The Sewing Place

Culottes / Divided Skirt

Flobear

Culottes / Divided Skirt
« on: June 29, 2020, 17:28:08 PM »
I wonder if any kind TSPer knows of a pattern, or could suggest which companies might have such patterns.

My sis-in-Dorset wants to make culottes but can only find designs that look like wide-legged trousers whereas she wants it/them to look like a skirt. She's in the 18-20 (UK) dress size range and the only pattern I have is old size 12 (which would be about 8 - 10 these days) from when I was a skinny-ish thing so I don't really know why I've still got it!
« Last Edit: June 29, 2020, 17:30:10 PM by Flobear »
Proud new owner of Elvistoo !!

Ohsewsimple

Re: Culottes / Divided Skirt
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2020, 18:00:37 PM »
@Flobear funnily enough I’d been searching for exactly that for a couple of weeks. 
I came across these which seem to be very popular.  There are several pattern hacks for them too on her site. 
https://helensclosetpatterns.com/product/winslow-culottes/

But this one looks the closest to a skirt in my opinion.  I think it takes a lot of fabric but has a pleat at front and back which gives the real skirt appearance. 
https://megannielsen.com/products/tania-culottes-sewing-pattern
And there is a pattern hack I came across for elastic parted waistband
https://blog.megannielsen.com/2017/09/elastic-waist-back-side-seam-pockets-tania-culottes-tutorial/

Another one
https://oliverands.com/shop/digital-girl-friday-culottes-sewing-pattern.html

In the end I made my own using my trouser crutch and drafting from there.  A nice soft drapey fabric works well. 

sewingj

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2020, 18:03:58 PM »
I got as far as "divided skirt" and could only think of hockey on a freezing cold field in 1972

Flobear

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2020, 18:06:52 PM »
Gosh, that's a prompt reply @Ohsewsimple , how kind of you to post those links.

My old pattern has a pleat at the front and back and look exactly like a skirt. People were often surprised when I lifted up my leg and show them the culotteness!! Shows how old it is when I say that I made a pair in a dark mustardy colour and a sort of reddish-brown - wot was fashnerble colours at the time and do not suit me in the least!

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2020, 18:26:40 PM »
Ooh @Flobear you already have a pattern which could be ideal.  I know it’s not the right size but that’s not a problem.  I can help with that if you’re interested. 

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2020, 18:33:05 PM »
Culottes to me look like a skirt, surely that's the point of them?  I used to love wearing them, and had midi length and above the knee/shorts length.  They were just so practical.  Sorry, I can't help with a pattern though.

Flobear

« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2020, 19:25:54 PM »
Thank-you @Ohsewsimple I will bear that in mind.

UttaRetch

« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2020, 20:18:20 PM »
My sis-in-Dorset wants to make culottes but can only find designs that look like wide-legged trousers whereas she wants it/them to look like a skirt.

Back in the 80's, I had a lovely pair of grey culottes from M&S that looked just like these

and I imagine this is what your sister-in-law wants.

UttaRetch

« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2020, 20:30:28 PM »
Found this

and it can be bought here.

Flobear

« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2020, 21:13:17 PM »
Oh, great sleuthing @UttaRetch , thank you for that. I think that looks just job. :thumbsup:

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2020, 22:15:57 PM »
Good find.  It’s the pleats at centre front and centre back that make it look like a skirt. 

Flobear

« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2020, 09:04:43 AM »
Funny that it seems to be only available from Australia .

It's very similar to the one I have so will save faffing about resizing.

UttaRetch

« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2020, 10:01:07 AM »
See here for Burda pdf culotte patterns.  Unfortunately, I don't see any line drawings and maybe none of them is quite what you wanted.

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2020, 10:19:01 AM »
The Tania culottes have the cf and cb pleats the same.
Annoyingly there is no line drawings on the Burda site.  There used to be lots more info.   Not sure I’d want to buy if I didn’t really know what I was getting.   -<

UttaRetch

« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2020, 10:28:51 AM »
The Tania is a good looking pattern and this blogger made a great version.  It is also available as a pdf.