The Sewing Place

Threads Magazine

Tiggy

Threads Magazine
« on: July 04, 2020, 08:29:31 AM »
I have an ‘insider’ subscription to the Threads website, and love it.  But, I do love keeping copies of articles to refer to.  I found and article about making trouser legs fit better at the back so I hit ‘Print’.  Then I found a couple more relevant and interesting articles.  It has occurred to me that it is probably cheaper to buy the hard copy magazine rather than keep printing, so how do you buy it?  I’ve tried taking advantage of the Subscription Offers I keep getting emails about, but they aren’t available in the UK.
Pfaff Creative 4.5 ,  Babylock Gloria
Janome 3800QE

UttaRetch

Re: Threads Magazine
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2020, 08:36:39 AM »
I have a big WH Smith's in my local town centre and Threads appear on the shelves.  If you cannot place an order, then subscription is the way forward.

sleepingwolf

« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2020, 09:45:53 AM »
If it's the cost of printing that is the issue you could try using a virtual printer to save the article to your computer.  Windows has one called Microsoft Print to PDF that I use a lot for saving online invoices and other items that I used to print out.  All you have to do is select the virtual printer rather than your actual printer and press PRINT.  You'll be asked to select a file name and a location to save the document to.  If I remember rightly the actual magazine doesn't contain all the articles that are available on Threads Insider so that might be a issue too.

Tiggy

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2020, 10:14:22 AM »
Thank you all.  I won’t bother, because the next available issue is NOVEMBER!   Lol. But I will try the virtual printer, thanks for that.   :thumbsup:
Pfaff Creative 4.5 ,  Babylock Gloria
Janome 3800QE

Elnnina

« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2020, 10:36:05 AM »
Tiggy I get my copy of Threads from a newsagent in a small  village - I am the only one who has this from them.  Mind you I know when it is about to be due and always give them a call to remind them to be on the lookout and so far have had no problems in getting this.  Whilst there are places like bigger towns and our county town I do not often go anywhere near to be able to go and pick up off a shelf, and in fact WHSmith's in High Wycombe said they had never heard of this magazine.  If you go down the line of getting this from a newsagent, we seem to get this magazine approximately three weeks after it has gone on sale in the USA.  I received my last copy  which was No.209 on 18th June 2020.  The previous one was 208 and I received on 25th April 2020 if that helps.

A year or so back now I decided I would like to buy the Threads Archive 1985 - 2015  (covers issues 1 - 182) as I only had  about half of the ones they had issued and there were references to previous copies where an article had been published.  Wow what an absolute treasure trove, it is permanently loaded on my laptop and I can dip in and out as much as I like, and yes you can even print off the articles if you want to.  I am pretty sure there must be a new edition of these Archives out or out soon.  At the time I believe I bought mine either through Amazon or Book Depository.  By the way the whole magazine is featured on the Archive disc including all the adverts so I think excellent value for money - I cannot recall exactly how much I paid but it was heavily reduced - maybe because they knew a newer more up to date version was waiting in the wings.

Helen M

« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2020, 11:15:16 AM »
Thank you all.  I won’t bother, because the next available issue is NOVEMBER!   Lol. But I will try the virtual printer, thanks for that.   :thumbsup:

That issue will come out in September @Tiggy they are always dated 2 months in advance. I had a subscription for a few years as a present from O/H but stopped it as I found there wasn't much that interested me.

I'd love to have some of the earlier ones. My friend in the US had a whole pile so I spent a few hours looking through them one Saturday on a visit with her while she watched the football game! I tried to get the Archive, on I think a USB, but because of European protection (I can't quite recall the exact wording) they couldn't sell it too me. I was thinking that when we are able to visit again I should get my friend to order one for me. I'll wait for the exchange rate to improve though!
Stash Busting 2024 - Goal: 25 metres
So far:  1.5 metres  ------ Donated : 0 metres
Items decluttered: 55

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2020, 12:03:03 PM »
I have a subscription and have had for years.  I found it cheaper and it’s always on my doorstep ready.  It’s very rare for me to see it in any shops near me.

Sewingsue

« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2020, 11:32:09 AM »
Just had my renewal reminder for Threads.
I am going to continue, but I also keep getting their emails about Digital/Insider subscription.

Does anyone have this and is it worth having please?
Bernina Aurora 440QE, Brother BC-2500, Singer 99K (1938), Juki MO-654DE overlocker, Silver Viscount 620D overlocker.

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2020, 12:35:56 PM »
I am an Insider and it does give you access to articles and videos not available otherwise.  I probably don’t use it as much as I should but I will keep it going because there is often something I like to look at.

Elnnina

« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2021, 11:58:23 AM »
I received my latest copy of Threads magazine yesterday, and oh there are a few changes.  This particular issue is no. 213 and Spring 2021 issue, and the new price is £8.99 (I have my issue saved at a local newsagent in a neighbouring village).  So in reading the introductory letter from the Editor Threads have taken the decision to change their format after 35 years.  Partly due to the pandemic and the expense of printing and  distribution they are changing from a bi- monthly magazine to a quarterly one, and thus this will be February, May, August and November.  They are also adding 8 pages to the magazine so there will be more content.

Of course my husband who collected this yesterday started moaning about the price hike, but I do enjoy reading and trying out a lot of the hints ant tips given, and after all the UK market in sewing magazines is rather dire.  I am happy to continue.

Now a long time ago  I mentioned that I had bought the Threads  Magazine Archive and thus was able to access all the issues that I didn’t have.  I knew it was about time that they updated this system, and in the back of the current magazine there is an update, the new  Archive covers the years  1985-2020 BUT it is only available from TauntonStore.com and on a  USB stick.  My DVD allows me to have this permanently on my desk top, and I can also print off any article I like – especially useful when trying to follow instructions on altering a pattern step by step.

They have also gone into detail  on how people who have a subscription how this will now work with the new system of quarterly issues.

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2021, 12:47:42 PM »
Haven’t looked at mine yet so that’s interesting to know @Elnnina
Over the years the page numbers have dropped a lot.  My earlier ones are definitely bigger! 

sewmuchmore

« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2021, 17:58:02 PM »
I have a subscription via Newsstand but haven't had the spring issue yet so will be interested how they are dealing with subscriptions paid in advance.
It's not easy being this perfekt

Janet

Elnnina

« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2021, 20:43:24 PM »
Sewmuchmore how they are dealing with subscriptions is all explained in the Editors letter, so I will leave it to you to read when your magazine arrives, far better than my trying to copy type this and possibly get it wrong.

There is the most gorgeous red evening gown on page 41, this was an entry into some competition, I just love that colour red, and what the contestant has done to fit in with the brief - the dress is so elegant and it suits the model as well.