The Sewing Place

Metallic thread

Sara-S

Metallic thread
« on: July 04, 2020, 18:33:48 PM »
Since acquiring the embroidery machine, I have gotten curious about using metallic thread.  I imagine it looks great but I could use some advice about how to work with it. Anything you can tell me is appreciated.
You can't scare me. I taught high school for 32 years.

Lachica

Re: Metallic thread
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2020, 19:05:04 PM »
Use a 'metallic' needle, it has a bigger eye to avoid rubbing through the thread. Reduce the tension a bit. My machine likes the Madeira thread but I also have a cheap multipack of metallic threads, some colours work fine, others kept snapping so I chucked them.
Mary
2020 stash: not gonna count, not gonna feel guilty.

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2020, 19:57:47 PM »
The one that people say is the best is Kingstar.  I've not used it myself, but I keep meaning to try some.
As Lachica said, it's recommended to use a metallic needle.

Vezelay

« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2020, 21:27:50 PM »
Another one here who replaced rubbish plasticky cheapos with Madeira. I used sew-all thread in the bobbin but some I've seen thinner polyester thread recommended. I found it feeds better off a spare spool holder - even bought one specially and occasionally this comes in handy for other things. Stitch length is normally a bit longer. It's a while since I've sewn with it but I seem to remember I had to hold onto the threads firmly when starting to sew, or else! As the others said a metallic needle is a must and lower tension.

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2020, 22:26:06 PM »
I have several reels of Kingstar and it doesn’t give me problems.  But I use others too.

Iminei

« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2020, 08:06:59 AM »
Slow your machines speed down too.
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

wrenkins

« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2020, 08:59:30 AM »
If you don't do any of those things, because you know no better, you will end up with a very tight mess on both sides of your work and it will be impossible to unpick. Don't ask how I know. And yes I did use Madeira.  :(
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

Sara-S

« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2020, 12:51:35 PM »
Thanks for the advice. I ordered a spool of Madeira gold & some suitable needles. Once I get them, I will do some test sewing.

Iminei

« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2020, 16:46:08 PM »
Kingstar are wonderful and ... Whispers ... offer a free promotional pack of thread stabilizers and bobbins etc ... but dont know if they ship to the States!
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Sara-S

« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2020, 18:35:54 PM »
I will check into that one @Iminei   

Update- I have found some US sites that sell it.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2020, 19:09:05 PM by Sara-S »

Sara-S

« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2020, 20:16:56 PM »
Another question occurs to me. If I am doing an embroidery that uses both metallic and non-metallic thread , can I use the metallic-thread needle for both?

Sara-S

« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2020, 00:28:29 AM »
Here’s my first successful test. Took 2 tries and one broken needle, but I got it to work.

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

Sara-S

« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2020, 11:59:14 AM »
The Madeira gold is making me crazy today. I am using the right needle & tension.  But it's constantly breaking & tangling.

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2020, 12:19:28 PM »
Not a fan  of Madeira metallics.  Brother ones usually run better.  Or Kingstar Metallics

Acorn

« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2020, 12:34:29 PM »
I definitely had a problem with metallics last Christmas, and I think they must have been Madeira.  I seem to remember that I ended up using a different type of needle (not a metallics or embroidery needle) - one with a larger eye, but I cannot remember what it was.  Topstitch maybe?

I will look for Brother threads - thanks @Ohsewsimple - I have liked them very much when I've used other Brother embroidery threads, but don't tend to see them around.
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.