The Sewing Place

I'm venturing over to the dark side!

elisep

I'm venturing over to the dark side!
« on: July 04, 2020, 06:17:49 AM »
Don't tell anyone!  0_0

I've decided to make a quilt for a friend who's having a baby boy. I've purchased this pattern which I'll do in a blue, green and grey colourway.

I didn't realise when I bought it that it's a paper pieced quilt. I've never done one of these before (and have only made 2 quilts before, total) I've done some googling, but would love all of your opinions, as to whether it is worth the expense of buying special foundation paper? I did read a website which said regular printer paper is fine, but I'd really love your opinions on, whether for a beginner quilter, I am better off buying the foundation paper?

Also, The quilts I made in the past I just quilted lines following the blocks on the front. I'd like to try some sort of pattern, but I don't want to try free motion quilting. I've seen you can get quilting templates - would anyone recommend doing this? And any ideas what sort of pattern would suit this type of quilt (and for a baby boy?)

Thanks in advance!
Stash Busting 2023
Used: 4 metres

Iminei

Re: I'm venturing over to the dark side!
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2020, 06:36:40 AM »
Well Hello EliseP and welcome to the Darkside  :devil:

I too am surprised that this has been made into a paper pieced pattern as it is fairly straightforward but I suppose, if you get on with PP it will be bombproof.

You can buy specific foundation paper for this job but if you can get hold of children's drawing paper, low grade, lowgsm paper, construction paper ? or even tracing paper they too will work well for this ... all should be available from the local £ store.

Failing tracing paper, which I have used before a small light box would be invaluable.

Whatever you choose, try it out before committing yourself ... ie one or two blocks and a stitch length of no more the 1.5 to see if A) you like the technique and B) the ripping out of the papers works well.

As for quilting I would leave that until the quilt is made as often when you work on a quilt, how to quilt it just comes to you, it evolves along with the quilt ... cant really explain any better than that.

For me, with that pattern I would use a wide serpentine stitch along the line of the chevrons ...... or just follow the middle of them .... something like the design used on the hundred shades quilt ...

Theres a wealth of help here in TSP, and lots of Darkside Tutorials

Good Luck!
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Pearl

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2020, 08:25:46 AM »
Don't tell anyone!  0_0

But won’t they wonder where you’ve gone?  You do know our strap line?  You can check out any time you like but you can never leave.. Oh well, too late now.   :D

I usually use normal printer paper for FPP but I do have some of the drawing paper that Iminei mentioned.  I bought it at the pound shop.

Looking forward to seeing your quilt.

Efemera

« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2020, 08:49:44 AM »
Cheap printer paper is fine... use a small stitch, makes ripping the paper off easier.

StitchinTime

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2020, 09:07:33 AM »
Someone on here (sorry, I can’t remember who) pointed us in the direction of Ryman’s who have 45 gsm paper.
https://www.ryman.co.uk/ryman-bank-typing-paper-a4-45gsm-100-sheets

“Normal” printer paper size 80 gsm, so this is quite a bit thinner. You might have to try various settings on your printer, but most will be OK with it (mine only likes it in the main paper tray and chews it up if I try the manual feed tray).

Acorn

« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2020, 09:40:44 AM »
I use this, which is 50gsm, for printing out pdf patterns (makes them less bulky to store).  It's quite a bit cheaper than Ryman's because it's a ream (500 pages).
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Lowena

« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2020, 11:09:39 AM »
I can offer no advice as I regard FPP as the work of  :devil: despite @Stitches trying to initiate me.
Welcome for life to The Darkside, just don't eat all the garibaldis and you'll be fine  <3
Triumph of hope over experience :D

maliw

« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2020, 12:01:49 PM »
Another victim recruit yaaaaaaah.
Hello and welcome to the darkside. Nice pattern I haven't tried FPP so I won't be any help to you. Enjoy.
At leisure on the leisure penninsula

Gernella

« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2020, 21:59:31 PM »
Are you nuts, they'll never let you get out once they've got you. :devil:

And that's after a large brandy so must be true.
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

Lowena

« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2020, 22:22:27 PM »
Shhh...@Gernella don't let on, we need more captives recruits  :devil:

Ellabella

« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2020, 22:24:34 PM »
That’s where I’m going wrong with quilting, I don’t like Garibaldis :facepalm:

Lowena

« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2020, 22:27:02 PM »
Hush your mouth @Ellabella how can you not like the king of biscuits???!!!???

Kenora

« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2020, 10:45:02 AM »
I hate Garibaldi's too but I love doing FPP. I've always used ordinary, cheap printer paper and had no problems. :)
Minding my P's & Q's in Portreath

Iminei

« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2020, 10:47:32 AM »
Has anyone seen EliseP since she posted this thread???

I do hope she hasnt gone wandering off down the corridors and got lost ....  :devil:
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

elisep

« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2020, 14:05:43 PM »
I'm here! I'm here! I ventured into a room called "Face Masks" and have only just managed to get out  :o

In all seriousness, I did get caught up making masks as the state I live in made them mandatory a few weeks ago. Made around 100 since then  :o and sold 60-65 of them. Also, I think I forgot to check the button to get notified of replies to this thread, so I had no idea anyone had posted :(
So this quilt has been on the back-burner for a while. Now that I've got a bit of a "stash" of masks to sell, I've started earnest work on it. Last weekend I spent cutting (and after cutting 420 pieces of white sashing, needed a big glass of wine  :S not the most fun job).
Started my sewing tonight. I am just going with printer paper, as I left it much too late to go and find some lighter gsm paper in store, and now my city is in full lockdown, not allowed any further than 5km from home. I could order it online, but I really want to get cracking with the sewing... so printer paper it is!

So far it's going quite well. The FPP method seems to appeal to my ordered, perfectionist side. We'll see how I feel once it comes time to match up all those points. Wish I'd thought about that when I chose the pattern!

Here's my colour scheme, for those interested;

Stash Busting 2023
Used: 4 metres