The Sewing Place

Does anyone spin

Celia

Does anyone spin
« on: June 30, 2020, 14:51:28 PM »
I am thinking of taking up spinning again and would love some advise re spinning wheels etc or even just some encouragement.

I learnt on an Ashford traditional many years ago but have not spun in nearly 30 years

Efemera

Re: Does anyone spin
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2020, 15:25:58 PM »
... gosh for minute I thought you meant this kind of spinning!

Celia

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2020, 15:47:09 PM »
@Efemera 
Love it

Not my style maybe I need to rename this thread or maybe not :devil:

BriarRose

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2020, 14:50:47 PM »
Don't need to rename it for my sake! Stationary bicycles never entered my mind.  ;) I've not done much spinning, and what I did was with a drop spindle, but thought I'd drop in to encourage you. Go for it! :thumbsup:
It's just fabric. We can out-think it.

Celia

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2020, 16:56:26 PM »
@BriarRose  thank you your message is very apt as it is now on order.  Looking forward to spinning again

BlueCat

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2020, 17:39:41 PM »
A friendly helpful Fb page is Weaving and Spinning for beginners is a good starting point. I am sure there plenty others.

Celia

« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2020, 23:11:50 PM »
Thankyou @BlueCat unfortunately I don’t do Facebook but I am beginning to think I might need to rethink.

Ploshkin

« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2020, 11:07:33 AM »
I will be interested to see how you get on @Celia   it's funny because I knit loads, I've always been fascinated by weaving and would love to do it but have absolutely no inclination whatsoever to spin.
I have just one hand knitted garment (a waistcoat) that i made from our own wool.  We had a sheep that I think was a Shetland cross and her fleece was lovely and fine. A work colleague's mother spun it for me. The wool from mountain sheep, which ours are, is much too coarse for anything but carpets.
Life's too short for ironing.