The Sewing Place

The Emperor's New Clothes or a Dogs Dinner???

Iminei

The Emperor's New Clothes or a Dogs Dinner???
« on: July 07, 2020, 09:54:37 AM »
The last couple of days I have been wrestling with making Elvistoo a new cover ...

I find it frankly shocking that such expensive machines, as the Brother Innovis range are, are sold with the cheapest, nastiest, illfittingest plasticky piece of c*** for a cover ... hereafter ever known as Elvistoos bodybag and have long wanted to make a new cover for both my Elvis's ...

My first Elvis had an attached embroidery carriage which made the shape of any cover much more problematic; if I recall correctly @twopence  and @Elnnina  brashly offered to come up with a design for me ... thankfully it didnt happen and I traded Elvis in for his much bigger brother Elvistoo whose embroidery carriage was detachable making it a much more regular shape to fit.

There was a woman on FB recently who, after selling patterns for a cover for the V3, had decided in her magnanimity to allow those who had previously purchased them from her to redistribute the pattern freely. I got hold of one of these in the form of  email pics and filed them away ready for the day .... which suddenly arrived on Saturday!

I printed all the info out and the lovely @Puzzler and I sat down to try and work them out.
Most of the destruction were pics of a booklet which the lady who sent it to me hadn't bothered to unstaple so the writing was on the wonk and quite frankly I was pleased that Puzzler was with me because it was one almighty riddle.

I think it transpired that there were two separate patterns involved as pieces such as G and H weren't shown in any pics and although A and B were pertaining to the main body of the machine in the text the pics showing pieces A and B related to the embroidery carriage.

Long story short we ditched the destructions which proved to be a complete waste or ink, time and paper and worked from that Great British Childhood staple, A cornflakes packet (or two) ...

I drew round both ends of Elvistoo and we set about making a pattern from there. As we worked I realised this was no 5 minute job so my plans to make a practice one (to be donated to a V3 owner at the finish) turned into this was the Real Deal!

What a Faff !!!!! probably, no definitely all of my own making as I really dont understand how to sew 3D ... hence I'm just a lowly Darksider.

Puzzler taught me about clipping into the straight fabric to go round the curves and when I said I thought I would like to wad and quilt it very wisely left me to it.

Sunday was spent quilting, quilting, quilting ... I was only going round the (bloody doors) outline of the pattern, nothing fancy, schmancy but on Monday I was still quilting.

I should have given up ...  but around midday there I was sewing curved pieces to straight or straight pieces to curved I misremember which way round I did it, probably a bit of both ... I know I started from the middle and worked out (can I hear lightsiders howling with laughter from here ??) and used a loooong stitch length just in case I had to use Jack.

Anyway it fit! in fact it was too loose ... so I started again, normal stitch length and at least a quarter inch inside my sewn line ... It still fitted so that was good but now the problem was evening up the edge/hem ????

I pinned and swore and bled for hours it seemed until I had something that resembled straightish lines around the edges ... but My God... the mess inside.

I thought and thought on how I could possibly tidy up the inside seams to no avail ... There wasn't enough fabric to turn the seams over/under?? so I decided to leave them as they were.  The hem was a similar disaster and the only solution I could come up with was to sew a ribbon around the inside covering the mess underneath.

Still by the end of play on Monday Elvistoo had a proper (although very UnElvislike) well fitting cover (if no one looks too closely) ... but what of a cover for the embroidery carriage??? God, I'm sorry I haven't the strength!

Galloping horses are available on the right peeps, if you want to take a look at The Kings new jumpsuit!

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Puzzler

Re: The Emperor's New Clothes or a Dogs Dinner???
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2020, 10:08:58 AM »
You did a magnificent job so definitely not a Dog's Dinner. I can't believe you quilted around all those blinking trees!! :faints:

Iminei

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2020, 10:17:46 AM »
Yes .... every bleeding one  :angry:  but I drew a line at the birdies!

Lilian

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2020, 10:40:13 AM »
It's lovely @Iminei all that hard work paid off  :) :vintage:
Willing but not always able :)

Stitches

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2020, 10:41:05 AM »
You did a great  job  :thumbsup:

Iminei

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2020, 10:48:08 AM »
Yes Girls, It is lovely  .... that is until you look inside!  :S

Still Hes much better protected now!

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2020, 11:55:34 AM »
Looks great!   

Iminei

« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2020, 12:12:15 PM »
well ...Knock me down with a feather ... guess whats just appeared on the V3 group on Faceache  (you may not be able to see this as its a closed group) 

But a Decently written up and illustrated FREE pattern for the V3's all in one cover ... Truly a worthy jumpsuit for Elvis!

Even I can understand this .... Maybe next time ...  as along with my fabric booty the postman brought me a dongle with embroidery patterns for Elvis on ... So who knows, maybe this one will be a prototypo! (as they say in Milan)

Lowena

« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2020, 12:12:40 PM »
Looks good but why do you make life difficult for yourself?
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Iminei

« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2020, 12:17:23 PM »
why do you make life difficult for yourself?

???????????

Lowena

« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2020, 12:32:02 PM »
All the layering and quilting is what I meant  <3
My new Brother came with a proper hard case, same material as the machine.

Iminei

« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2020, 12:45:38 PM »
Mnnnnnnn

Well Elvistoo didnt ... so whats a girl to do ... Its the most expensive machine Ive ever bought (and that includes my cars )... and I want to look after him.

Lowena

« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2020, 13:21:46 PM »
Throw a sheet over it??? :D :D
Case looks nice, are you making anything pink? I'm considering it  :thinking:

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2020, 13:59:30 PM »
That looks good  :)

I've seen the free "pattern" this morning, and will be having a go at a cover for my V3.  I like the way it's an all in one cover for the main body and the embroidery arm.

Bet I don't have any fabric I like, most of mine is jersey, I may have to go for a browse around t'interwibble... Oh dear, what a shame, never mind  0_0

Flobear

« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2020, 14:30:44 PM »
@Iminei  I think it looks great and if I come for another playday sometime, I promise I won't look inside  ;) If, as you claim, you don't do 3D, I'm interested to know how you made 2D waistcoats back in the day  :rolleyes:
Proud new owner of Elvistoo !!