The Sewing Place

Hello from Bidford on Avon

toileandtrouble

Re: Hello from Bidford on Avon
« Reply #30 on: July 01, 2020, 10:09:05 AM »
@EdTheMaker Nice shirt! I notice the top-stitching is perfect. That lifts it into another class.
fabfabricsbymaggie on ebay often has decent shirting at a sensible price, if you are interested. There are lots of others, but I have found her to be reliable. I also like fabworks, they have their own website.
I don't know about shops at your end of the country, but someone on here is bound to know.  Just post with what you are looking for and you will get lots of recommendations.  It's always nice to handle fabric before you buy, if you can.
Yarn down:  1000g
Fabric down:  29m

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #31 on: July 01, 2020, 12:00:08 PM »
Welcome to the forum.  Love the avatar.  Wish we had more people wearing masks. 
As for the shirt, well I am super impressed.  Great job.  And yes, pressing is very important.  I spend more time with an iron than I do at the sewing machine.  Something to remember......
Good pressing can make bad sewing look good.  Bad pressing can make good sewing look bad.   :)

Surest1tch

« Reply #32 on: July 01, 2020, 12:41:25 PM »
You should be very proud of yourself @EdTheMaker, it looks beautifully sewn more especially as it's your first attempt, keep it up

Lilian

« Reply #33 on: July 01, 2020, 16:14:36 PM »
Very well done @EdTheMaker that shirt is impressive! and for a first garment not one of the easier things to make!  :vintage: :)
Willing but not always able :)

realale

« Reply #34 on: July 01, 2020, 21:57:54 PM »
Welcome from Evesham!! I take it you know about the fabric and haberdashery shop in Avon Street, Evesham plus the quilting shop in Oat Street. :P Not too far to travel either. Happy sewing.
So many beers, so little time.

EdTheMaker

« Reply #35 on: July 07, 2020, 13:32:23 PM »
Welcome from Evesham!! I take it you know about the fabric and haberdashery shop in Avon Street, Evesham plus the quilting shop in Oat Street. :P Not too far to travel either. Happy sewing.

Hi, I'm originally from Stratford-upon-Avon so for some reason we normally go that way even though Evesham is about the same distance. I'll definitely check them out, thanks!

sewingj

« Reply #36 on: July 07, 2020, 13:46:36 PM »
@EdTheMaker   In case you aren`t aware - The Fabric Hut in East Green Drive, Stratford is good for sewing thread and they also have some other habberdashery.  They primarily do curtains but I found them very useful and helpful.

I was also going to point you towards Loubodu at Blackminster Business Park but they have very recently rebranded as
https://themakersmerchant.co.uk/.  I`m not sure if their shop has re-opened yet but I`ve had some lovely jersey fabric from her in the past (and there`s an excellent cafe on the site!)

EdTheMaker

« Reply #37 on: July 13, 2020, 00:07:19 AM »
OK, just to conclude this. I have now, after my test shirt, finished my first wearable shirt! The Pattern (McCalls 6044) called for a large but it did turn out a bit baggy(don't know why I didn't realize this when trying on the test shirt). Anyway this was I suppose a good thing as it's taught me that with some careful unpicking it is a pretty easy job to tailor. I bought the buttons, which are made from olive wood, and was really pleased with the overall look.

BrendaP

« Reply #38 on: July 13, 2020, 00:31:09 AM »
Wow, @EdTheMaker  that is pretty impressive.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Greybird

« Reply #39 on: July 13, 2020, 09:17:38 AM »
Showing some of us up already! Lovely shirt.

sewingj

« Reply #40 on: July 13, 2020, 10:05:01 AM »
I'm very impressed you tackled buttonholes - lots of us struggle with them.
Pattern pieces should have "finished measurements" on them which will help you work out how baggy it will be - you might find you can go down a size
« Last Edit: July 13, 2020, 11:13:13 AM by sewingj »

Ploshkin

« Reply #41 on: July 13, 2020, 10:27:51 AM »
@EdTheMaker that's one great shirt and a good fit.  You invariably have to make a few alterations to start but once you've got it completely right you have a trusted pattern that you can just pick up and use.  Isn't it great to be able to use the fabric you want and not be restricted to plain, stripes or checks.
Life's too short for ironing.

Ellabella

« Reply #42 on: July 13, 2020, 13:45:58 PM »
@EdTheMaker that is one impressive shirt.

It’s lovely fabric my husband would love it. Can I ask where was it from?

EdTheMaker

« Reply #43 on: July 13, 2020, 14:01:12 PM »
@EdTheMaker that is one impressive shirt.

It’s lovely fabric my husband would love it. Can I ask where was it from?

Thanks, I go the fabric and buttons from ebay and both were dispatched quite quickly, I've got a feeling I'm not allowed to post links here but if you google the following for the fabric:

Sky Blue Hawaiian Palm Tree & Pineapple Printed 100% Cotton Poplin Fabric

And if interested in the italian olive wood buttons which are really nicely made, Google:

10 X FLAT WOODEN NATURAL ITALIAN OLIVE BUTTONS

Silver Rose

« Reply #44 on: July 13, 2020, 14:23:35 PM »
Great shirt, well done, love the fabric.
Still learning