and a kitchen apron. I must say the great thing about sewing is because it is all about making functional practical projects you really get a great high after you finish which just motivates you more to make something else.
My latest project is a casual short sleeve shirt which I am half way through a testing toile from an old bed sheet which is going OK but I think I may have a few questions about some of the trickier techniques I have been coming across(fitting sleeves, seam finishing etc.) before moving on to the real thing.
Looking forward to getting and maybe even giving some advice to others in the future.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2020, 00:10:50 AM by EdTheMaker »

fajita

Re: Hello from Bidford on Avon
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2020, 01:16:08 AM »
Welcome @EdTheMaker  :toast:

wrenkins

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2020, 06:45:58 AM »
Welcome Ed. Our boy-gang is growing.  :)
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

Iminei

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2020, 07:07:34 AM »
It is indeed ... A sudden influx of toyboys gentlemen ...

Excellent, lets see if we can lure you into the Darkside @EdTheMaker
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

sewingj

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2020, 07:51:38 AM »
Welcome @EdTheMaker   I've only recently moved to Gloucester from Binton so I know Bidford very well! Perhaps we bumped into each other in Budgens!

Looking forward to hearing more about the things you make.

UttaRetch

« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2020, 07:56:03 AM »
Welcome @EdTheMaker.  I am sure we can help you along the way, but I must warn you against the siren lure of @Iminei and going down the rabbit hole to the darkside.  0_0

Efemera

« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2020, 08:40:13 AM »
Hello there...

BrendaP

« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2020, 09:12:20 AM »
 Welcome to TSP @EdTheMaker

Sounds as though you have been making excellent progress from 'square' things like tote bag and tool roll through to a shirt in a very short time.  The good news for shirts is that the correct way to attach sleeves before the side seams are closed.  On other garments where the sleeve head is more shaped the correct way is to close the side seams and then set in the sleeve.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Greybird

« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2020, 09:13:12 AM »
Hello and welcome!

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2020, 09:18:49 AM »
Hello Ed! Looks like you're off to a good start. Your avatar mask looks very well crafted. Welcome to the group.
Hey Bill! Read the manual!  Hehehe.

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2020, 09:24:30 AM »
Good morning, and welcome from me.

I think the others have failed to tell you that we love pictures of your makes, lots of pictures  0_0

Silver Rose

« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2020, 09:36:54 AM »
Hello @EdTheMaker and welcome from me too, you seem to have got off to a good start and we love to see pics.
Still learning

Lilian

« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2020, 09:45:24 AM »
Welcome from me too @EdTheMaker  :)
Willing but not always able :)

Kenora

« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2020, 11:30:39 AM »
A warm welcome from me as well. :)
Minding my P's & Q's in Portreath

Ploshkin

« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2020, 12:08:18 PM »
Welcome @EdTheMaker we are here ready and waiting to tempt and corrupt help and advise you  :devil:
Life's too short for ironing.