The Sewing Place

Metallic thread

Ohsewsimple

Acorn

Re: Metallic thread
« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2020, 13:58:56 PM »
Ooh thank you @Ohsewsimple - there is a Brother yellow thread that I have never managed to match, and I can see it on there. 

Shopping time!    :D
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

KayK

« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2020, 19:57:25 PM »
Another vote for Kingstar threads, to be used on a stand away from the machine.  I use plain bobbin thread, a metallic needle (noticeably larger eye) and a lower tension.  I used to have a Brother V5 machine, but now use it for free motion embroidery, and have never, ever had a single snappage!
I have learnt by my mistakes: Sewing machines now are Bernina 720, Bernina 1008, Bernina 801 from 1981, Brother overlocker, ancient but works well

Sara-S

« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2020, 22:52:15 PM »
I just made a batch of FSL ornaments with Brothreads metallic thread. I am getting good results so far. It helped that I also figured out a couple of things to reduce problems.  One was to keep a spool net on it, while it's on the machine.  The other was to keep it from coming loose from one part of the threading track. It goes under a lip but tends not to stay there. So I taped a little piece of plastic behind it, so the thread can't escape.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2020, 12:40:38 PM by Sara-S »
You can't scare me. I taught high school for 32 years.