The Sewing Place

I need a new hobby so dark side here I come

Celia

Re: I need a new hobby so dark side here I come
« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2020, 17:21:09 PM »
I hate Jelly rolls with pinked edges, they shed little bits everywhere, anyone who knows me know I only wear Black bottoms so you can imagine what I look like.

Not sure if thee is enough contrast?  Does everyone cut out all their blocks before they start or what?

Pearl

« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2020, 17:29:48 PM »
I've just realised that now that the nearby IKEA has closed down, I won't be able to get lint rollers so easily.

I like your blocks.  Very subtle.  I cut a bit, sew a bit.  I have the attention span of a gnat.

Sheilago

« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2020, 18:10:51 PM »
@Celia, you can cut all the blocks out first or cut as you go. We’re quite a flexible bunch on the dark side:it’s personal preference. I tend to cut as I go, as I like to see the quilt develop and choose what I want to put in next, but that’s because I like doing scrappy quilts. I suppose if you’re using a stricter colour scheme, the risk is you might run out of certain fabrics,  if you cut as as you go and  you wouldn’t know until later in the project.

I think you have enough contrast, if most of the blocks are going to be similarly light. Sometimes if you have some strong coloured blocks mixed in, the paler ones can look washed out.

Lowena

« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2020, 18:13:51 PM »
I cut and sew each block. Cutting non stop would drive me demented.
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Celia

« Reply #19 on: July 06, 2020, 19:11:58 PM »
I am so glad to hear that, I don’t think I could cope with cutting all the pieces at once.  I hope someone has the quilting police still locked up.

Acorn

« Reply #20 on: July 06, 2020, 19:34:08 PM »
Yep.  Still in the field shelter, and the nettles are growing up.
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Iminei

« Reply #21 on: July 06, 2020, 19:45:51 PM »
Does everyone cut out all their blocks before they start or what?

NOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!  :scream:

If you do that you will have a mountain of cut pieces that immediately start to fray and a feeling of being overwhelmed!

Cut ONE block .. piece it, see if you like it, then cut another one or two ... just as many as you can sew at a time.

The only caveat here would be if you had fabric for an entire quilt and needed to cut lengths for borders.
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Celia

« Reply #22 on: July 06, 2020, 20:17:36 PM »
Yep.  Still in the field shelter, and the nettles are growing up.

Good to hear

Lowena

« Reply #23 on: July 06, 2020, 20:27:02 PM »
@Iminei I notice you keep mentioning fraying...my fabrics never fray.Whatever do you do to yours  :D

Iminei

« Reply #24 on: July 06, 2020, 20:27:56 PM »
@Lowena  .. your fabrics wouldn't dare!
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Lowena

« Reply #25 on: July 06, 2020, 20:28:54 PM »
:D :D : :D

wrenkins

« Reply #26 on: July 06, 2020, 22:13:11 PM »
I'm a bit of a shambles and I mix and match. I am finding with the BOM though that I keep having to fish out my fabrics and hunt through them. I don't think I'm liking that very much even though they are in a lil bag.
The other project that I have on the go I cut most of it and have now sewed that so it's time for another cutting session and I'll finish it all this time hopefully.
I think you're getting the idea by now that you can do whatever you like!  0_0
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

steve_h

« Reply #27 on: July 18, 2020, 16:41:37 PM »
I have done only one quilt so far. It's about 40 by 50 inches and for my new grandson.
Made from 2 jelly rolls, one a bright kids print and the other blue shades and prints.
It looks great. Top is done. I will have to see if I can get a pic up once I have it finished.

I cut all of the pieces before starting, laid out how I wanted them in each block and then stacked the whole thing so I could just pull off the pieces in order for each block. It worked well for me this time. Just a simple rail fence quilt. I suspect that as I do more complicated stuff that actually requires a pattern and different sizes of pieces, I will probably opt for a more block by block type approach. It could get really confusing very quickly having 7 or 8 piles of different sized, different colored pieces and enough for a complete quilt stacked up at one time.

You've got some great prints there. As others have said, i think the print will be lost when cut into strips and would probably go with a pattern containing larger blocks to really show off those great prints.

Good luck. If I can do it, anybody can. Just take your time. Follow your pattern and everything will be fine.

Please keep us posted on how it's going.

PS...It's easy to hide all but the most glaring mistakes in most quilts and still have them look great.

BrendaP

« Reply #28 on: July 18, 2020, 17:39:26 PM »
If I'm planning a BIG quilt I do like to cut all the pieces first - and make sure I have enough plastic boxes for each size patch.  I am definitely in the scrappy, the more fabrics the better camp but the fabrics do have to be the right colours.  Cutting everything first gets a better distribution of the individual fabrics - unless you want it to look like a series of not quite matched blocks.

If I'm doing something smaller such as a cusion cover then it just evolves as I go.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.