Beyond the Festival of Quilts

Deafoldbat

Beyond the Festival of Quilts
« on: July 02, 2020, 19:25:48 PM »

Iminei

Re: Beyond the Festival of Quilts
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2020, 10:26:09 AM »
GAH! Virtual Quilt Competition My A***

Everybody here who has ever made and tried to photograph a quilt will know exactly how difficult it is to
A) find a space that is big enough to get the whole thing in,
B) get the quilting to show
C) take a pic that doesnt have the ever present errant thread full front and centre no matter how many lint rollers you've run over it...

All that's going to happen is  .... the usual suspects; Yep ... the ones who win every year without fail, the people who have  studio space and or can afford a professional photographer will get their quilts entered.

I know they're trying to keep the ball rolling and the mullah coming in ... virtual workshops ... Please check if I have already covered the  workshop you are about to shell out on in the BOM somewhere ...

Im thinking the 'Doublecat' block AKA  April 2018 BOM which they had the audacity to charge £45 for in 2018 !!!
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Lowena

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2020, 10:39:48 AM »
It's always the quasi professionals who won these things.
Triumph of hope over experience :D

BrendaP

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2020, 10:40:20 AM »
There are a couple of classes which sound interesting, but £15 for a zoom class.  I'd rather spend the £15 on a decent book on the subject.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Iminei

« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2020, 10:44:47 AM »
It's always the quasi professionals who won these things.

Its all they do ... all day/every day ...

Does anybody know who the .... Thin as a stick and twice as sour as lemons woman of a great age who parades up and down the aisles at festival on her mobility scooter shouting at peeps who dare to get up close to the quilts is ???
Shes a regular fixture and is known for putting the fear of God into hapless admiring bystanders.

She looks like the Skinny Sister of Seymour Skinners mother ??!!!
« Last Edit: July 03, 2020, 11:51:53 AM by Iminei »
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Lowena

« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2020, 11:36:45 AM »
I've seem her....awful woman 

StitchinTime

« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2020, 12:08:31 PM »
When I read about the virtual quilt competition, my first thought was that you would be judged more on your photography skills than your quilting skills. The only category that might be suitable for a virtual competition is the one for miniature quilts.

Acorn

« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2020, 12:52:49 PM »
It did vaguely occur to me* that we could have our own celebration of quilts on here - just post a pic a day of a quilt you have made, and we will feast our eyes on them.

*(I said nothing because someone might then have then said, 'Great idea, you organise it...'  :| )
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Lowena

« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2020, 13:18:25 PM »
Funnily enough @Acorn I was thinking much the same thing. On FB it brought up a photo of a quilt I made 2 or 3 years ago and I didn't recognise it at first.....I'd forgotten all about it! :|
I'd love to see photos of people's quilts. An exhibition always she is the imagination and provides ideas.
Looking at @Deafoldbat s was a lovely experience.
I can't organise anything though as I'm rubbish with photos, displays an IT  ;) :ninja: