The Sewing Place

Vogue US

classical retro

Vogue US
« on: July 03, 2020, 20:51:50 PM »
Patterns are $5 McCalls, Butterick, Kwik Sew included till 6th July.
https://mccall.com/vogue-patterns/
Last time I ordered, 3 were $15 postage, I've never had to pay any customs duties.

CR :angel:
« Last Edit: July 03, 2020, 21:08:12 PM by classical retro »

mudcat

Re: Vogue US
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2020, 00:56:19 AM »
It's pretty sad. Even at $5 there was nothing I wanted to buy.

UttaRetch

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2020, 08:20:23 AM »
I used to buy mostly Vogues and switched to only buying in the sales, but I am a winter person and none of the current issue interests me.

Gernella

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2020, 09:39:04 AM »
I've just received my 'free' Sew Today magazine and there is nothing in it I really fancy.  It seems to be nearly all made for young willowy bodies, which I am not.

Although I have to say that in another life I used to scan the pattern magazines and the majority of patterns seemed more suitable for old ladies.  I seem to have moved on a bit (a lot).
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

Catllar

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2020, 13:11:03 PM »
Another beautifully finished Vogue sample. I had to zoom in to look at the darts, I thought they were a design feature!https://mccall.com/vogue-patterns/new-sewing-patterns/summer/#&gid=1&pid=6
If life gives you lemons, add to gin and tonic !

UttaRetch

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2020, 13:25:18 PM »
@Catllar, which one?

Kwaaked

« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2020, 20:40:00 PM »
I forgot about the sale, but the only thing I was going to buy was the cold elbow jacket.  In the US Butterick and McCall is still cheaper at JoAnn (and the shipping makes the Vogue one cheaper, too).

Tamnymore

« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2020, 21:26:18 PM »
Ummm errr - I did indulge in the recent Vogue sale. I'm still a member so $4.99 each was $3.99 each with the 20% reduction. At $3.99 each, 5 patterns were still well under £18 in value so this should be OK for avoiding customs charges. The postage to the UK has gone up a lot and is now $25 for purchases of under $25. My total purchase worked out at £37.50 - that's £7.50 per pattern so less than half price - I chose a mixture of summer and winter patterns.

I don't think buying patterns from the US site will be cost effective in future as they don't usually reduce patterns as much as this and the postage has gone up so much (it used to be $15 for 3 patterns but no longer). Apart from some of the Sewing Bee patterns, half price sales on the UK site seem to be a thing of the past, at least for now. Still, I'm not short of patterns so I can keep going for a few years at least.  0_0
'One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art.' Oscar Wilde

Kwaaked

« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2020, 21:58:44 PM »
I think in the US they are trying to raise prices to about the 80s equivalent.  We've just got 30 years of 99 cent and 1.99 sales.  I started sewing on these sales, and while my mom sewed and I know patterns weren't always this cheap, I have never had to pay more then a few dollars the entire time I HAVE sewed.

Even Club BMV didn't save me money, it was just less hassle going an hour away to get patterns.